Status: new and updating!

Coming Home to You

three.

Papers flew across the apartment as Abby huffed in frustration. She was trying to piece her thoughts together for her book, but her mind was not cooperating. She had too much on her plate to sit down calmly and focus. She took a deep breath, and held her hands out in front of her, trying to relax. Lisa had called and apologized about giving her crap about Rory, and that was a relief, but the conversation was still in her mind. Hell, Rory was on her mind a lot of the time, making her feel even worse.
She stopped thinking. She tried thinking aloud to give herself a positive boost.

Jeremy is coming home in a bit. We're going to have a nice dinner, we're gonna try and talk about the wedding, going over important details, and everything is going to be fine. It's what a want, dammit, and I'm gonna get it.

Abby smiled to herself, knowing she was going to make a big dinner for herself and her fiancee and they are going to have a nice night in. Looking at the small clock on her desk, she saw that it was half past four, and she should start dinner.
Steak, potatoes and a few vegetables would be perfect. Something simple, yet delicious. Of course, it would be conjoined with some wine and candles. She grinned, opening up the refrigerator and letting the steak defrost a bit. She double checked that she had candles and at least two bottles of wine. She was sure she had the wine, considering Jeremy practically couldn't live with out. She frowned for a second, thinking that every time Jeremy was over her apartment, he would drink till he fell asleep, blaming it on his stressful day.
Abby mentally waved the negativity away, reminding herself that his job was indeed stressful at times, and he was an adult. She suddenly grew sick of the stiff, quiet air, and decided to plug her iPod speakers in. Van Morrison started, "Into The Mystic" strolling through the open area, and joining her in the kitchen. She grinned, moving to the song. The song was one of her favorites, and had decided when she was just a child that this song was to be her wedding song. She was final on it, and could care less what anyone had to say about it. It was peaceful, lovely, and, come on...it's Van Morrison! Who could argue with that?
The song continued and Abby had already taken the potatoes out to mash them up. The iPod continued pumping out her favorite songs, and before she knew it, she was more than halfway done with dinner and she looked up at the kitchen clock, seeing that it was almost six. Jeremy would be home at about seven, and she was making great time.
A few moments passed and she heard her phone going off in her room. She power walked to the noise, and saw that Jeremy was calling. Speak of the devil...
"Hey, you", she answered with a bright smile.
"Hey, beautiful."
She giggled to herself and ran a hand through her straight hair.
"What's up?"
She heard Jeremy clear his throat on the other side of the phone as his fiancee waited patiently for a response.
"Babe, I uh...I was asked to stay late tonight. I don't know when I'll get back. I'm so sorry."
Abby opened her mouth in shock and suddenly felt furious.
"Are you kidding?!"
Jeremy was silent as she began to pace her spacious bedroom in anger.
"Jeremy! We've planned this night for days! How can you not even consider that?!"
"I did! Abigail, I can't say no! It's not like I can't use the money! I'm the only one in this office that knows what they're doing and it's important to me and-", he was cut off.
"It obviously is if you're willing to ruin a night between you and me!"
Jeremy sighed loudly in aggravation as Abby was still fuming.
"Abby, I'm sorry, alright? I'll make it up to you."
Abby rolled her eyes and ran a hand across her forehead.
"Fine, fine. I guess I'll see you later."
She hung up the phone, too mad to continue the conversation. She shoved her phone in her pocket as she walked back to the kitchen. She saw the finished potatoes and the vegetables all cut up on the cutting board, and the steak ready to be prepared. She unplugged her iPod speakers and tossed the cord to the side.
She mumbled a 'whatever' and took her phone out again. She wasn't going to spend the night in her apartment, swearing aloud and being swarmed by her frustration. She scrolled through her phone and came across Rou's number. She dialed it, and after a few seconds, he answered.
"Oy, Abs! How are ya?"
She grinned for a second, but cleared her throat.
"Oy, Rows. I was just calling to ask what you were doing tonight."
Rou sighed loudly in thought, as he always did, as she let out a small chuckle.
"Um, the boys are over and we're just watching some television and maybe playing some Sega Megadrive. You interested?"
Abby thought for a minute, and figured why not? She wasn't busy.
"Sure! I'll be over in a few minutes."
"Perfect! See ya then!"
She smiled as she hung up, and started getting changed. She had planned on wearing her little black dress and doing her hair all nice, but now, she was picking out a Johnny Cash tee shirt, jeans, and her old Chucks. After running a brush through her hair and redoing her eye liner, she threw on her maroon sweater and jogged to the front door. She grabbed her keys, her bag, and left to Rou's house.

