Status: WIP

A Stark and a Demi

Prologue

I know that you should start a story from the beginning, but I think I had better start where it went interesting.
I’m Kenna, a demi-god daughter of Skadi, the Norse goddess of winter, hunting, justice, vengeance and knowledge. I don’t know who my father is. I have bleach blonde hair that I like to keep long. It is usually tied back though, as I end up fighting a lot. I also have ice blue eyes. If you imagine them as baby blue you would be thinking to softly. Think of it as that colour in neon, and that would still not tell you just how bright they are. I also have a tattoo on my left arm that I have had from birth. It is my name in Norse Runes.
I am a brilliant archeress (if I do say so myself) (which she does), using an engraved bow (which conveniently turns into a bracelet) and a magic quiver (it is always full) my mother gave me along with a wolf pendant that I wear all the time. I can use throwing knives and have a descent aim with a gun (moderately descent).
I am usually quiet, staying in the shadows and out of the way. I would only talk when needed and would always be there to help others (I hope). But, around my friends I am a different person. I am louder, more confident and tend to end up in trouble (which in no way connected to me). Now, enough about me, to the story.

I was sat with my ‘trainer’, Hawkeye, watching the scientists fussing below us. They were working on something called The Tesseract, a powerful energy source that they were trying to harness. They didn’t seem to have made much progress with it since Tony Stark’s ancestor had pulled it from the bottom of the ocean, but I don’t know much about science.
Anyway, we were both keeping an eye on things when the Tesseract started playing up. It had been switched off, but it turned itself back on, pulsing with energy, so much so that I could feel it from my perch two stories above. Hawkeye immediately called SHIELD to inform them.
I had been working for SHIELD for years. They first came across me when I drew too much attention to myself by nearly killing a guy. It had been his fault; he had tried to rob me so I got my bow and aimed it at his head. To say I scared the hell out of him would be an understatement. I had been arrested (at aged 10, I might add) and Fury had got me out of it. In return, I would work for SHEILD.
Well, SHIELD took their time in coming (4 hours). When they did eventually show up, my friend Akilah came in with Nick Fury as she is his second in command. We have known each other since we were little. She is Tony’s daughter and (don’t let her hear me say this) she is very like her father. She has his looks, with dark hair and chocolate brown eyes. She also has his brains (being very good with problems) and his wit and sarcasm. She could talk for America but you would still not know a thing about her.
“Talk to me doctor.” Fury said as he walked into the testing area.
“Director” Erik Selvig acknowledged.
“Is there anything we know for certain?” He asked
“Yeah, he should have used Iridium so that the energy is more stable.” Kilah commented.
“The Tesseract is misbehaving.” Erik said ignoring her. Kilah snorted.
“Is that supposed to be funny?” Fury asked, raising an eyebrow.
“No, it’s not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she’s behaving.”
“How soon can you pull the plug?” Fury asked. They were now walking over to where all the scientist stood with a load of equipment.
“She’s an energy source; we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level…” Erik started.
“We prepared for this Doctor; harnessing energy from space.” Fury said.
“We don’t have the harness. My calculations are far from complete, and she’s interference; radiation. Nothing harmful.” Erik said.
“Low levels of Gamma radiation.” Kilah said, looking over his shoulder.
“That can be harmful.” Fury stated. “Where’s agent Barton?”
“The Hawk? Up in his nest as usual.” Erik replied.
“Agent Barton, report.” Fury said over the coms. Hawkeye got up and went over to the rope we had in place so we could get to ground level quickly.
“I gave you this detail to keep an eye on this place.” Fury said.
“Well I see better from a distance.” Hawkeye replied.
“Have you seen anything that might set this thing off?” Fury asked.
“Doctor, it’s spiking again.” A female scientist said. Both Kilah and Erik walked over to look at the screen.
“No one’s come or gone and Silvig’s clean.” Hawk said.
“Oh God, I surround myself with idiots.” She muttered.
“Watch it!” I breathed.
“Tesseract plus no iridium equals no stability, which equals big boom!” she said.
