I Won't Give Up

Greg

Walking through the back door, I walked into the living room and noticed a still form on the floor. I almost thought it was just a rug when I noticed a slight rise and fall, then heard a ragged intake of breath. Running over to the body, I raised him up and turned him over. The slight fall of his hair was stuck to the side of his face where the sweat had started showing.

"Stick with me, Andrews," I whispered, trying my best not to jostle him. I was barely out of the front door when I was stopped by Ameila, Bell in her arms.

"Is momma gonna be okay?" she asked, looking scared and worried. I looked into her deep blue eyes, my eyes starting to water.

"I don't know, sweetie," I whispered, motioning for her to follow me. "Stay close. Keep your senses going." I saw her switching Bell to one arm and then grab hold of my pant leg. It was when I noticed she had a backpack resting between her shoulder blades. "What's in the bag?" I asked as I carefully placed Dawson along the backseat.

"Mommy made it for when something really bad happens," she said, climbing into the front seat and buckling herself in.

"Well, it was very smart of you to grab it, sweetheart," I said, sliding in the driver's side and buckling up. Adjusting the mirror, I noticed at Dawson's pallor and felt my heart nearly stop. Closing my eyes long enough to start the car and put it drive. Opening them and pulling out, I stepped on the gas and started for the nearest hospital.

About a mile out from the hospital, I saw the red, white and blue start flashing behind me. "Not today. For fuck's sake, not today," I said, pulling over and resting my head on the wheel. After about five minutes, the officer finally tapped on the window. "Yes, officer?"

"What's the rush, man?" he asked, removing his sunglasses and leaning down on the car.

"My brother is in critical condition right now. I walked into his house after he didn't answer and found him barely breathing on the floor," I said, looking back at Dawson with pained eyes.

"Who's the girl?" he asked, nodding his head towards Ameila.

"My daughter," was all I said. The officer looked in the back and saw how bad off Dawson really was.

"I'll escort you the rest of the way. Much quicker," he said, hitting the top of the car a couple of times before going back to his car.

"Why did you lie to the police man about you and mommy loving each other?" Ameila asked, looking up at me with sad eyes. I grabbed her hand in mine and kissed it.

"Some people just don't accept our kind of love," I said, returning her sad gaze. She removed her hand then place her face in mine, closing her eyes. It was then I noticed she was crying. "I'm so sorry, sweetie."

Neither of us said a word as the officer finally pulled up ahead of us and we started for the hospital. Through red lights and stop signs, we sped through, never stopping for any reason. Finally making it to the front doors, I shut the car off and got out, running around the car and slowly pulling Dawson out. I noticed the blood on the back seat, but at the moment, I couldn't care less.

"Come on, Ameila," I said, looking at the officer. "There's a puppy in the car. Any chance you could keep an eye on her?"

"Daddy, I want Bell with us," Ameila said, picking up the Basset Hound pup and looking up at me. She then looked at the officer. "Please, Mr. police man, let my puppy stay with us."

"Take her in. I haven't the heart to tear a girl from her dog," he said, receiving a 'Thank you' from Ameila. We rushed in and was nearly swarmed by nurses and doctors. Within minutes, they were taking him back to a room.

"I need you to fill out a few forms, if you can," a nurse said, handing me a clipboard and a pen. I nodded and walked over to the waiting area, Ameila sitting on the floor holding Bell gently. I watched the two of them for a long moment, they both looked older. It was then I heard her singing the song the Dawson and I sang to her on nights when she couldn't sleep. It was soft, but nonetheless, I recognized it.

"Out on the Mira on warm afternoons; Old men go fishing with black line and spoons. And if they catch nothing they'll never complain; I wish I was with them again." I smiled, set the clipboard down, walking over to her and sitting in front of her.

I then sang the next verse, knowing she'd find comfort. Even just a little bit. "As boys in the boats call to girls on the shore; Teasing the ones that they dearly adore. And into the evening the courting begins; I wish I was with them again." She looked up at me, with a saddened smile, and we quietly sang on.

"Can you imagine the peace of the universe; More fit for princes and kings? I'll trade you ten of your cities; For Marion Bridge and the pleasure it brings." I felt myself smile and sighed when she sang the next verse, both of us very unaware of the few patients and nurses standing around us.

"Out on the Mira on soft summer nights; Bonfires blaze to the children's delight. They dance 'round the flames singing songs with their friends; I wish I was with them again." She let Bell go and the small puppy snuggled up to the bag, not taking her eyes of either of us.

"And over the ashes the stories are told; Of witches and werewolves and Oak Island gold. The stars on the river they sparkle and spin; I wish I was with them again." As we went into the chorus, I saw that she was starting to drift into sleep, and it was only clarified when she stopped singing after the last line of the chorus. Picking her up, I laid her against me and decided to finish up the song, happy that she may just get a few hours sleep while Dawson was being looked at.

"Out on the Mira the people are kind; They'll treat you to home-brew and help you unwind. And if you come broken you'll see that you mend; I wish I was with them again. Now I'll conclude with a wish you go well; Sweet be your dreams, and your happiness swell. I'll leave you here, for my journey begins; I'm going to be with them again. I'm going to be with them again." I barely registered the clapping as I pressed a soft kiss to my daughter's forehead. I watched as Bell walked from the bag and laid down by my legs, resting her head on my shin.

"Mr. Andrews," said Dr. Mitchell, Dawson's doctor. "Dawson is in critical condition, and as of right now, there is a 30% chance of making it. The gun wounds are rather serious."

I nearly dropped Ameila. Luckily, she's got my sleeping habits and is a hard sleeper. Someone was kind enough to place her on the chair beside me, and I so grateful that she was asleep right now. I don't know if I could have handled her freaking out. The doctor walked away, noticing I couldn't say anything. The woman who put Ameila in the chair knelt down beside me.

"You're fiance will be fine, hon," she said, causing me to look at her. I then noticed she was a nurse. Not just any nurse, but Dawson's nurse. "I noticed the ring on his finger, and knew that you two weren't siblings, and the way you just reacted made me fully aware of just how much you love him. I'll keep a close eye on him for you."

She patted my shoulder and walked off, and I looked up at Ameila. Leaning my head against the wall, I stared at her until my eyes drooped and the sweet caress of slumber hugged me close, but my dreams were far from happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song near the end is called Song for the Mira by Celtic Thunder.