I Won't Give Up

Greg

Two Months

We finally settled into our new home, George and Nola keeping a close eye on Ameila and Junior as we finished setting up their room. The crib had just arrived and there was some assembling required. "I'm going to get the kids," Dawson said, smiling at me before kissing my head and walking out of the room. Picking up what little bit was on the floor, I walked out of the room.

I heard the giggles before I saw the being. Her brunette curls flying behind her and her eyes alight with excitement. I stepped off to the side, and flattened myself to the wall to allow Ameila to pass. Moments later, Dawson appeared with a gurgling Junior and I smiled. "Is she in there?" he asked, pointing to the kids' room. I nodded as they passed, but I was able to kiss both heads before they got too far. George and Nola were the last to appear, and they both looked happy.

"You're kids are something else," George said, laughing a bit. "That Ameila sure has a lot of energy." I nodded and smiled.

"On our way back from New York, we had a few others with us from the school. At the hotel, when I wasn't waking up, she screamed so loud that Jackson, one of the people who came with us, came running in with the twins. He was in a deep sleep even."

"Got some vocals on her, too! I knew you could be loud, but I think you're daughter has exceeded you there," Nola said, giving me a warm smile.

"That's for sure," I said, detaching myself from the wall and walking over to them. "Would you two like some coffee? Or tea?" I asked, looking at both of them. They both declined, claiming they needed to get back their own home and get started on dinner. "You could always eat with us, if you like. I make a mean carbonara," I said as we started downstairs.

"You talked us into it," George said, lightly patting my back. "Anything we can do to help?"

"Just keep me company," I said, throwing the trash in the can at the end of the stairs. Picking the can up, I took it out front and set it by the porch, dusting my hands on my pants before walking in.

"Go take a shower first, sweetie. Don't need debris falling into food, even if it's just a bit of dust," Nola said, noticing I was heading straight for the kitchen.

"Yes, ma'am," I said, changing directions and heading upstairs. I saw Dawson emerging with the kids and smiled. "George and Nola are staying for dinner. I'm taking a shower and then I'll start cooking," I said, walking over to them and kissing Dawson softly on the mouth.

"You cook?" Dawson asked, raising an eyebrow and looking as if he were about to scoff.

"Yes, believe it or not. I am especially good at making Italian dishes," I said, meeting his gaze. "The one I'll be cooking tonight, carbonara."

"I fucking love that!" Dawson said, getting excited. I raised my eyebrows and smiled.

"Go get out the big pan, and I'll be down shortly." At that, I winked at him and headed for the bathroom.

Time Elapse

Once everything was done, I placed everything on the dining table before everyone. "Oh, my. That does look good," Nola said, smiling. I shrugged and sat down between Ameila and Dawson. Dawson had Junior in his car seat with a bottle. Junior looked to be drifting off, and I pointed that out to Dawson. Dawson then quickly took the baby into the living room, placing him near Bell who was curled up near the couch.

"Ready to dig in?" I asked as Dawson took his place at the table again.

"Of course, I'm starving," George said, winking at Dawson, who smiled. I started dishing out the food, and the laughter and the jokes never ceased. Dawson seemed to be a bit detached from everything though, and I then had an idea.

"Excuse me," I said, standing up and walking into the den. Pulling out the top left drawer of the desk, I pulled out a box I'd been wanting to see for such a long time. Smiling softly, I walked back into the dining room. "As you all know, Dawson and I are very happy to be the parents of two wondrous kids." There were agreements and Dawson smiled. "I've had the honor of calling him the love of my life. And he's pushed me to my limits and never gave up on me when I needed it. For that, I'm so grateful."

I walked over to Dawson and stood him up, staring down at him with sheer love in my eyes. "We were engaged, but there was never anything to show for it. Now, I'm going to ask, hopefully for the final time. Dawson Michael Andrews, will you do me the honor of becoming my partner? My other half?"

I don't recall Dawson looking so overwhelmed, but that didn't stop me from showing the ring and bending down on one knee. "You're everything to me. I've never met another person who met my temper head on and expected nothing less than my best." I stared deep into his ocean blue eyes and the whole room was silent, even Ameila was staring at us intently.

My palms became sweaty, my heart started racing, and it took all of my being to stay down looking up with hopeful eyes. I watched Dawson carefully as he sat down, not breaking my gaze. I don't know how much time passed before he answered, but I've never felt so nervous and scared in my life. I knew that soon, I would either get turned down, or he'd accept. Either way, it was a serious life changing thing.