Don't Go Into the *** House Tonight

One

"Cade!" My mother called out as I brushed through my hair. I scowled at my reflection. I was all bronze skin and red hair, dyed of course. I rolled my eyes as I looked away from my reflection. Even now, I was still so damned insecure. Everyone always said my skin was perfect because I was mixed. My mom is white and my dad is black, but I always hated my looks. I always hated myself.

"What?" I called back, letting the brush drop onto the sink with a clink. When I didn't get a response, I groaned and headed out of the bathroom. She always did this shit. She would call me and then I'd answer and she wouldn't respond back just so I would find her and then do whatever dumb ass task she had planned out for me, but how could I not love the woman? She was my real mom unlike the asshole who I ran into while walking out.

"Where's my mom?" I asked. My step-father looked at me with these eyes that just screamed that he was judging me. So what if my hair was bright red? So what if my pants had two different patterns on the sides? One a solid black and the other a checkerboard of red and black. Who was this dick to judge me?

"She's in the living room" he said before heading back into his room. I rolled my eyes and headed out to the living room. We weren't living so classy. It was hard to live classy in a place like California, but we managed to live in a half-decent neighborhood with little crime. There were a lot of roaches on the other hand which I found disturbing at best.

"Cade!" My mother called again. I rolled my eyes as I sat down on the couch and looked at her. She was staring blankly at the tv that was not on. I supposed she wanted me to turn it on, but I wasn't sure. She had these moments where she acted so…strange. We'd seen a psychiatrist about it and he had said she had Post-Traumatic Disorder. He wouldn't tell me what exactly happened to get her like this, but I had mused up a few ideas. I was worried about her though. I just wanted to make it better.

"Ma?" I questioned, but she didn't look over at me. I sighed and brushed my hair back with my hand. The hair fell back in place, tickling my bottom lip as I inhaled, trying to stay calm. The silence was awkward and nerve wracking. I shook my head finally and stood up. She grabbed my hand as I did so. Her blue eyes locked to my brown ones. She had always been so nervous about letting me go to school. She'd even tried to convince me to become home schooled again, though I had been until now, my final year of high school and I didn't understand why. I liked my school. No. I loved my school. I had so many cool friends. They all were so nice and they actually made me feel okay. They made me feel not so alone.

"Stay" She begged and I shook my head, pushing her hand away. I knew she was seeing something that I couldn't see. I could tell from the way her eyes glazed over as if she were reminiscing over the past, but this was the now and now I was going to school. I went back into the bathroom, putting on some eyeliner and putting my hair up in a loose ponytail. I grabbed my bag from my room, kissed my mom on the cheek good bye and then headed for the bus stop.
It was cold considering it was late October and the feel of Halloween was almost everywhere. I was the only kid in high school in this neighborhood so I sat alone on the pavement. I pulled out a cigarette, my guilty pleasure, and lit it. I took a drag and I felt myself calm down. I hadn't even realized I'd been freaking out until now.

When the bus finally came, I put out the cigarette and threw it down the drain. I looked up at the house in front of me. No one had lived there in a year or so. The last family had been some Hispanics, but they had ran out one night screaming bloody murder and they never came back. I had always wondered what was up with that house. The Murder House they called it. I caught sight of something in the window as the bus pulled up in front of me and I stood to my feet. I couldn't tell what it was, but I wanted to find out. I climbed onto the bus and sat down in the back. As we drove off, I looked back at the Murder House, seeing the shadow of a boy in the window.

***

"Cade!" Mel said in her death metal voice as I approached. I rolled my eyes. Holy shit I loved this girl, but sometimes she was a little weird. She was about 4 foot 11 inches at most and her hair was a long light brown. She reminded me of a little goblin. Ever since I'd given her a doughnut, she'd been calling herself my sex slave. Heh. That's Mel for ya.

"Hey" I smiled and wrapped my arms around her, hugging her tightly. She was so huggable. She buried her face in my tits like she always did and started making those weird screaming noises. I just went along with it. I was used to it by now. When I finally let go, I gave a weak smile to her boyfriend, Mikey. He was a lanky guy with glasses. He had these dazzling blue eyes though that kind of gave me the creeps. We were a very weird crowd. Nuff said about that one.

"Are you ready for the ass rapeage?" Jordan, another one of my friends, said as he attempted to bend me over. He was about a foot and a half taller than me which made this all the more uncomfortable. I just hit him in his arm and he let me go. I turned around and glared at him. He just shrugged and hugged me. He was a chubby guy with curly hair. He also wore glasses like Mikey and had the tendency to be very very touchy. Most people didn't mind it though, but that was one of the few things I was not used to yet. Physical contact made me extremely nervous.