Then another strange thing happened (it was a day for it). The Tesseract started to hum louder than usual and then it shot out a pulse of blue energy. Some of this energy then pooled itself in the ceiling, with the rest cleared away around the Tesseract to reveal a man. He was dressed in green and black with a spear/sceptre thing in his hand. It had a glowing blue thing in the top, a little like the Tesseract itself. I recognised him vaguely as Loki, god of mischief and lies.
“Or opens a portal.” Kilah said. “What are the words I’m looking for… oh yes, I told you so. Seriously, where did you dig this old coot up from?”
Great, I thought, time to hide. It’s not that I’m a coward; I just would rather that the gods didn’t know about me. It would make my life more complicated than it already was. Being part of SHIELD was hard, but being part of SHIELD and being a demi-god is harder. It is better if I don’t mix the two. In fact, only Akilah knows I’m a demi.
I watched as four SHIELD agents armed with guns slowly advanced on the crouched Loki, who then slowly stood facing us. All of the other people in the room stood silently as they waited for something to happen.
“Sir, please put down the spear.” Fury shouted.
Loki looked at his left hand as if only just realising what he was holding and then brought it up. Just then, Loki looked up and shot a blue energy blast from the spear at Fury, but Hawkeye pushed him out of the way in time so that it went soaring past.
All hell broke lose then. The men opened fire as Loki leapt at them, killing one man with the sharp end of his spear. He spun around and sent two daggers flying into another two agents, instantly killing them. One agent beside him got up to attack, but he received the same treatment the others had. Loki slashed at him with the spear and sent him to the ground.
I went quickly over to the rope and zipped down to ground level to hide behind some of the equipment. I then took out a hand gun that I sometimes kept on me and sat crouched ready to shoot.
By now the other agents had come out of their shook and had brought out hand guns. They, along with Hawkeye, opened fire on Loki, who seemed unaffected by the bullets. Loki sent a bolt of energy their way, which only Hawk managed to avoid. Loki then turned to the fallen agent at his side that had just got up, and kicked him so hard that he sent him flying into a wall. I heard a sickening crack as he broke his spine sliding down the wall. Loki then turned, expecting to see more coming for him.
The lab was now in a complete ruin. Some of the equipment was on fire, while others were just a mass of broken metal. Agents lay dead on the floor where they had fallen, and only about six of us were still alive.
Hawkeye was starting to get to his feet as Loki came running over. He still had his gun, but Loki was too close to use it. I watched as Hawkeye tried to swipe the spear out of the way. I tried to get a shot, but I was afraid of hitting Hawkeye. Loki blocked a punch and held Hawk’s arm away from him.
“You have heart.” I heard Loki say to him.
I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Fury was slowly removing the Tesseract from where it was in the machine and putting it into a carry case so that we could get it out of there as soon as possible. Kilah was over by the wall not far from him, clearly trying not to be seen as she made her way closer to Fury.
I turned my attention back to Loki as he put his spear over Hawkeye’s heart. I was too curious to know what he was doing to think about shooting him. I watched as energy followed from the spear into Hawkeye and something odd came over him. He stiffened and I could have sworn that his eyes turned black for a moment. Loki removed the spear and smiled at Hawkeye as he holstered his gun.
Fury removed the Tesseract then and shut the case just as Kilah got to him. Loki was repeating the process with another agent, seemingly turning good people against us. Just as Fury made to leave, Loki decided to acknowledge him.
“Please don’t” Loki said not turning around. “I still need that.” He turned to face the leaving Fury.
“This doesn’t have to get any messier.” Fury said.
“Of course it does. I’ve come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose.” He said.
“Loki,” Erik said, getting up for where he had been checking a scientist’s pulse. “brother of Thor.”
“We have no quarrel with your people.” Fury said, trying to reason with him.
“An ant had no quarrel with a boot.” Loki said.
“Are you planning to step on us?” Fury asked.
“I come with glad tidings of a world made free.” Loki said.
“Free from what?” Kilah asked.
