Sequel: Gravity
Status: Finished! 07/03/2013

Just a Fool

No Envy, No Fear.

Matt was miserable, and he knew everyone else knew it. Ever since he kicked Evie out of the house he felt like shit and he thought he deserved to feel like shit. They have been best friends for a very long time now and he tossed it out the window, just as Evelyn had said. He wanted to take it back the minute it left his lips, but he was angry at her for not even trying to work things out with Brandi. That’s all he wanted—them to be friends.

But he had said it and it was too late to take back the look of betrayal that she had on her face.

And he knew that he had done exactly what she did with that guy many times, it was just…part of him hated the idea of a man putting his hands all over her body. Only for the sake of her pride, that is, but he knew deep down he didn’t want another man to touch her, not if they weren’t him. But he would never admit to that.

He wasn’t making any sense right now so he stood up off the couch and started pacing the room. Brandi should be here any moment and would wonder why he was so off. He was pretty sure that Evelyn was now dating this guy—Brian had told him so when he went out to do something for Michelle.

Just as the door opened, his phone chirped so he bent down and grabbed it off the coffee table—it was a message from an unknown number, in it was a picture text.

He nearly froze when he saw the picture of Evelyn smiling up at the blonde haired man. Although he could still see that something was missing in her face, he could still see how happy she was. The curly blonde stranger was gazing down at her and their foreheads were touching, their lips just barely gazing each other.

His phone chirped again just as hands found their away around his mid-section. He was shirtless so he felt the lips touch the bare skin of his back, but he ignored it as he read the text.

Does it make you jealous that her lips are all over another man? His blood began to boil beneath his skin. I will kill you soon—that’s a promise. You will not get in my way again. –Your nightmare. Matt knew then, knew that something bad was going to happen to Evelyn.

“Baby,” Brandi said as he shouted and threw his phone at the wall. “Baby!” She said again as he ripped his body away from her and ran to his bedroom, where he was going to pull on his clothes and get the fuck out of the house.

He’d be damned if that fucking freak thought he deserved the right to touch his Evelyn again.

__

“Hey, Sadie!” I said as I saw the little girl running towards me. Her hair was in lopsided pony tails and I laughed as I looked up at Chris. He was grinning eat-to-ear and it was infectious. I laughed again as I caught the little girl and balanced her on my hip just as Chris met me with his lips.

“Ew!” Sadie cried out. “That’s gross, daddy!”

I pulled away from Chris and laughed as I made my way through his doors with Sadie on my hips. “Any luck?” He asked. I kissed Sadie’s cheek and put her down, laughing at her lopsided ponytails again. I guess it’s that he tried that counts, right?

“No,” I said, “The number that sent the text message was actually a TracPhone, so it wasn’t traceable.” I sat down on the couch and he sat beside me, with his arm around my back. I scooted closer and cuddled up to his side.

“What did Sarah’s father say?”

“He’s trying his best and he got Detective White fired and revoked of his Detective title.” I sighed as he ran his hand up and down my back.

“He’s trying, so it matters right?” I looked up into Chris’s eyes.

“Yeah,” I murmured and bit my bottom lip. “I just want Mel back.”

“Hey,” Chris said as he used his other hand to grab my chin. “Don’t worry about it, okay? Mel will be back and she’ll be okay.” My bottom lip quivered and he placed a gentle kiss on my lips.

It’s been nearly a month since her disappearance and Chris has been nothing but wonderful to me. He understood immediately why I canceled the date and has worried for me that he drove to my father’s house and talked to me. I revealed my past with Marcus and told him I was sure that he had her. He’s done everything he could to help me get through this, and has been nothing but patient and so very kind.

“Thank you,” I whispered quietly as I pulled my head from his chest again. One of my hands were resting on his stomach and as I pulled my ear away, I couldn’t hear his heart beating. He smiled down at me.

“For what?” He asked, his hand going to my hair where he ran it through.

“For being here.” I murmured as I dropped my head again. “You’ve done so much to help me.” I could feel his chest rising and falling with his evened breathing.

“You have to tell him,” He said. I sighed and played with the hem of his blue cotton t-shirt.

“I don’t think that’s right.” I said, “He lost the privilege when he kicked me out.”

“I know, Evelyn, but think of it from his point. He was there the first time—if it were me,” He paused and I looked back up at him. “I would want to know so that I could keep you safe, because Matt will.” I knew Chris was right, knew deep down in my heart that Matt would do everything he could to bring Mel back and to keep me safe, as I would do the same for him.

“We’ll see,” I murmured before looking back down.

__

Later on that day Chris and I went over to my father’s house for dinner that I was going to fix up for us. Dad was over at Mom’s house—it seems that losing Mel opened Mom up to a lot of things and they’re working on their relationship, plus Ashley’s been asking for Dad a lot lately. I’ve been over there a lot myself, and seeing Ashley so torn up kills me inside.

I decided on making my mean pork roast with some pasta and green beans, nothing big but he loves his meat too much to turn it down. Chris was nowhere to be found when someone walked into my house. The minute I heard heels I knew who it was and became a little ticked off because I knew that I had told her it was ‘date night’ earlier today.