I looked behind me to see this girl with a scar on the side of her face. I'd seen her before, but I hadn't given much thought to her. Suddenly I was curious. There were rumors of what happened. Some had said she had went into the murder house with one of the girls who used to live in the house as well as go to this school…well before she killed herself.

"What happened to her?" I asked Mel who was all hugged up on Mikey as usual. A hand came up behind me and wrapped around my waist. I let out a groan of frustration, knowing exactly who it was. It was this guy who thought he was in love with me. His name was Bobby. He was absolutely insane though. He was always talking about "father's" orders and darkness and shit like that. I could only handle so much weird.

"Didn't you hear? She went in the murder house with Violet" I turned to look at Bobby. He sounded like he knew exactly what he was talking about, so I resisted the urge to push him away, in hopes of getting more information. I tilted my head, signaling for him to continue.

"Really?" He shook his head, letting me go on his own accord, "She bullied Violet, this weird chick, and so I guess she took her to the murder house and they were both attacked in the basement by some…some thing" He shrugged, "She's convinced it was the devil. Stupid bitch" I frowned and sat down at one of the tables outside, rubbing my arms. Bobby took a seat beside me and I looked up at him.

"You going to the Halloween dance next week?" He asked me. I hated dances and I most certainly did not want to go with him. I shrugged and looked down at my hands. I didn't want to look at him. He reminded me of a bear. He was a sweet guy when he wasn't being extremely creepy and telling me to embrace the darkness, but I just couldn't get into him. The only guy I had found interest in at this school was a total douche bag named Kyle. He was one of those guys who seemed so perfect at first, but then ended up acting like he was a spawn of Satan or some shit. He'd really broke my hear with his bull shit.

"Well I was wondering if-" Bobby started, but speaking of the Devil, Kyle made his way over and sat down right beside me. He was so beautiful with his shoulder length black hair and those deep brown eyes, but he was a player. He knew he looked good and he used it to his advantage. I hated how he somehow managed to hold control over me even now, when he had obviously thrown me away last month like yesterdays trash. I looked away as his arm wrapped around my shoulder.

"Hey!" He smiled at us. He was wearing those stupid teal jeans that I loved so damned much and a grey jacket because it was so damned cold now. His teal converse didn't match his pants and random people had doodled on them, but he still managed to look good. Not to mention he smelt good.

"Hey" Bobby looked deflated. He knew how I felt about Kyle. Bobby said he couldn't be mad at me or Kyle for the way I felt, but I could tell he was seething in jealousy. The poor guy. I didn't say anything and I could feel Kyle staring at me. What the hell did he want? I was finding it hard to breathe as I felt his gaze on me. I ran my tongue over my lips because they suddenly felt dry. God. I hated him so much.

"Cade, I was wondering if maybe you'd wanna go to the Halloween dance with me?" Kyle asked and I heard Bobby gasp softly. Kyle had beaten him to the punch line and yet I still didn't want to go. I hated him with the fire red, but I loved him. I loved him so much and I had told him this. Fuck Kyle for using my feelings against me.

"Sure" I mumbled. Now I would have to worry about what the hell to wear. I hadn't bought a costume, which was obviously what you were supposed to wear to the Halloween dance otherwise it wouldn't be a Halloween dance. It'd just be a dance.

"Great" Kyle kissed my cheek and I shivered at the contact. Oh fuck me. He saluted at us before heading off to go hug his bitches and hoes. Bobby looked at me, banged his hands on the table and walked off. Talk about moody much? My eyes moved across the many faces and I caught sight of that girl again. I stood up and followed her as she walked through the crowd. She looked back at me, as if knowing I was following before walking into one of the buildings of the school and going into the bathroom.

"Do you believe in the devil?" Her voice rang through my ears as she pushed me against the door of the bathroom stall. Her eyes reminded me of my mom's. She was mentally scarred by whatever she saw in that house. I could tell that now. I shook my head.

"You're just like that Violet girl" She pushed me against the stall door with a loud bang. Why was she being so violent? I held onto the wall, trying to keep my balance. She looked at me with those crazy eyes. Maybe this whole school was insane. It had to be.

"I warned her that the devil could be beautiful" She whispered and tears ran down her cheeks as she looked at me, "He's after you too" and with that she was gone, walking out at a speed I couldn't imagine catching up with at the moment. I just sat down on the tile floor and took it all in. What the hell was she even talking about? I shook my head, burying my face in my hands. Maybe I should have stuck to being home schooled.