The First day After the End.

Waking up During the End

Pain. That's all I can feel. I can't open my eyes. Something is overcoming me, like a black veil of death. My time has come. Take me away God. Take me to Your Holy Kingdom...

My eyes opened slowly. I couldn't feel my arms. Asleep, I murmured. I sat up, looking at my surroundings. My room, still the same way as it was when I fell asleep. Relieved, I got out of the bed, and walked down the stairs to the entryway. No reason to change my clothes, I thought as I walked out the door into the eternal abyss.

The grass was dead, destroyed by the flames of war. Nothing was left, other than the dull brown hue of the dirt. Nothing would grow in this area, and it was the same for the rest of the country. Looking down the road, I could see what remained of my small Iowa town. The grocery store that had been gutted well before the apocalyptic warfare, and the theater, razed to the ground, with the marquee the only surviving feature. The library had miraculously survived, and to my surprise, it was unlocked. I opened the door, and walked in. The same smell of parchment and plastic book covers hit my nose. I looked around, grabbed a few books that seemed like good reads for the road, and walked outside.

-- Later that day, around 7 P.M.

Driving down the road, heading towards the capital, Des Moines. In the last broadcast on the television, I had heard that everyone was to head there. For some reason, my family chose not to go. We sat in the basement of our house, waiting. I passed out, and when I woke up, no one was there. I couldn't find them. Maybe they chose to leave me back, and head to Des Moines, those backstabbing fuckers...

-- 10 P.M.

I reached the outskirts of Des Moines. It was dead silent. The first time in over a century that this area had known this still peace, but it paid the price for it. I got out of the car, and headed down the old interstate. With no weapon, I was vulnerable to anyone, or anything. Suddenly, down the road, under the complete darkness, the sound of a car window smashing caught my undivided attention...
♠ ♠ ♠
My first story. Sorry if it isn't as great as it seems, but there's always room for improvement! Give me feedback, and thanks for reading! :D