Status: new and updating!

Coming Home to You

two.

"You said 'yes'?!"
Abby grinned at her old high school friend, Lisa, whom was sitting across from her in the coffee shop a few blocks from her apartment.
"Well, yeah. I mean, that's what people who love each other do, Lisa. They get married."
Lisa smiled and nodded her head.
"That's great! Was it romantic?"
Abby took a sip from her tea, blowing on it first.
"Yeah. He took me to dinner and started out with how much he loved me and how he wanted to be with me forever and all that stuff. It was very sweet."
Lisa clapped giddily and gushed about how cute it all was.
"Have you guys talked about a date yet?"
Abby shook her head 'no', and ran a hand through her naturally straight blonde hair. She adjusted the sleeves on her long sleeved sweater, pulling them down to her wrists.
"No, not yet. He only proposed to me last night."
Lisa smiled again, but it soon faded as she took a sip from her own tea. Abby noted her face and asked her what was on her mind.
"Do the boys know?"
Abby bit her lip, realizing that the boys had no idea. She had just been so caught up in her own thoughts and phoning her parents and close relatives that her best friends didn't even cross her mind at all.
"No. I actually completely forgot. I've just been occupied. I'll ring them later."
Lisa kept her eyes on Abby, deciding in her head that she would ask the question that had been circling in her mind since Abby told her the news this morning.
"What do you think they'll say?"
"What do you mean?"
Lisa gave her friend 'you know what I'm talking about' look, but answered anyway.
"You know...Rory...?"
Abby furrowed her brows, playing dumb. She knew about the tension between herself and her best friend. He would a bit bitter about it, but they weren't dating, obviously. Rou and the others have always teased the two about just fucking already and start dating, but because Rory never asked or had a two week-girlfriend once in a while, it never happened.
"What about Rory?"
Lisa let out a chuckle, shaking her head, mumbling about Abby being foolish.
"Come off it, Abby. The boy has been in love with you since fifth grade. How do you think he'll take it. Or, do you want me to tell you?"
Abby felt a little annoyed. Her friend was badgering her about Rory's feelings, not even considering the huge milestone she has made. She was engaged to be married to Jeremy. She cared about Rory's feelings, for sure, but it wasn't about him. It was about her. She was happy with Jeremy, even though she didn't see him everyday like she did her best friend.
"You're gonna tell me, anyway", Abby replied, not even bothering to hide the sudden frustration in her voice.
Lisa didn't notice as she spoke freely.
"He's gonna hurt, Abs. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm not happy for you, cause I absolutely am, but...it's gonna hit him pretty hard, you know?"
Abby shook her head, and placed her hand on the table after running it across her forehead.
"Lisa, it's not about him, alright. Yeah, I understand, but he should've acted on something in high school. It's not my fault that he was too scared."
Lisa kept her eyes on Abby as she sighed loudly in aggravation, sipping her tea again. Lisa took this momentary silence to ask another burning question.
"You're gonna tell me that you've never thought about being with him?"
Abby's eyes widened at the question that took a lot of nerve. She didn't know if she should answer. Yes, Lisa was her friend and she should be honest with her, but that was the question that could come back and bite her in the ass. She was silent for a few seconds, and before she could answer, Lisa spoke again.
"I'll take that as a 'no, i have, Lisa', then."
"No, no. Lisa, that question is too much."
Lisa raised an eyebrow, folding her arms on the table.
"Is it?"
Abby stared at her friend, actually speechless. How did this happy morning suddenly take a dark turn? She wanted to share this wonderful news with someone who would actually be happy for her, but now she was regretting it.
"Come on, Abby, talk to me. You can tell me. You know I'm not a gossiping big mouth."
Abby bit her lip and let out another loud sigh. She ran both hands through her hair as she looked down to the floor. She had thought about it a million times since her and Jeremy started dating. It's not like Rory never crossed her mind in that manner. They've had the 'best friends' title since fifth grade, so the thought of dating him was always there; practically haunting her. However, his absent question of being his girlfriend always left her thinking that that was all he wanted - best friends. Now that Lisa kept talking about it, she felt stricken with anxiety.
"There's nothing to tell. I love the kid, really I do, but...", she stopped. She knew this conversation would turn even worse and make her say something that would make her second guess everything.
"But what?", Lisa pushed.
Abby just shook her head, knowing she was done.
"Nothing. I just came to have tea and tell you about this great news, and you've got me thinking all of this shit that shouldn't even be thought about."
Abby stood from her chair, grabbed her coat and bag, and walked out of the coffee shop. She felt stupid. She felt like a fool. She could deny her feelings for Rory that have been there since childhood, but she knew it wasn't true. The constant flirting, the late night talks and hangouts, the venting sessions about random things in life; he was perfect. However, Jeremy was mature in a sense that he knew what he wanted. He wanted marriage, a house, and eventually, children. Abigail questioned all of the time whether she wanted Jeremy to be the one who pursued these things with her, and since marriage was the first step, she was going to run with it. She was happy with Jeremy. He was fun, funny, had a great job, and knew how to take care of himself. Why not him?

