Status: WIP

Silver Wheel: Beginnings

Explanations

We sat in the living room as before, me in the centre and the boys two on each side. Sage had just finished bandaging my hand, which was only mildly burnt. I had gotten changes though before I came down, so I was now wearing a blue short sleeve top that was gathered on my chest, with my jeans and some white converse.

“What do you want to know?” Sage asked, he was the only one of them that didn’t look even slightly sheepish.
“Everything” I said, “Start from the beginning.”
“Well, where the beginning starts is blurred.” Sage said. He sighed before starting. “The four of us are together because we have a common goal; we all seek to find a certain ring. This ring has a vast amount of energy. It can protect its wearer from just about anything, making them all most untouchable. Our task was to find it and hid it so that it couldn’t be misused.
“The ring itself looks unremarkable; just a simple silver ring with little decoration. But, it has left a trail of death. You see, although the ring is powerful, it uses the wearer’s energy rather than its own.”
“How is that bad?” I asked, not following.
“It could kill you.” Flint said.
Dylan sighed. “He’s right. If the ring used too much energy it would exhaust the wearer to death. There is no way of stopping it once it has started to take energy.”
“We have been tracking it through history.” Sage continued, “It has been all over the world, but it has finally come home.”
I looked questionably at them. “What do you mean come home?”
“It was made in Wales. This country has been a place of magic for millennium. All sorts of powers are drawn here, including us.” Zac said, looking at me with a slight smile. “You might have guessed that we are not exactly your average person.”
“I think the fire told me that.” I said, eyeing Flint.
“Well, we are each elementals; having control over one element.” Sage said. “I think the oldest should go first.”
“Well, that’s very kind of you Sage.” Zac said. I frowned. “Yep, I’m the oldest. That’s only because I am a fae. I know that sounds strange, but it’s true. And yes cariad, I even have wings before you ask. Anyway, that makes me an air elemental. Dylan, your turn.”
“You didn’t say how old you actually are.” I said.
“Oh yes. Well, I’m about fifty.” He said casually. My eyes widened, making him laugh.
“Okay, well I’m a merman. I’m a water elemental obviously. I’m only 31.” Dylan said.
“Tail and all?” I asked.
“Yep, tail and all. Next.” He answered.
“Well, I’m twenty. I’m not as exciting as the others; I’m just an earth elemental. But, I’m in charge because this is my house and I’m the only one here who knows what they’re doing.” Sage said, laughing slightly.
When Flint didn’t seem about to talk, I asked, “What about you Flint. Well, the only element left is fire, so what else?”
“You’re wrong, fire isn’t the only element left; there is also spirit. But, you’re right, I am a fire elemental. I also have some daemon blood in me.” Flint said. “I’m seventeen.”
He then looked at me for the first time since he had dragged me back to my room; it was as if he was searching for something in my face. I returned his gaze steadily. When he didn’t find what he was looking for he turned away.
“Okay, so you guys are elementals, but where do I fit in?” I asked, looking at them all.
“I think you know that part.” Sage said. I held up my hand and showed them the ring. “Exactly. The ring chose you, and thus came home. Now, you must decide what to do.”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Well, you have three choices. One, you can keep the ring and go back to your normal life. Should you ever be in danger, the ring would draw on your energy to keep you safe. We believe that when you felt dizzy and close to fainting that was when the ring was taking energy.” Sage said.
“Two,” Zac took up, “You can give the ring to us and go back home. That way you would never have to worry about it taking too much energy.”
So far, none of them seemed to appeal for some reason. “And the last option is?”
“We could teach you to control the ring. You would have to stay with us from then on, but you wouldn’t need to worry about anything. Even if someone came after the ring you would be safe.” Flint said. “We could protect you.”
“What?! You failed to mention the someone come after me part!” I exclaimed.
“We are not the only ones who want the ring.” Flint said. “I believe you have met my brother.”
“Your brother?” I asked, and then remembered, “Thanatos?”
“Yes. He wants the ring, among others, but he is the closest threat for now.” He said. “He would like to use the ring for his own means; i.e. to control spirits. He is a necromancer, a spirit elemental.”
“I take it that would not be good.” I said.
“No.” Flint said, smirking, “defiantly not good.”
“One question, did you know I had the ring when I first met you?” I asked, the question directed mostly at Dylan.
“No,” Sage answered for him, “We didn’t. If we hadn’t found you the ring would have killed you eventually.”
“Lucky me then.” I said. “Is that everything?”
“Yes, but I think we would all prefer it if we could starting teaching you to defend yourself. Which element would you like to learn?” Sage asked.
“I would like to learn them all,” I stated.
“Good, you will need to learn the basics of each to be able to defend yourself properly. The question was more of a case of, which would you like to learn first?” Sage said
“Oh, okay, water then.” I said. Dylan looked incredibly relieved at that, getting up and taking my hand.
“This way.” He said, leading me outside.