Status: WIP

Silver Wheel: Beginnings

Gift With Good Timing

It was late when I found a clearing. A full moon was shining brightly over head, casting a sliver glow over my surroundings. It was a most beautiful sight. The stars shimmered and seemed to be smiling down at me. I stood in the centre and looked up at the constellations. I didn’t know the names of many, but that didn’t mean that I didn’t appreciate the sight.
“Who knew giant ball of fire could make such a captivating site?” someone said behind me. I jumped and spun around. Standing on the edge of the trees was Flint, staring intently at me.
“I don’t know, fire is not just a force for destruction, there is also a more gentle side.” I said.
“I was wondered where you had gone.” Flint said, moving over to stand next to me. “I love it here. It is about the only place where I get feel at peace and I don’t have to worry about damaging anything.”
We stood there and gazed up at the stars. They truly were beautiful. I had never seen so many before, what with all of the city lights. Soon though, the silence became defining and I couldn’t stand it any longer.
“I’m sorry about earlier. I didn’t mean to shout at you. It’s just that…” I ended lamely.
“It’s fine.” Was his only reply.
We both then stood gazing up at the stars again. After a few minutes, Flint took my hand and turned to face me.
“I have something for you.” He said, pulling something out of a pocket on his trousers. When I looked at it, I saw that it was a silver bracelet with a Celtic knot on it. He gently put it on my wrist and fastened it.
“Another Celtic knot.” I said.
“This one is to keep you safe. It will keep you connected with us so that if you are ever in danger we will be able to find you.” He explained. “It was Dylan’s idea to have some way of keeping an eye on you. Zac and Sage then found and performed the needed spell.”
“And you?”
“I can up with the design of the bracelet.”
“Well, it’s perfect.”
“It needed to be if it was to reflect the person it was for.” He said, finally looking up at me. “You are perfect.”
Then he put his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him; I didn’t resist. He then bent down and started kissing me. That moment seemed to last for eternity. Eventually, we parted and I was completely speechless. My face must have been a picture because he laughed lightly, his different colour eyes showing nothing but love for me.
Flint then took my hand and gently went to lead me back to the house. “Not yet; I need time to think.” I said. Flint nodded silently, releasing my hand. I watched him walk off into the trees, before turning and walking the other way.
I don’t know how long I walked in the forest before I came to a different clearing. I couldn’t tell how far the moon had moved in the sky because I wasn’t sure if I had turned as I had walked or not. Not that it would have made any difference; I won’t be able to tell how much time had passed from that.
This clearing was also flooded with cool moonlight. I stood as I had in the other clearing looking at the stars; they were defiantly smiling now. The moon too seemed to be glowing extra bright, giving the world a magical glow.
As I stood watching, a cloud passed over the moon, plunging me into darkness. I heard a light cough behind me; someone announcing their presence. I turned around, hoping that it would be Flint. I was along the right lines, but I was completely wrong; it was Thanatos.
“I can tell from your expression that you aren’t pleased to see me.” He said. I quickly started thinking of everything I had learned that day from the guys.
Thinking was my first mistake. My head was so busy going through ways I could defend myself until help arrived that I didn’t notice Thanatos coming closer until he was stood almost right in front of me. I quickly took a step back and made my second mistake; slapping him. Well, I tried to, but he caught my hand just before I could hit him. And to top it off, my third mistake, I had used my burned hand. So, that now meant he was holding my bandaged hand and sending shooting pains up my arm.
“Let go of me! Please, let go!” I begged, fighting back tears.
“And why would I do that?” He asked me. “Oh, I see they are keeping an eye on you. Well, we’ll have to do something about that now then, won’t we?”
I then started to feel tired. It was not the same as my ring, it was just an overwhelming urge to want to close my eyes and know nothing.
“Yes, that’s it, go to sleep now.” Thanatos coaxed, his voice sounding further and further away.
I tired to stop my eyes from closing. “Flint” I called, but no sound came; the darkness had already claimed me.