I Won't Give Up

Greg

I felt anger flood through me for a long moment before sadness over-powered it. "I hate to have to do this, Dawson," I whispered before looking at him. I saw his face show recognition when he realized what I was planning on doing.

"Greg, please don't! It'll ruin your dreams!" he pleaded, wrapping his arms around me. "Please!"

"Dawson!" I exclaimed, pushing him away from me and looking deeply into his eyes. "It has to happen! You made me realize I have so much potential that I can make it far. Right now, though, our daughter needs her family, and if giving myself up to the damn police is what it takes to have her in your arms, then so be it."

"Greg, we need you!" he said, his voice cracking. "We need you!"

"Yes, but the longer I'm in the shadows, the longer she's away from you," I whispered, kissing his lips for a long time. Breaking away, I pressed my forehead. "The others will look after you while I'm gone. As long as we don't try another prison break, I shouldn't be locked up for more than a couple years at most. Just ... stay strong. Also, find another way to get out of this place. If they see any of you come out the same way, Ameila will never come back to us." I kissed Dawson one last time, wrapping my arms around him tightly. "Everyone in. Now!" I said, feeling the others come and join us. Huddling, I looked at every single person here.

"We've all had a long run together, some longer than others. What we need to do -- or, rather, what I need you to do -- is keep a close eye on Dawson and Ameila, keep them protected. I've made so many mistakes, this last one killing me on the inside. Keep me posted on anything and everything. Do whatever you can to possibly make my stay shorter." They all nodded before we went in for a group hug.

Breaking apart, I watched the others run off to another part of the subway to get out. Taking a deep breath, I whispered, "I'm doing this for you, Ameila. I'm so sorry it had to be like this. Stay strong, sweetie, and know that daddy loves you." Shaking myself, I walked up and out into the broad daylight, watching the city life go on.

Before I could take a step farther, I felt hands grab me and force me to the ground face down. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you." I didn't say a word as I felt the cold metal against my wrists yet again. "What made you think you could last long on the lam?" the officer asked.

"Honestly, I thought I could get away with it," I said as I was forced on my feet. "I realized there was no point in hiding any longer." The officer said nothing more as he put me in the cruiser. As the door closed, I looked out the window and saw a pair of flame-haired twins, two blondes, and two brunettes. I met the gaze of Dawson, who looked so broken.

Although they were all about thirty feet away, I watched as they all made hearts with their hands, making my eyes water. I watched as they all took off towards the school, knowing they were all needing the support of one another until I can get out for real, and not due to a jail break.

I settled into the seat as the car took off towards the jailhouse, not knowing what lied ahead of me now, knowing that I was most likely never going to be able to step on Broadway again. This time, I truly believed I've fucked up everything.