Sequel: Gravity
Status: Finished! 07/03/2013

Just a Fool

Breathe.

He moved and it hit his shoulder instead. I let out a curse as he fell to the grass and I looked around for Melanie to just make sure she was okay. She was on the ground holding her shoulder and crying her free hand on her stomach. I looked at it quickly, my mind forgetting that she was pregnant.

I looked back to see Marcus holding his shoulder as she tried to get up. His knee was gushing blood, and so wasn’t his shoulder. I figured it would hold him off for a few more minutes and went to aid my sister. “Mel, honey, are you okay?”

“My shoulder, Evie,” She cried. “I think I did something to it.” I helped her into a sitting position, the rain dying down. I looked up into the sky to see the moon beginning to go away. I sighed.

“What about the baby, Melanie?” I murmured. I felt her go solid under my hands and her desperate yes met mine.

“It’s not his, I promise.” Mel said, her lips quivering. Hey body began to shake and I put the ratted hair behind her ears. Her body was caked with mud, and the rain wasn’t helping even if it was getting slower.

“Is it Zackys’?” I asked. She bit her lip and nodded. I heard a grunt behind me then and went to turn around. I was just in time as Marcus stood up and I groaned. “Why the fuck can’ you just fucking die!?” I shouted in anger, having enough of this bastard already.

I aimed the gun again and went to step forward, but I didn’t see the shovel. I cried out as the gun flew from my hands and into the air, far from me. Marcus grinned down at me and started to speak. “Haven’t you leaned you can’t get away from me, princess?” He asked sweetly. I looked around on the ground, for anything that could be of use. There wasn’t anything besides the shovel, I reached under me and wrapped my hand around the handle.

“But,” I said, “It seems that I escape you every time.” I snap out as I laid there on the floor. Mel went to help me, but I shooed her away. “Get away!” I snapped, “Get the fuck out of here, Melanie Rose!” I said her name and she winced at the anger she saw on my face. “Find the fucking truck dear God!”

“You move one muscle,” Marcus said as he grabbed the gun I had dropped and pointed it at her. “I will fucking shoot you.”

“Mel,” I said as I began to sit up slowly. “He won’t shoot you—run.”

“Evie…”

“GO!” I said as I swung the shovel with just about every ounce of strength I had left. I watched as he pulled the trigger and I move just enough so that I could somehow safe Mel’s retreating figure. I screamed in pain as it just grazed my shoulder, but I watched as the shovel hit his head. Marcus fell down at my feet and I watched as his body went slack. I could see that where I had hit him, he was bleeding. I didn’t want to take any chances so I grabbed the shovel again and picked up. I was about to hit him when I felt his hands grab my ankle. I fell down on top of him with a cry, my eyes catching something shiny beside him—it was a piece of broken metal, a tip sharp enough that with enough force, could pierce skin.

“Think you could get rid of me?” He spat out. I was shocked—with a blunt that hard to the head, I was sure it would kill him. He looked a bit disoriented for a little, but He managed to flip me over and straddled me. He held my hands like he did the first time he got me and started to rip my underwear down my legs, but his grip on me was loser because of shoulder so I managed to free one hand and reached up to his wounded shoulder where I pressed my thumb into the hole. He screamed out. “You fucking bitch!” He roared as he fell off of me. I pressed harder and only let go when he slapped me across the face. “Now,” He spat out, blood falling from his lips. “You’re going to die.”

My right hand had landed on something cold and I looked down to see the piece of metal—it was rusty, but it would do what I needed it to do.

I cried out, “No, you’re going to die, you sick bastard!” I shot up from the ground, the metal pointed towards his body. I ran at him full force, like I was taught. The pointy part was sticking out.

He stared at me in shock as I stabbed him just beneath the ribcage. “Any last words?” I spat out, his green eyes piercing mine. He spat out blood and it got on my face, but I left it there. My mind was racing to a million different placed, but I needed to control it. I had to get out of this, had to get Mel to a hospital.

I saw tears fall from his eyes. “I…I thought…you loved me.” He spat out. I looked at him in disgust, my heart hammering in my chest. He thought I loved him? After all those nights cowering from him, he thought that it was out of love?

“No,” I said, “I fucking hate you.” I jabbed the metal piece more into his chest before lifting up towards the heart. I wasn’t sure if it was right because I had only practiced on dummies, but I was rewarding with a slack body. I watched with half shock and half joy as his body fell at my feet. I didn’t think anymore as I turned on my heels and wiped at my face as I ran to where Mel took off.

I found Mel sitting in the truck, her free hand bracing her shoulder. I could see the tears falling from her face and when I whipped the driver’s side open, I cried out. The adrenaline rush must have made forget about the fact that I had been shot. “Evie!” Mel cried out. I shook my head as she started to move to the drivers said.

“No,” I said, bracing the pain. “I’m fine—let’s just get out of this hell-hole.” The truck was already running, the heat was on and the music was off. The first thing I did, for some kind of normalcy, was turn on the radio. It was on rock station and a song had just ended.