Sitting on the sofa in her living area, Abigail stared at her mobile. She should call the boys; one of them, anyway. Maybe a drink tonight and break it to all of them, or something, instead of calling them individually.
She took a deep breath, and dialed Rou's number. After a few rings, he picked up.
"'Sup, Abs?"
She smiled, standing up from the sofa.
"Not much, Rowzer. What's goin' on with you?"
He cursed to himself quietly, and hummed for a few seconds. He cursed again.
"Nothin'. Just stubbing my fucking toe, is all."
Abigail giggled and started pacing.
"Well, when you're done with that, I want you and the guys to meet me at the pub tonight. I got big news for all of you."
Rou was quiet for a few seconds, then she heard him sigh as he plopped on the couch.
"Sure, sure. Can I have a hint?"
Abby chuckled again and shook her head, forgetting that he couldn't see her.
"Of course not. You can find out if you hooligans meet me at the pub tonight. You, Batty, Rob, and Rory. Understood?"
Rou sighed in faux aggravation and let out a laugh, agreeing. They decided on eight o'clock and hung up. She placed her phone on the coffee table, and mentally decided that a hot shower was in order.
After she got out, she heard her phone in the other room beep, meaning a text message was sent. She walked towards it and slid the unlock bar. It was from Jeremy.

hey babe. another late night. won't be home till the morning. sorry, love you.

She stared at the message, and decided it was for the best. She could go out with the guys and not worry about Jeremy getting a bit mad about not wanting to spend the time they hardly had together with him. She replied -

that's fine. i'm gonna hang with the guys tonight for a bit. see you tomorrow, love you too.

She smiled as the words "love you" came so easy when it was directed at Jeremy. She knew she loved him. She knew he loved her. Lisa didn't know what she was talking about.
Or did she?
Abigail hit herself lightly on the head, scolding herself. She couldn't be thinking these things. It wasn't fair to her, and it wasn't fair to Jeremy.
She got dressed in a long sleeved dark blue top, a black knit button up sweater and dark jeans with her black flats. It was a casual night of finally seeing her friends after being busy for a few days. She couldn't wait.

