Status: new and updating!

Coming Home to You

one.

Abby's iPod was streaming her favorite songs throughout her large studio apartment, while she did some basic cleaning. She hummed and sang a few words to herself every few minutes, gradually starting to dance, as well. She thought she was finished until David Holmes' "I Heard Wonders" came blaring from the docking system on the living room table, filling the apartment generously while Abby grinned in content. She started singing the words out loud, her hand moving the broom across the hardwood floors to the beat. She did a few spins and ended up in the dining room, her blonde ponytail whirling around her head as she continued twirling.
Before she could continue, the music dimmed, and she came to a halt. She placed the broom against the wall, and walked back to the living room where she saw her best friend, Rory, whom was grinning.
"Do you always scream like that when you're alone?"
Abby playfully narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips, but letting out a laugh.
"Maybe. I do a lot of odd things when I'm here alone."
Rory lifted an eyebrow, then plopped on the couch, letting out a sigh.
"And what odd things might they be?"
Abby let out a giggle, but headed into the kitchen, putting the kettle on.
"Want tea, Rory?"
She reached up into the top cupboards, and retrieved two mugs along with the tea bags, already knowing the answer. She heard a muffled "Sure" from the living room, smiling to herself.
She walked back out to Rory, plopping on the couch beside him and let out a sigh. She felt gross. Her hair was in a messy ponytail, she was wearing a plain red tank top, sweat capri pants, and mismatched socks. Rory looked her up and down, facing her a bit more on the couch, making her start to turn red from embarrassment.
"What's with the rag doll getup?"
Abby rolled her eyes, and examined herself, holding the belly of her tank top out a bit.
"This is my best Stepford Wife outfit. I've gotta be domesticated sometime. Who am I trying to impress, anyway?"
Rory smiled a bit, not liking the sound of her being domesticated. Abby was too fun and cool to be domesticated. He knew she was only doing it because Jeremy wanted to the perfect housewife, kids, and white picket fence routine; something he knew Abby didn't want.
"I guess. Just saying you look like a total bum."
Abby scoffed and playfully shoved Rory further from her.
"Rory Clewlow, did you come here to insult my clothes and drink my tea? Or is there a more sensible reason?"
Rory chuckled, but before he could answer, the kettle started whistling, beckoning Abby to pour the cups. She was back moments later, and handed a mug to him. He thanked her, took a small sip, and placed it on the old coffee table. Abby took a sip of hers, as well, placed it on the table, then eagerly tucked her legs under herself.
"The guys and I are going out tonight; you know, just to chill out. I wanted to know if you wanted to come."
Abby smiled and shrugged, stretching out her arms with a fake yawn.
"Maybe. I have no plans tonight, but all this cleaning sure made me tired."
Rory laughed and playfully pushed her, making her land on her back on the couch. She decided to stay there, her hands resting on her stomach. Rory looked at her and bit his bottom lip, his eyes scanning her in desire. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever laid his eyes on, and he would do anything for her. When they were younger, Rory and Abby's parents always told each other that their son and daughter were going to get married. They were just too perfect for each other. They had the same sense of humor, they listened to one another, and they hardly ever argued. Rory could still kick his own ass for not asking her out in high school - when he had a real chance. Now, she was with this guy Jeremy, who she hardly saw because of his business. It was very annoying to Rory.
Before he could think anymore annoying thoughts, Abby lifted her head to look at him. She smiled, making his heart flutter. He faced her even more on the couch, his one leg bending on the cushion while the other was still dangling.
"So?"
Abby shrugged and laid her head back down.
"Of course I'll go with you guys. Do you really think I'm going to willingly let you boys loose on society?"
Rory shrugged, a chuckle escaping his lips. He took another sip of his tea, and he tried not to choke when Abby's foot touched his mug. She let out a laugh, as did he when he placed his mug down.
"You ass."
She laughed even harder, as Rory shook his head, laughter slowly taking over him, as well. He loved the sound of her laugh. It was the best sound in the world. He could listen to it all day.
After a few moments, the two came down from their high, Rory motioned her her desk that was positioned facing the large, cathedral windows.
"How's the book coming along, Abs?"
Abby stared at the ceiling, pinching a loose string form her tank top between her two fingers. She was writing a paranormal thriller book. She always claimed that it was her morphed childhood filled with horror movies and creepy ghost stories. In high school, all she talked about was writing books and making it "Stephen King" big. It was her dream, so Rory always saw to that she was keeping to it.
"It's coming along, slowly but surely. I don't know. I've just been lazy lately."
"When was the last time you wrote something?"
Abby looked at him, and shrugged after a few seconds of thinking.
"About three or four days ago, I think. I don't know. I've been lazy lately."
Rory smiled at her and leaned on his side, his head resting on her thighs, just above her knee caps. She grinned and patted his head, her fingers slowly tangling in his hair.
"I don't want you to stop writing. You're amazing at it."
Abby just nodded and watched as he turned a bit, so his chin was now resting on her knee cap, looking at her.