As the familiar tune of Staind’s Something To Remind You, I pulled away from the house and didn’t dare look back. As I became familiar with the roads, I realized I wasn’t far from him. I turned towards Mel, who was slowly beginning to smile and grabbed her hand. “We did it, Evie.” She whispered, her green/brown eyes looking at me. I grinned and brought her mud-crusted hand to my lips and kissed the front of it.

I looked to the road and saw the sun coming up just over the horizon. “We did, Mel, we really did.”

__

I pulled up to the familiar place where I had spent months visiting after my last adventure with Marcus—Huntington Beach Hospital. I looked to my right to see that Mel had passed out, and I couldn’t help but think.

You relaly never knew how lucky one can really be. You could get the chance at winning Mega Billions, or finding the one and settling down and creating a family. And eventually, everyone dies—but today, today wasn’t my day. But I was lucky, for I had escaped death not once, but twice. Not only had I saved my life, but I had saved two.

At that thought, I looked at Mel’s swollen stomach. I shook my thoughts out of my head and shook her awake. Mel looked up at me and spoke up tiredly. “Are we home?” I shook my head.

“No,” I murmured, “But we need to get you checked into the hospital.” Mel looked up out if the window as I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital. I would do everything I could to not go in, but I needed to immediately.

“I understand.” Mel said, “Are you going to come in to?”

“Of course, and I’ll call everyone from inside the hospital.”

I turned off the car, cradling my own shoulder as I helped my sister out of the truck. When I walked into the building, everyone stopped and stared at the both of us. When I saw the reception desk, a small red haired, blue eyed woman gasped, her eyes going wide. Immediately she called for help and when she put down the phone, she rushed around the counter. I held Mel’s hand in my own and grasped it tight. “I’m Evelyn Brown, and this is my sister Melanie. We’ve been missing for quite some time now.”

__

I begged to Doctor to allow me to call my family before he even did any work on me. It’s been nearly an hour and a half since I received the wound on my arm and I’ve come to learn how to block out the pain. The doctor insisted that he clean the wound and patch it up because of all the mud that got into it. I told him I was fine, that it could last another fifteen minutes.

But he wouldn’t allow me to even stay with my sister, so why would he allow me to have this one thing? So I let him clean my wound and after he cleaned it, I looked him straight in his deep blue eyes and told him I was calling my family, whether he liked it or not.

So here I was, dialing the number by heart and putting the phone to my ear. I knew I needed to do more procedures, especially because I was raped without protection—but I needed to let them know.

She picked up on the first ring and I let out a sob at the sound of her voice. “Hello?”

“Amber?” I said into the receiver, my heart beating erratically.

Amber

I breathed in as I heard the sob on the other. My heart stilled for a few seconds until I heard her call out my name. And in that one word, I knew that everything was over. Tears flooded my vision as I pictured her face, her body pulled against mine. Quickly, I shouted throughout the house—it was nearly eight in the morning, but I knew people would be up by now. “She’s okay!” I screamed as I walked around Matt’s house, waking everyone up. Sarah jumped from her spot next to Johnny, who stirred. Brian was on the floor, the spot that I was in only a few moments ago empty. I turned to my left to see Zacky getting out of his chair.

“Evie?” Sarah asked as I put the phone on speaker. I heard her sob some more.

Sarah!” She cried into the phone. Voices chorused around us and I took the seat on Brian’s lap, his arms winding around my body.

Evelyn

I breathed in and controlled my heart as I sat on the bed, the gown I was wearing was open in the back and it was cold here, so I shivered. I looked around the room and wished that Mel was right beside me so that I could wrap my arms around her body and just hold onto her for eternity. “I have some good news and some bad news.” I whispered into the phone.

What is it, honey?” Sarah said. I ran my hands through my knotted hair and stared at the bed. How can I tell them that I had murdered someone, even if he was guilty? It was hard for me to tell the doctors, who had called the police station as soon as they could—they should be here in a matter of minutes, but I had begged the secretary to spare me a few.

I needed to tell them. “Evelyn,” It was Zacky, “Please just tell us.” I knew he was thinking of the worse right now, and I wasn’t going to tell him he’s going to be a dad—that was my sisters’ decision.

“I found Mel,” I said and then paused so that I could keep my tears as bay. I cleared my throat again. “I found her, and she’s beaten up pretty bad. I even think she broke some bones in the process. Guys,” I said with a sob, “You should have seen her.”

I could almost imagine everyone in tears as I heard some sobbing in the background. “Zacky, its okay she’s fine.” I heard Sarah saying through the phone. I heard him mumbling things but I ignored it. “How are you? How’s Mel? Where are you guys?

“I’m at the Hospital.” I said, “It’s going to take a long time, but we’re here. The police should be here any minute. I just wanted you guys to know we’re okay.”

“So what’s the bad news?” Amber said.

I breathed in, “He’s dead.”

How is this bad news, Evelyn?” Brian.

“I…” I hesitated. “Guys, I didn’t know what to do. It was the only thing I could think of.”

What happened, Evelyn?”

“I killed him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The song

Okay, so like one more I think. I might break it up in two!