I'll Carry You Home Tonight

Chapter 12

After a short phone call to my mother she met me outside the hospital, my father lifted Amber in to his arms, she was a mess drifting in and out of consciousness and covered in blood, I pitied her she must have some pretty sick stuff going through her head to make her behave in the way she does.
After a few hours of waiting her name was called, by this time she was able to walk, stumbling around foolishly, the nurse shook her head from side to side in disgust only to be met with a sinister glare from my mother, Amber was now well and truly part of the family.
After nurses tested her for multiple ailments she was nearly entirely sober, as one nurse left we were sat in silence for a few minutes in the bright sterile room, the strong smell of bleach lingered in the air making my chest feel tight, amber was laid up on the green surgical couch staring at the ceiling, pain and sadness visible on her gaunt face. I took her hand and gently squeezed it stroking it with my thumb taking extra care not to knock the drip that was sticking out of her dark blue swollen vein.
She was a mess, she looked over at me there was a look in her eyes almost begging some one to save her from her self I gently squeezed her hand reassuringly. She remained quiet as My mom gently stroked her hair out of her face.
A short black nurse walked in to the room and glared at Amber I glared defensively back in her direction a tall thin nurse pulled a trolley in full of medical equipment the black nurse ordered Amber to lift her shirt, my stomach tied in to knots as it became clear what the nurses began to suspect, they applied the clear jelly to her slightly alcohol bloated stomach and she winced at the temperature, as the tall thin nurse began to scan her stomach a few small tears slipped from her eyes, she glanced up at the screen as the small wiggling image made it abundantly clear that Amber was pregnant.
The black nurse looked at her
“Congratulations you’re about 7 weeks gone”

Amber let out a pained yelp I pulled her to my chest as she sobbed heart broken.