I Won't Give Up

Greg

It was taking everything within my very being from letting my anger control me. As I walked the darkened streets of New York, I saw various people pass by me and then scurry off to get as far away as possible. I fought for my life to get where I am now, and I am not letting whoever took my daughter away from me start fucking it up now.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand, making me flip it open. "Hello?" I said, not stopping my pursuit.

"I think we have a lead," said Jackson, who sounded like he was in his car. "I studied the note in which Dawson found. I've seen the same handwriting so many times, I could copy in my sleep. Also, the paper in was written on isn't too common in the stores, it has to be ordered from certain retailers."

"So, who's our supposed suspect?" I asked as I came to a stop at the three way intersection. Within seconds, a familar red car pulled up, the doors unlocking.

"Get in and I'll tell you," came Jackson's voice. Hanging up the phone, I got in the car. We sped into the city with nothing more than anger in our blood. Mine froze to solid ice when the name left his mouth.

One Hour Later

"It can't be her!" Dawson said, freaking out far more than I have ever seen him before. "She's helped us out so much!"

"It's the only lead we got, and you've got to admit, don't you find it rather odd that she didn't press charges against you two for the relationship?" Jackson asked, fiddling with his car keys.

"She was so nice, though!" Dawson said, falling to the floor in a heap.

"I knew we should have said we had a surrogate," I said, sitting down on the chair beside where Dawson was lying.

"Why? To hide the truth of how Ameila got here?" Dawson asked, glaring at me through watering eyes.

"Just from certain people. As you can see, some people don't take it too well," I replied, causing Dawson to come over to me and lay his head against my knee.

"Any idea where she lives?" Dawson asked, looking at Jackson expectantly.

"She won't be there, she'll be out at her vacation home in Maine, which of course I know where it is," Jackson said, standing up.

"How do you know so much about her?" I asked, standing up and grabbing Dawson's hands. It was a good thing I was standing by a chair because the news Jackson gave me made me fall back to the seat.

"She's my mom," he said, looking as if he were about to cry.

30 Minutes Later

Once everyone was packed up for the trip, we headed out for Maine. "I can't believe Doris would do this kind of thing. She seemed to fall in love with Amelia."

"She is a well-trained performer. All it takes for her is a little gesture here, a small expression there, and if anything, a little sigh," I said, grabbing Dawson's hand in my own. "we'll get to her, I promise." Pressing a small kiss his the inside of his wrist, I glanced back at Jackson who looked utterly heartbroken. Untangling my hand from Dawson's, I popped in a CD, knowing that it would make everyone's fear melt away for a little while.