I Won't Give Up

Greg

"I think we should go back home," Dawson said, looking up at me with a look of sadness. "Back to Michigan." I reached across the table and grasped his free hand in mine. I could see the pain, anger, and sadness whirling around in his eyes. I know he wanted to stay here, but at the same time, I knew he feared for Ameila.

"We'll get our stuff together tomorrow morning," I said, causing him to nod. "Do you want to fly? Or would you rather drive home?" I watched him stare at his plate, moving around what little food was left on it. After a few minutes, he answered.

"Drive. That way we have more control over the vehicle," he said simply, causing me to nod. I was about to ask him about a car seat when the Mahoney's walked into the room.

"Everything all right?" the Mrs. asked, looking at the both of us warmly. We nodded, and Dawson met my gaze. Silently asking if I could tell them, he inclined his head slightly.

"We're going to be moving back home," I stated, causing both Mr. and Mrs. Mahoney to stare at us both in confusion. "Back to Michigan. After all the most recent events, we feel as if we'd be safer back there. We just can't put Ameila through all that again."

"What about Broadway? And the schooling?" Mr. Mahoney asked, looking nothing more than curious.

"We'll probably come back in a few years, if everything settles down enough," I said, smiling weakly at Dawson. "It's always been a big dream of mine, but right now, my family is what I've got to look out for." Mr. Mahoney agreed and for the rest of dinner, no one spoke.

Time Elapse -- Next Evening

We had the car packed up, Ameila in her car seat asleep. Dawson and I said our goodbyes to the Mahoney's, telling them we'd call once we made it to Michigan. Just as we went to get into the car, the twins, Jackson, Fiona, and Wil, all came running up the street. Out of breath and looking a tad disoriented, Kylie said, "Why are you guys leaving? We need you here!"

"We'd love to stay, Kiki, but ... we have to do what's best for Ameila right now, and staying here isn't it," Dawson said, walking over to the flame-haired girl and grabbing her hands in his. "We'll keep in touch, I promise."

"Keep the training up, gang," I said, looking at all of them individually for a brief moment. "Don't stop because we're leaving. You've all progressed very well since we arrived, and I don't want you to fall back to where you were."

None of them said anything, just hugged us before stepping back away from the car. Dawson and I slid in, closing the doors and buckling up. We waved one more time before pulling out slowly so not to jostle Ameila.

Hitting the highway, we watched the nightlife of New York buzz to life as the day life shut down. We got all this way to have to head back, but I knew we'd be back before we knew it.

Time Elapse -- 1 1/2 hours

We were halfway there, just getting back to the car after relieving our bladders and grabbing a bite to eat. Making sure everyone was in nice and tight, we eased our way back on the highway. I had just pulled into the far left lane and looked back only to see a red car on our tail. Looking in the mirror a little harder, I saw a familiar hand pop out of the window, the silver ring glinting in the lights that lit the highway. "What is it, Greg?"

"Apparently, we have more passengers than expected," I replied, rolling the window down and sticking my hand out, letting Jackson know I knew it was him. Before I looked forward again, four more hands popped out, and I laughed, giving them all a thumbs up. "This is going to be interesting." Looking at the road before us, we continued on, talking about how school was going to be a little different with everyone from Juilliard coming there.