“Freedom. Freedom is life’s great lie. Once you accept that in your heart…” Loki said, spinning around and putting his spear on Erik’s chest. The same thing that happened with Hawk happened to Erik. “… you will know peace.”
“Yeah, you say peace. I kind of think you mean the other thing.” Fury said. Kilah was now edging over to Hawkeye and waving her hands in front of his face.
“Hawkey, snap out of it.” She said.
I could see Loki moving behind her. “Kilah, don’t…” I started. She turned around and Loki put his spear to her chest. “… turn around.”
“Sir, director Fury is stalling, this place is about to blow. He’ll drop a hundred feet of rock on us. He means to bury us.” Hawk said, and I willed him to keep his mouth closed.
“Like the Heroes of old.” Fury said.
“He’s right,” Erik said, “the portal is closing in on itself. We’ve got nearly two minutes before this places blows.”
“Well then.” Loki said.
“I’m sorry Kilah.” I said as I watched Hawkeye shoot Fury in the shoulder. I got up from my hiding place, drew my bow and sent a blunt arrow into her. It knocked her to the ground, making her hit her head. That earned me the attention from Loki, who turned and shot energy at me. I dived out of the way and waited for them to leave.
Once I was sure they had left the room I got up and headed over to Fury. “Let me see.” I said. I quickly took a look at his shoulder wound. “It’s not too bad. From what I can see there is not too much damage.”
I looked around and saw that the case containing the Tesseract was gone, along with Loki, Erik, Hawk, Kilah and the agent. Great, I thought, just great. I helped Fury to sit up and then took the bullet out of his shoulder as he sent out a message on the coms.
“Hill do you copy? They have the Tesseract.” Fury said as I helped him out. The room was starting to break up around us.
“Kilah! Kilah!” I shouted into my ear piece as we ran through the corridors. I was hoping that she would answer me.
As we burst out of the building, I heard agent Coulson on the coms. “All clear in the main building sir.” He said. Fury and I jumped into the helicopter and he closed the door after us as we took off.
I watched out of the window as the ground seemed to heave. Then a shock wave erupted and the ground started to cave in, destroying everything. I watched closely as a few cars raced away from the destruction, one of which had Loki and Kilah in the back. The helicopter banked to flow it just as I heard a groan from my com.
“Kilah!” I exclaimed. “Thank the Gods.”
“Headache” Kilah complained. “I’m psychic.” She said after a pause.
“Don’t listen to her, she gets high on oxygen.” I heard Hawkeye say.
“Hey that’s not very nice.” Kilah whined.
We followed the car and I watched as Kilah fought a little with Loki before deciding better. She activated her suit, which was a black version of her father’s, and flew off. This then gave me and Fury the perfect chance to open our doors and shoot at the car, him with his gun and I with my bow. Well, I say perfect. That was before Loki decided to shoot the helicopter.
The helicopter started spinning out of control, forcing both me and Fury to abandon it as the pilot tried his best to keep it slightly straighter for us. Both of us managed to get out just before the helicopter hit the ground. The pilot wasn’t so lucky.
“Director, do you copy?” Coulson said over the coms.
“The Tesseract is with a hostile force. I have men down. Hill?” He relayed.
“A lot of men still under, I don’t know how many survivors.” She replied.
“Sound a general call. I want everyone not on rescue looking for that briefcase.” Fury ordered.
“Roger that.” Hill replied.
“Coulson, get back to base. This is a level 7. As of right now, we are at war.” Fury said.
“What do we do?” Coulson asked.
“What we planed.” Fury replied, switching off the connection.
“You two alright?” Fury asked, turning to me and Kilah, who had flown over to us.
“Fine,” I replied, then whispered to Akilah, “except for the twisted ankle, bruised arm, grazed knee and aching back.”
“Fine.” Akilah said between giggles. “I can fly!”
I couldn’t stop laughing after that.
(At the end of this, I was running away from a flying girl. You just keep thinking happy thoughts Akilah. Hey, we had to do something to lighten the mood!)
♠ ♠ ♠
Brackets may get confusing as it is a conversation between my Kenna and Kilah.
Italics=Kenna
Bold=Kilah