I Won't Give Up

Greg

After a long and tiring day with the party, we arrived home with a fully asleep toddler and a semi-conscious five-year-old. "I thought it'd never end," I said, stifling a yawn.

"Oh, hush. You had fun, and you know it," Dawson said as we made our way upstairs to the kids rooms. I looked down at Ameila who had fallen asleep, her head resting on my shoulder and her arms between us. I kissed her forehead gently, and she moved a bit, but not enough to awaken.

"Of course I did, it just seemed to drag on," I said, winking at Dawson who chuckled. Finally reaching their room, I gently shook Ameila awake.

"We got to get you into your pajamas, sweetheart," I said, causing her to nod sleepily. Removing her shirt and her pants, I quickly slid her nightgown on. Removing the clips she had holding her hair out of her face, I placed them in the box we got to put them in. Pulling the covers back, she slid her feet under and I brought the comforter up to her shoulders. "Goodnight, sweetie," I said, kissing her head.

She quietly mumbled something, and I took that as a goodnight. Dawson was staring at me from the doorway, having already placed Junior in the crib. "I figured it'd be easier to let him sleep in the clothes he wore today than stir him and be up half the night. You know how he is when that happens," Dawson said, getting an agreement from me.

Walking out of the room, we closed the door enough to where there was still a small crack, just in case one of them woke up during the night. It probably wouldn't happen, but we knew it could. Dawson and I stripped out of our clothes down to our skivvies. Dawson was already passed out on the bed, barely covered up when I went to get it.

Just as I stuck one leg in the bed to join him, I heard Junior crying from the room next door. Seeing how Dawson didn't even stir, I removed my leg and walked out of the room. Walking into Junior and Ameila's room, I saw him standing there with the front of his pants wet.

"I would have rather dealt with you being awake than wet," I mumbled, walking over to him and taking him out of the crib. Placing him in the changing table, I removed his shirt and pants, followed by the diaper and his socks. Quickly placing a dry diaper on him, I picked him up and cradled him in one arm as I started searching for a sleeper that wouldn't cause him to break out. Humming as I did so, I noticed he calmed down a bit, but not enough to sleep. "Just like your sister," I said, smiling as I found a decent sleeper for him to wear.

Dressing him, I sat down in the rocking chair and started singing. "Out on the Mira on warm afternoons; Old men go fishing with black line and spoons. And if they catch nothing they'll never complain; I wish I was with them again." I smiled a small smile when I noticed his eyes were closing. It was then I realized he was a lot like his sister. "As boys in the boats call to girls on the shore; Teasing the ones that they dearly adore. And into the evening the courting begins; I wish I was with them again."

I went into the chorus, his eyes flitted shut and he was soon completely out. I placed him in the swing, strapping him in and turning it on low. In a short time afterwards, I fell asleep as well.

Time Elapse

I awoke the next morning to a happy gurgling, and saw Junior wide awake in his swing. Smiling, I stopped the swing and took him out, his diaper feeling close to bursting. "Better change you before you soak through. Otherwise mommy will have my bottom," I said, tickling him and causing him to laugh happily. Placing him in the table, I quickly changed him and walked out of the room. I saw a very groggy Dawson emerge from our room, looking like he had slept very well.

"What happened?" he asked sleepily. I smiled as I bent down and kissed his forehead.

"Junior woke up not even two minutes after you crashed. Found out he soaked through. I didn't bother waking you so I took care of it. Once I got him back to sleep, I placed him in the swing and ended up sleeping in the rocking chair," I said, wrapping my free arm around Dawson's shoulder. We both looked at Junior when he started getting fussy, reaching his arms out to his mother.

"Good morning, baby," Dawson said, grabbing Junior and bouncing him in his arms. "Did Daddy have a long night with you?" he asked, winking up at me.

"He's a lot like Ameila. I was humming to her song when I noticed he was getting sleepy as I was doing so, sang it and he passed out," I said, causing Dawson to smile warmly at our son.

"Mommy! Daddy!" we heard from behind us. We stopped and turned to see Ameila coming out of her room at full speed. "I'm hungry!"

"Good morning to you, too, princess," Dawson said as we laughed. I picked her up and swung her around for a moment before finally settling her down on my hip. "What do you want for breakfast, kiddo?"

"Waffles! Chocolate chip waffles!" she said, leaning down enough to kiss Dawson on his cheek. "Please?" she added, blinking her blue eyes, innocently begging.

"For you, alright," he said, pushing some of her hair from her face. Ameila smiled brightly as we made our way into the kitchen. "Here, chair Junior and I'll get some cereal for him to munch on for breakfast. Then I will start on waffles for the rest of us. Sound good?" Dawson said, handing me Junior as I removed the tray from his high chair. Nodding, I placed the little man in his throne and snapped the tray back in place as Dawson poured some Cheerios on it.

"Why can't Junior have waffles like the rest of us?" Ameila asked, watching as her baby brother put a piece of cereal in his mouth.

"His teeth aren't developed as well as ours are, so he can't really chew on the waffles," I said, kicking back in my chair.

"Chair down on all fours, Gregory Michael," Dawson said, not even looking at me. Setting it down, I glared at the back of his head. "Don't give me that look." Again, he didn't look at me. I stuck my tongue out at him as Ameila giggled, causing Dawson to spin around and flick my temple.

"Ow!" I screamed, causing Ameila to giggle even harder.

"The kids don't need to be learning that!" Dawson said, giving me the look of death. I looked down at the table and folded my hands in my lap.

"Yes, Dawson," I said as I stole a side glance at him. I can't believe in just a few short years that kid got me whipped. Hitting my head on the table, I sighed at the fact that it was only gonna get far more interesting from here on out. Oh, joy.