"Anyway, if you stop writing, than you're gonna be a loser like the rest of us. At least you're good at something."
Abby's eyes widened as she lightly flicked Rory's forehead, making him flinch.
"You're good at something, Rory. You're an incredible guitarist. Don't talk like such a wiener."
Rory chuckled, and shook his head, sticking his tongue out at her. She just flipped him the bird, making him do it back. The two always caught themselves staring at the other, but it wasn't weird or awkward...it just happened. The two were always thinking the same thing.
"Please be mine", or "Just tell him/her, man. Just say it".
But, of course, neither of them did.
Before Rory could retort, the front door opened, making him sit up. There was Jeremy, his tie loosened and his suitcase in his hand. Abby sat up, got off of the couch, after giving a small smile to Rory, and approached her boyfriend. She pecked his lips and looked him over.
"Hey, babe. How was work?"
"It was alright. A little slow, but it always is."
Jeremy's eyes were trained on Rory as he slowly stood up and walked over to him. Rory held out his hand as Jeremy examined him. Rory was wearing a random band shirt, jeans, and beat up Addidas shoes, while Jeremy looked twice his age in a nice suit and leather shoes. Rory felt foolish. He felt inadequate and he felt like a joke.
Jeremy reluctantly shook Rory's hand, murmuring that it was nice to see him. He turned his attention back to Abby, who was smiling politely at the two.
"So, babe. I want to take you to dinner tonight. I got something big planned."
Abby smiled at first, but then looked at Rory, who had an eyebrow raised. She looked at her boyfriend, and shrugged, motioning her head to Rory.
"Oh, I promised Rory and the guys that I would go out with them tonight."
Jeremy looked at Rory again and sighed. He mumbled a "Fine, then", and walked out of the room. Abby shook her head as Jeremy closed the bedroom door, and she looked at her best friend.
"Sorry. He probably just had a bitter day. I'll call you tonight."
Rory shoved his hands in his jeans pockets and cleared his throat.
"If you wanna have dinner with him, then go. Honestly, I won't mind. I'm sure the guys won't, either."
That was one of the few lies Rory had ever told in his life. He minded very much that she went to dinner with her boyfriend. He was a jerk, and so absorbed into his work that he had no idea how perfect his girlfriend was. Jeremy didn't see her; not like Rory did, anyway.
"I'll talk to him and see what's going on with him. I'll talk to you later, Rory C.."
Rory smiled and she gave him a hug. He breathed her scent in as she nuzzled into his neck. She giggled as she pulled away.
"What?"
"Your beard. It tickles, but I like it. Keep it."
Rory grinned and nodded, walking to the door. They said goodbye one last time, and Abby closed the door behind him. He took a deep breathe as he walked down the hallway, a hand running down his face. This was pain. The girl he loved was in her apartment a few feet away, where he just was, alone with her boyfriend. He was an idiot. He cursed himself, wishing they had more time before Jeremy showed up. But, as usual, the odds were not in his favor. He punched the down button on the elevator, and when it opened with a loud "Ding!", he slid down the wall, and landed on the ground. He laid his head in his hands and let out a deep sigh. He just wanted Abby, nothing else.

Abby walked to her bedroom, seeing Jeremy sitting on the bed, fiddling with his tie.
"Hey, babe."
He looked up and gave her a blank face.
"What's wrong?"
He sighed, and ran a hand across his forehead.
"I want to make sure that you are into this relationship as much as I am."
Abby furrowed her brows as she stood in the middle of the room.
"Of course I am, Jeremy. I wouldn't be standing her if I wasn't."
Jeremy nodded and looked up at her as he smiled.
"I really wish you would come out with me tonight. There's something I really have to tell you, but not now."
Abby tilted her head, and it was her time to sigh. She sat beside him, and their eyes locked. She gave a small smile and placed her hand on his smooth cheek. 'So unlike Rory's', she thought to herself.
"What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?"
Jeremy kept eye contact with her, but shook his head slowly.
"Something I've been planning for a long time, darling. Something that I've put a lot of thought in."
Abby smiled and nodded. She could go out with the guys any night, and she was only going out with them tonight because she had nothing else planned. Now that Jeremy was giving her very odd answers - answers that made her curious - she knew she should go to dinner with him. It would not only satisfy her boyfriend, but her, as well.
"Okay, babe. Let me shower and get ready, and we can go to dinner."
Jeremy smiled even bigger, and kissed her lips. He ran his hands up and down her sides, making her groan quietly.
"You're the best, Abigail. You won't regret it."
Abby smiled and watched him leave to get his usual glass of wine; something he always did when he got home. She walked to the large connected bathroom, and started stripping. A nice hot shower was just what she needed after spending more than half of the day cleaning. She scrubbed her hair and body, then stepped out.
After the mundane activity of picking out a plum dress, grey jacket, and black pumps, Abby quickly dried her hair and did her casual make up; black eye liner, a bit of mascara, and nude lip balm.
Jeremy called her to the living room, and he just tapped his watch as she walked in, a glass of wine sitting on the table.