The pub wasn't as crowded as it usually was. The fact that it was a Thursday night was a logical explanation. She spotted the boys after a few moments of her eyes scanning the place, and smiled as Rob jumped up and waved her over. She hugged them individually as they stood up. Rory was the last one. He gave her his usual smile and hugged her. She couldn't help but inhale his scent; Rory. That was the only way to explain it.
She took a seat and poured herself a pint from the pitcher that sat in the middle of the dark wooden table. She removed her sweater and hung it on the back of the comfortable chairs - the same chairs her and the boys have sat on since their first drink when they were sixteen. The boys beamed at her, eagerly awaiting the news. She placed her pint down after letting out a satisfied sigh.
"So...", Rou spoke.
"What?"
Abby grinned as they jeered at her question.
"You know what", Rob practically yelled. "Why are we here?! What's the news?!"
She laughed and cleared her throat.
"Alright, alright. This is big so you guys have to relax."
"Are you pregnant?!"
Chris slapped Rob in the head, telling him to let Abigail speak. Rory looked at her and waited impatiently for her to talk. Half of his napkin was already ripped up in anxiety. He felt like he already knew what she was going to say, but gave her a chance.
"Um, you're looking at the future Mrs. Jeremy Thompson."
All four pairs of eyes widened, but only three of them cheered and congratulated her. She smiled at them and thanked them. They bombared her with questions such as "When?" and "How?" and "When's the date?".
She answered them, and looked at Rory, whom was staring blankly at the floor. He snapped himself out of it when Abigail cleared her throat, and smiled politely at her.
"Congrats, Abs."
She looked at him, not believing his words nor his smile. Fuck, Lisa was right. He looked like he just watched his dog get run over. He looked hurt. Abigail reminded herself in her head -
It's not your fault. This is your life. You shouldn't have to worry about him. He's a big boy. He's obviously not that much in love with you or he would've done something about it.
She cleared her throat again, taking another sip from her pint.
"I'm happy for you, Abigail."
She thanked Chris as Rob held his own pint up.
"To the future Mrs. Thompson. For a long, happy marriage with Jeremy, and may your first child be a masculine child."
Abigail and her friends laughed as they all clinked glasses, Rory not that enthusiastic. He just smiled and took a long sip, polishing his beer off. He poured another one, and continued staring into space. He tried to make himself look happy, but was feeling the complete opposite.

Four hours and many pints later, Abigail decided to call it a night. She had to get up at about ten to at least attempt to write. It was her job, anyway. She had an article due on Monday about the Royal Wedding and barely had anything written.
"Alright, boys. This is where I leave you."
Three jeered as Rory was taking another long sip from his umpteenth pint. She stood up and slipped her sweater on, making sure to grab her bag.
"Fine, then. But don't be a stranger anymore. We want to help you with this thing", Rou said, scratching his head that was hidden under his cap.
"'This thing' meaning my wedding?"
He chuckled and nodded, Rob and Chris agreeing verbally as Rory nodded, not wanting to completely blow her off.
"Fine, fine. Pop over anytime, guys, you know where I live."
They all agreed and yelled goodbye as she left the pub. She hailed a cab since she had walked there, and knew it was best considering six tall glasses of beer were churning in her stomach and affecting her balance.
She walked in her apartment, relief washing over her. She was tired and finally home. She reached into her pocket, checking her phone and saw that Jeremy had texted her a few hours ago with an okay. be careful.
She smiled and placed it on the charger in the living room. She sighed and shrugged her sweater off, laying it across the back of her sofa that faced the cathedral-like windows that she loved so much. She brushed out her hair and threw it into a messy bun atop her head, and quickly changed into her sweatpants and a tee shirt.
She removed her makeup in the bathroom, but when she was done, she continued looking the mirror. She couldn't stop thinking of Rory's face; the disappointment and the hurt that was displayed very obviously on it. She felt so bad, and yet so mad.
Who was he to get upset? She wasn't her boyfriend. She was her best friend and suddenly felt very upset that he didn't look happy as well as not saying much the whole night. He could've at least attempted to seem happy for her. But, what good would that have done? She knew it would've been a lie.
'This is fucked up' she thought to herself.
She knew how he felt about her, and what pissed her off even more was that she felt guilty. She was supposed to be happy and giddy about getting married to Jeremy. Her boyfriend that loved her and did so much for her.
"Whatever" she mumbled aloud.
She got to her bed and plopped under the blankets, the alcohol making her feel a bit dizzy. She should've gone to bed that night dreaming of her wedding and replaying last night when Jeremy had proposed.
No.
She went to bed with Rory's face holding that hurtful look that she hated so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
whaddya think?