Abby walked through they Reynolds' front door as if she lived there herself. As a kid, she practically did, so it was just an old habit that stuck. Rou's parents came from the kitchen to see the intruder, but smiled when they saw Abigail taking her shoes off respectively at the front door.
"Abigail! Dear! Nice of you to make an appearance!"
She laughed at Mr. Reynolds and made her way over to them. She gave each of them a hug and made a bit of small talk.
"So, what brings you here, sweetheart?"
Abby motioned her head to the stairs to the right, and smiled.
"I'm here to see what the goons are up to. You know how it is."
The couple laughed, and Mrs. Reynolds held her hand up to the staircase.
"Please do. Someone has to keep an eye on them."
Abby smiled and gave them a small wave, heading up the familiar squeaky staircase. She came to Rou's sticker clad door and invited herself in. The boys were scattered across the bedroom, eyes immediately going to her as they heard the rickety door.
"Abby! You're here!"
Abby smiled and gave them each a hug. She came to Rory and gave him a small smile. He returned it and stood up, hugging her. She smiled even bigger into his neck, mentally thanking God that he wasn't being odd like he was at the pub. She plopped on the bed next to Rob, whom had the controller in his hand. He was in the middle of playing Sonic, and she started laughing as Chris was yelling out commands. Rou joined in once in a while, and soon, it was like they were teenagers again. This was the scene when they were in high school. Everyday, after school, it would either be at Chris' or Rou's to play video games and watch television, and getting into debates or deep conversations. Abby always looked back on it as the best time of her life.
An hour or so passed, and Abby had just finished a level within a few minutes, making the boys jeer.
"You're cheatin'!"
Abby looked at Rob and started laughing.
"How's that, Rob? You were watching me the entire time!"
Rob held his hand to the television, displaying why he was mad.
"You've played this more than all of us combined! You know the levels and their tricks."
She shrugged and passed the controller to Chris, whom was on the floor next to her legs.
"Well, you shoulda thought of that before giving me the controller."
Rob waved his hand at her, making her playfully slap it away. The five laughed and Abby announced that she had to use the bathroom.
She left the bedroom, still chuckling at how loud they were being. You could the boys miles away, and she could only laugh.
After using the bathroom, Abby washed her hands and checked herself once in the mirror. She opened the bedroom door, and saw Rory leaning on the wall across from the door. She jumped slightly, not expecting the sudden visitor.
"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."
Abby smiled politely, and told him that it was okay.
"What's on your mind that's so important, Rory?"
He gave her a small smile and shrugged.
"I just wanted to talk to you about something that I think we should acknowledge."
Abby's heart started racing. She knew this had to be about mixed feelings and such. God, it was like they were bloody sixteen again.
"S-sure."
He nodded and ran his hand across the back of his neck, a nervous tick that she had noticed throughout the years.
"Listen, I know the past few days I've been a total ass, and I wanted to apologize."
Abby nodded, signaling for him to go on.
"It's just...it's been particularly difficult for me, considering how close we are. I almost feel like once you're married, I'm never going to see you again. You'll be too busy living your new life and giving yourself completely to...him."
Abby noted how he referred to Jeremy, but she let him go. She was a little surprised at his explanation, thinking that he would confess to love for her and whatnot. What else could she expect? Now he was making it mostly about their friendship. This was odd. However, before he could go on, she spoke up.
"I see. Rory, listen. Thank you for apologizing. I honestly appreciate it. And you shouldn't worry about you not seeing me. It's not like I'm moving a million miles away. I'm still going to be in my flat, and yes, maybe Jeremy and I will get a home together, but we'll still be here. You think I could leave you so easily? I'm a bit insulted", she added with a chuckle, trying to lift the spirits.
Rory just smiled to himself, his eyes on his shoes. He fidgeted a bit, and finally made eye contact again with Abby. He took a deep breath.
"I just don't want to lose my best friend. I...I love you, Abigail. I just want you to be happy."
Abby's heart stopped. Rory never ever called her by her full name. "Abby" was the nickname that had always been, and her full name was either used by her parents or Jeremy. She felt warm. It felt so nice coming from Rory's mouth. She nodded at him, and started smiling.
"I love you, too, Rory. I really do, and I would never leave you or the boys. You guys are everything to me and if anything ever happens, just know that I'll always be here."
Rory smiled and the two joined in a hug. Abigail kissed his cheek, his stubble tickling her lips. He smiled against her neck as she did against his. They parted and he placed a kiss on her forehead. She smiled up at him, and the two walked back to Rou's bedroom. The boys looked at the two, and Rory went back to his spot on the floor.
"Did you apologize for being a total twat, Rory?"
Abby suddenly burst out laughing at Rou's comment as he watched the screen. Rory smacked the back of his head, making the room erupt. As the two separated, she smiled to herself as she looked around. These guys really were her best friends. She was always happy and having a good time when she was with them. She could never imagine just up and leaving, and never seeing them again. They were a huge part of her life and in that moment, she knew they always would be.
Her phone buzzing in her pocket snapped her out of her thoughts. She scrambled to get it out and saw that it was a text from Jeremy.

i'm really sorry again, babe. i swear i will make it up to you. promise x

Abby stared at the text for another few minutes before Chris interrupted.
"Miss Abigail! What do ya think you're doin'?"
Abby smiled at him and closed her phone, and shoved it back in her pocket.
"Absolutely nothing, Mr. Christopher. Now go on, continue with the game you're failing miserable at."
The boys laughed as Chris shook his head, going on about how he's better than all of them at the video game. Abigail looked over at Rory, whose back was against the wall closest to the bed, and he turned to look at her. He smiled, and she felt like a teenager again. She smiled back.
In that split second, the last thing she could think about was Jeremy.
♠ ♠ ♠
thoughts?