"It's already 6:30. I wanna get there in at least an hour."
She nodded as she walked past him, picking up her and Rory's mugs, then taking them to the sink in the kitchen. She placed her hands on the sink and took a deep breathe. She looked and saw a whole wine bottle empty already, and another one half full. Those weren't there when she cleaned earlier. Jeremy must've opened both of them. She didn't mind he drank at all; it was just...that was a lot of wine in such a short amount of time. She rolled it off and ran a hand through her hair.
She was starting to feel guilty about ditching the guys for dinner. After repeating the sentence "you can get a drink with them anytime" a few times in her head, she felt a little more relaxed.
Going back into her room, she picked up her phone to call Rory. It rang three times, then he answered.
"Hey, Abs."
She grinned and played with the bottom of her towel that she was still wearing.
"Hey, Rors. What are you up to?"
"Just sitting at home, waiting for Batty to get me."
Abby nodded to herself and took a deep breathe. Why was she so nervous talking to Rory? She cleared her throat, and continued.
"Listen, Rory, I, uh...I won't be coming out tonight. I talked to Jeremy, and he's making a big deal out of dinner tonight, so I think I'm going to go with him."
Rory paused, making Abby anxious. She didn't want him to be mad or disappointed. He spoke up after about thirty seconds of silence, and cleared his throat.
"Yeah, yeah, that's fine, Abby."
"Are you sure? I mean, I can always get a drink with you guys."
Rory was sitting on his couch as he held the phone to his ear and stared at the floor. He was upset. He really wanted her to come out tonight. He was always looking forward to seeing her. Sure, he saw her about three hours ago, but it was only for a few minutes.
"Yeah, exactly. Have fun tonight, and I'll see you tomorrow."
Abby smiled on the other side, thankful for her best friend being so understanding.
"Thanks, Rory. I'll see you tomorrow."
They both hung up, and held their heads in their hands. Rory shoved his phone in his pocket as he continued waiting for Chris to pick him up so they could go to the pub and drink the night to piss. Abby placed her phone in her matching black clutch bag, and continued getting changed. After doing her hair, she was ready, and just in time.
She walked out to the living room, where Jeremy was still anxiously waiting, twirling a glass of wine in his hand, taking a long sip, polishing it off. She cleared her throat and he immediately looked at her, his eyes widening. She smiled a bit and gave him a spin. He approached her and held out his hand, which she instinctively took.
"You look beautiful, Abigail."
"As do you, Jeremy."
He pecked her lips, and she could immediately taste the red wine on his lips. He held her hand as they made their way downstairs. He would steal glances from her, and she just smiled at him or kissed his cheek. She was even more curious as to what was making him so fidgety. He kept patting his pockets, or fiddling with his watch. It was making her nervous.
The whole car ride, he was doing the same thing.
"Jeremy, you're making me nervous."
He looked over at her, and turned the radio down a bit so he could hear her better.
"Why's that?"
She held her hand out in example as his free leg was twitching.
"You're so anxious and it's making me worried."
Jeremy shook his head in assurance to her, and gave her a smile.
"Don't be worried or nervous, babe. I'm just excited, that's all. Honest."
She smiled politely back, but something didn't seem right. Or, maybe she was being paranoid. It was probably nothing.
They arrived at the restaurant, the valet opening Abby's door for her. She thanked the kid, and Jeremy came around to take her hand. They were quickly seated and a bottle of wine was brought over. The restaurant was a little crowded, making Abby thankful that they were able to be seated in such a short amount of time. Quiet violins were playing throughout the restaurant, but were nearly shut out by the chatter going around.
"You do look beautiful, Abby. As usual."
Abby looked at her boyfriend and smiled. She thanked him as she placed her hand in his that was extended across the table. His thumb ran across her knuckles, giving her goosebumps. He gleamed at her as she took a sip of her wine. A waiter came over to take the orders, and quickly departed when the two were done.
"So, what was so important that you were about to explode in the car?"
Jeremy bit his lip, suppressing a chesire grin, while Abby held her head up in one hand while the other was still in his.
"Abigail, I wanted to bring you here tonight to let you know that I've been in love with you since we've met. I don't think you realize how important you are to me. I care about you and love you more than I ever have for another human being."
Abigail felt her heart race and her face heat up. She placed a hand over her mouth to cover her goofy smile.
"I love you, too."
Jeremy smiled and took a small velvet box out of his pocket. He placed it on the table, and slid it across the linen table cloth, stopping before Abby's small serving dish. Her eyes widened as Jeremy took a sip from his glass, anticipation in his eyes.
"Open it. Please."
She started to tear up and shake as she struggled to open the box. When it let open with a small "pop!", she let out a quiet sob. It was a diamond ring in a beautiful silver band. She held it in front of her face as tear after tear streamed down her face. She sniffled but smiled at Jeremy as he got up from his chair. He knelt in front of her, kissing her hand that was trying to wipe away her tears.
"Abigail. WIll you do the honor of being my wife?"
♠ ♠ ♠
:)