Footprints in the Snow.

1/1

The snowflakes fell gracefully, each drifting down of its own accord, but together they looked like nothing but a chaotic sheet of white. The snow had been threatening for a while now, but it was only today that it had finally relented and showered the city in frozen flakes of white. The city was covered, down to every last inch. It wasn't an overly surprising occurrence - snow, in Scotland, in December? Well, that's nothing new - but it still brought great joy to the people. Young ones especially, grinning as they realised that with the icy weather, they would be free to lie in as long as they liked, and could spend the day keeping themselves entertained with the snow, rather than boring themselves to death in a classroom.

It wasn't just little children who enjoyed it though. Kevin woke up at the crack of dawn, and heaved himself out of bed. His eyes refused to open and he walked around looking through what were barely more than slits. He was dreading school, as per usual, but as he wandered over to the bathroom, he stopped short. There was something odd. He peered out of the window, and practically gasped at the sight. A fresh blanket of snow had been draped over the city, and it appeared he hadn't been left out.

"Ya fuckin' dancer!" he exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear as he dashed across the room.

Sitting by his bedside table was his phone. Normally he would check it every morning, but it was something he'd forgotten to do when he woke up. He could have saved himself the trouble of getting out of bed if he had, though, seeing as he had texts from at least four of his mates, each reading near enough the same thing - there was snow, and lots of it. The one person who hadn't texted him, however, was the very one he was hoping to speak to. Sifting through his contacts, he found the name he was looking for and hit the 'call' button.

He was greeted by a rather pissed off sounding American voice. Well, it was more of a grunt really. "Meurgh?"

"Good morning to you tae, Sleeping Beauty," Kevin chuckled, no longer tired, not even in the slightest. It's funny what even the tiniest bit of snow can do, isn't it?

"I'm sleeeeeeeeepiiiing," Harry groaned, and Kevin could hear a crackling sound as Harry presumably rolled over.

"Aye, but did you no see whit's ootside?"

Harry groaned again, sitting up slowly and lifting the phone to his ear properly. "I haven't gotten out of bed yet, let alone looked outside. This better be worth it."

There was a brief silence as Harry shuffled over to the window, quite like a zombie in his sleep induced trance. Parting the blinds just a little, he peered out onto the deserted street below, almost dropping the phone when he realised what Kevin meant.

"Holy shit! There's snow!" he yelped. Normally Kevin would have laughed at him, poking fun at 'the American kid who's never seen snow', but instead he left it.

"Aye, so get yer arse over here noo. I fancy buildin' a snowman." He grinned as he said it, imagining Harry as he tried to help. He'd probably put the carrot on wrong and give the poor snowman a willy or something. Ah, Americans.

Harry nodded, forgetting that Kevin couldn't see him. "Right, give me, like, five minutes or something and I'll call round."

"Awright," Kevin agreed. "See you then, mate." And with that, he hung up, beaming.

---

He decided he couldn't be arsed with a shower. Partially because he'd showered the night before, but mainly because it was absolutely freezing and he didn't fancy catching pneumonia. Instead he got changed quickly, pulling a hoodie on and plonking a beanie on his head, not bothering to brush his hair beforehand. No one was going to see it anyway.

It wasn't long before he heard the doorbell ring, and he raced down the stairs to open it before his mother had even had a chance to stand up. He pulled the door open with a stupid goofy grin on his face, and pulled Harry inside before he'd even gotten to say hello.

"Hello, Harry," Kevin's mother greeted him warmly, but Harry's reply was cut off as Kevin grabbed his hands and went to drag him back outside.

"No noo, ma," he sighed, dashing outside and closing the door behind him. He waved to his mum from the window, and she merely shook her head, going back to watch whatever terrible TV show she was watching before Kevin and his boyfriend had interrupted her viewing session.

Kevin bent down, scooping up a handful of snow while Harry had his back turned, then walked up to him casually.

"C'mere and geez a kiss." He smiled innocently and Harry stepped towards him, wrapping his arms around Kevin's waist.

Kevin looped his arms around Harry's neck and the younger of the two leaned forward, his eyes half closed when he felt something cold and wet at the back of his neck. Almost as if someone had tipped a bucket of icry water down his shirt. He looked around, puzzled, before he realised what had happened. "Did you... Did you just throw a snowball at the back of my head?" he asked, frowning at Kevin.

Kevin cackled as he ran off to the other side of the garden, gathering more snow as he went. "Of course no. Why wid I want tae dae that?" His facial expression gave it away though. He was never one for keeping a straight face.

"You wee bastard," Harry said, shaking his head in disbelief, before grabbing a handful of snow himself and lobbing it at Kevin.

They continued doing that for the best half of the day, just firing snowballs at each other, and absolutely freezing one another. It was only an hour or so later that Kevin remembered why he'd actually asked Harry round in the first place other than just to see his gorgeous face.

"We need tae make a snowman," he announced, while Harry continued to collect more and more snow. "Ah'm serious! Make a snowman wi me please."

Harry raised an eyebrow sceptically, then dropped the snow he was holding when he caught sight of Kevin's expression. He was beyond freezing, but if Kevin wanted to make a snowman then they were going to make a snowman.

Kevin started by rolling up the body, a lumpy block of ice that left a clear patch of grass beneath it whenever they'd formed it completely. Harry worked on the middle section, sighing in frustration as it broke into pieces once again. Kevin giggled and held his hands out. "Here, geez it," he offered, laughing as Harry obliged straight away, and it wasn't long before it was perfectly moulded. Their snowman was starting to take shape. Kevin showed Harry how to form the rest, aided by many years experienced with wintery conditions, and left him to finish making the head while he ran inside again for a carrot and a couple of buttons.

When he returned again, Harry had finished the head and was attempting to lift it onto the snowman's body. He eventually managed it without cracking its skull in two, and behind him Kevin cheered.

"Shut up, you," he huffed, shoving the other boy who simply laughed at him.

"Shut it and help me stick these on," he told him, handing Harry the carrot, while he placed the buttons carefully into the hard snow.

They sat back five minutes later to admire their handiwork. "No bad, ey?" Kevin smiled proudly, and Harry had to agree.

"It's pretty wee though," he admitted. "What do we call it?"

"Andy," Kevin stated almost immediately, and Harry shot him a questioning look. Kevin shrugged. "Well, he's short."

Harry tittered, and wrapped his arms around Kevin gently, before tackling him to the ground. Ordinarily it would've hurt, but the impact was softened just a little by the snow, even though it was unbelievably cold. Kevin rolled over, so Harry was the one lying in the snow. The American boy winced a little, still not entirely used to the Scottish climate. Kevin picked up on it straight away, feeling a little guilty. He decided to help warm Harry up the only way he could think of: by pressing his lips to the other boy's. Harry's lips were as cold as ice, but he ignored it as he kissed his boyfriend, and after a moment or two in which Harry had time to adjust to everything, he kissed back.

They lay there in the snow together, content, ignoring the burning sensation they both felt as the icy chill seeped through their bodies.

"Harry?" Kevin mumbled, snuggling up.

Harry shuffled down further. "Yeah?"

"I love you."

Harry smiled at that, lifting his hand to stroke Kevin's hair. "Hey, Kev?" he whispered.

"Mhm?"

"I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Twiggy said it was snowing so I looked and it wasn't (probably because I'm in Ireland and not Scotland) and I was disappointed so idk this happened last night
IT'S SO BAD THOUGH I'M SORRY ;_;

My laptop almost had a fit with my spelling when I tried to be all Scottish and every time I tried to write 'snow' I wrote 'snoz' :c