So I turned around and was about to send an evil glare her way, but she spoke before anything. “I know, I know, but I came to tell you Matt knows.” I looked at her outfit and got really confused. Why was she dressed so nicely lately?

I dropped my spoon and yelped when the hot metal touched my feet. “What do you mean ‘Matt knows’?” I asked.

Amber sighed and dropped her purse on the table. “He called up Brian and told him that he received a text message.” My heart began to hammer.

“A text message?” I asked.

“Yeah,” She said, “Evelyn,” She said and closed the distance between us. “It was from him, warning Matt that he was coming for you.” She breathed in and I gasped, my hand flying to cover my mouth.

“Why are you telling me this now?” I worried out loud. “It’s date night; I can’t worry about this right now.”

Amber put her hands on my shoulder. “You would be pissed if I didn’t tell you now.” I sighed and tried to keep my tears at bay. “Hey, don’t worry okay?” I bit my lip.

“Matt knows,” I said, “Which means…”

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing?” Chris’s voice cut through our conversation.

“Fuck off, man, she’s my best friend.”

Matt

I was pissed. This asshole wouldn’t let go of my hand and I don’t even think he was aware that I could snap his arm in half. Who does he think he is, trying to stop me from talking to Evelyn? I’ve known this woman the longest, and I’ll be damned if this fucktard thinks he has the right to end that.

“Fuck off, man, she’s my best friend.” I growled out. The man standing in front of me was a few inches shorter than me and looked like could model for that fucking stupid ass line—what was it, Abercrombie?—because he was such a fucking pretty pussy boy.

I yanked my arm out of his grasp and watched as he stepped forward and blocked my path. “You lost that when you kicked her out.”

“Jesus Christ,” I muttered, “Evelyn, if you don’t come and move your attack dog I’m going to move him for you!” I shouted through the door. I looked down at him and smirked as I heard Evelyn’s voice from inside the house.

“Matthew fucking Sanders,” She shouted. I watched as she came forward—she was wearing a yellow strapless top and a pair of black pants. It was kind of warm for November weather, but this was Cali so it was acceptable. “You’re letting the AC out, please come in.” She muttered before turning around. She was barefoot as she turned around to walk towards the kitchen again, where I could tell she was by the smell of food.

My stomach growled as I followed Chris into the house—she was making her pork roast. As I made my way in, I noticed Amber was standing there and was talking to Evie. I watched as she made a face, her hair up in a ponytail. The hair went down her back and it looked a bit brighter than it normally did—was this because I was away for a while, or was it nothing?

I pushed it aside as she set her glare on me. She must have said something to Chris because he was leaving. Before he left, he gave me quick warning glare and I only chucked before facing Evelyn again.

It was quiet for a few minutes as we stood there just staring at each other—I could notice that there was bags forming under her eyes and it pained me. She must still be having those nightmares, and I wasn’t there to help her.

It reminded me why I was here. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I murmured. I watched her brown eyes leave my face and look down at her feet, something she did out of habit when she was nervous. I ran a hand down my face. “Evie, if you think I wouldn’t care about this—,” I was cut off as her eyes whipped to mine.

“You told me to leave, Matthew!” She shouted out, her eyes wild and fierce. “You kicked me out!”

“I know,” I began, “And I…” I was cut off again.

“I didn’t think you deserved the right to know.” She spat out. “You treated me like I was vermin that day, like I was some kind of leech when all I was trying to do was have fun.” Her eyes began to get teary and I knew she was fighting the urge to cry. A sob fell from her lips and it broke my heart. I wanted to wrap her in my arms, to take this pain away from her—but how could I take it away when I was the reason it was there to begin with. “I love you.” She spat out then.

“I know, Evelyn, and I love you too.” I said and took a step closer to her.

“No!” She said, “I love you.” She cried out, making sure the word love was well defined. I stopped in my tracks and looked at her face—I knew she loved me. “Matt,” She whispered, her eyes finding mine where they burned into them. Her cheeks were flushed and she was biting her lip, another habit she had when she was trying to make a hard decision. I wondered if Chris picked up on these kinds of things, noticed that she tended to bite at her nails and play with the ends of her hair when she got bored. I wonder if he knew about the embarrassing bruises and scars that took up her legs from the weeks of torture she suffered at the hands of that bastard. Her voice broke through my thoughts finally and she got closer to me—I could smell her favorite perfume, the one I bought for her a year ago that she only wears on special occasions. It was actually from Victoria’s Secret…what was it? Bombshell. That’s right.

I felt her hand on my cheek so I looked down at her. Her scent surrounded me and the skin where hers touched burned. Pushing that to the side, I watched as her facial features softened and she knitted her brows together, something she did when she was going to say something serious. “Matt,” She sighed my name. “Matthew Charles Sanders, I am in love with you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Evie
Amber

Okay, so I've been reading Clockwork Princess lately and for some reason it helps with my writing o.O

Comment :D?