Sequel: Gravity
Status: Finished! 07/03/2013

Just a Fool

Safe.

I sat there on the hospital bed for what felt like hours—the police left and I had begged them not to bother Melanie, and they said they will leave her alone for right now, but they still needed to talk to her.

Sarah’s father was there and he had engulfed me in a hug. I told him how I had killed Marcus and how scared I was, but he only told me that everything would be fine—it was self-defense. They didn’t need to investigate that much, considering it was Marcus who had done this. They told me how sorry they were for not telling me the truth, that they had honestly thought that Detective White was a good man. Turns out that Detective White was related to Marcus—I hadn’t seen that one coming at all.

Needless to say, I was fucking tired and I wanted Mel. So when they finally left, I got off my bed and pulled the IV stand along with me as I went down to room number seven, where she was. When I reached the door, the secretary didn’t say anything to me so I opened it.

I looked in and heard her shout in shock. When her eyes finally landed on me and calmed down—we both had showers and were waiting on Amber and Sarah who were bringing fresh clothes. Even though it was January and we were in Cali, I wanted something to cover up my cuts and bruises. I didn’t want anyone to look at me. Although I knew the ones, especially from when Marcus hit me, on my face were very noticeable—that I had to deal with.

I made my way towards Mel’s bed and she scooted over, making sure there was room for me beside her. I settled the IV stand beside the bed and crawled in, where she nestled next to me. I ran my hands through her hair, careful of her arm that was currently in a strap—turn out she fractured her shoulder.

“Thank you,” Mel whispered. I looked down at her. “For saving me, Evie.” I smiled.

“You are my sister, Mel.” I said, as if it explained everything.

“I know, but you could have just left me there.” Tears flooded her eyes. “It was so scary, Evie.” She sobbed as she hid her face in my shoulder. I cooed and continued to move my fingers through hair.

“It’s okay, honey.” I said. “I’m right here.”

“I can’t get his hands off me, Evie.”

“It’s tough, Melanie, but it will be okay. Trust me on this, will you?” She looked up at me again while she bit her lip. “Let’s get some sleep—Amber and Sarah will be here, and I’m sure Mum and Dad will come, too.”

“Ashley?” I shook my head.

“I don’t think they’d let her see us like this.”

“I want to see Ashley.”

“Me too, honey, me too.”

__

I woke up to voices whispering. I wanted to tell them to shut the fuck up so that I could go back to sleep, but the body shivering next to me and the smell of medicine. I opened my eyes to see people standing around my bed—I think everyone was there. I looked to my left to see that Mel was still passed out. I didn’t want to wake her yet, so I looked at the end of the bed where my Mother stood, her big brown eyes filled with tears and her tanned hand over her mouth.

I knew she was crying at the sight of us. “Mom,” I whispered hoarsely. I heard the door open and I saw my father. Immediately my eyes started to sting as walked over to me and set two cups of water on the table beside me. I let out a muffled sob as he bent down, tears in his own eyes, as he set his lips to my temple. “Daddy,” I cried out.

“Shh,” He whispered. “Go back to bed.”

Dad moved out of the way so that I could see Mom now. “Oh, baby.” She cooed. “My beautiful babies.”

“Mom!” I sobbed out of control. She bent down and kissed my face all over. I felt Mel stir and I knew she was awake when I heard her beginning to sob herself. Mom looked over to Mel and I saw Dad already at her side, his lips touching her temple. My dad was crying, mom was crying...we were all crying.

“Daddy,” She sobbed.

__

An hour later, after Mom helping both of us get dressed we were ready to go. I was still shivering, even with my sweater on. I could feel Mel trembling herself as her hand was firmly grasped into my own. Mom looked at the both of us and took us into her arms, careful of our wounds. She kissed both our cheeks before wiping at our faces. “I am so glad you two are okay.” She murmured.

“I am so sorry, mom.” Mel whispered. My mother looked at her and stopped her with her gaze.

“You have nothing to apologize for, Melanie Rose.” She warned her before she met my gaze. “And don’t you start either. I couldn’t be more thankful to have you both,” She said, her eyes going to my sister stomach. “Even this one.” She put her hand on my sister’s belly.

After getting the nourishment both of them needed, the doctor declared the both safe and okay. Although he had strict rules about taking it easy for the next couple of months, the baby will make it. He or she may be underweight and may have health problems, but it should be okay.

“Now,” Mom said with another warning. “Don’t be surprised with the amount of people waiting for you in the living room, okay? Everyone couldn’t wait to see you.”

“Is Ash there, mom?” Mel asked.

“Yes.” Mel and I grinned and I squeezed her hand. Mom smiled at us, made us let go and we all walked out together, hand-in-hand.

I was happy that I was home, so happy that all of us were safe and good to go—but there was one thought in the back of my mind that nagged me and I couldn’t let it go. After everything I had went through, I hadn’t had time to go over my last thoughts about him before escaping. I know I had said that I didn’t want to deal with it, but was it true? I didn’t really know, honestly, and I knew I was going to have quite some time after all this mess to make up my mind.

So I walked out of the room with two people I loved and knew I was going to walk into the arms of everyone else I loved.

__

His heart was hammering inside his chest. He didn’t know what to do, wasn’t sure how to react. Should he run to her and wrap his arms around her and not let her go? Or should he just sit back and wait until she got to him?

He figured he would do the latter.

But when she came around the corner into the waiting room, her eyes weren't searching for his. Instead they zoomed in on Ashley who both Mel and Evelyn ran to. Ashley was eighteen now, her birthday being a few days before Christmas, another holiday that the girls had missed. When the three girls wrapped their arms around them, everyone waited because they knew they needed that moment.

Matt was in shock as he took in both women—bruised and battered. His hands clenched at his sides as he thought of Marcus. The memories from before came flooding back and suddenly the thought of waiting for her to make it to him was put aside—all he wanted to do was wrap his arms around this woman and whisper the words he had once told her years before.

Mel was different, though she was less harmed than Evie, that doesn’t mean she didn’t get beaten just as bad. You could see the cuts and bruises all over her face and her arm was in a shoulder sling. Matt wondered how that happened, but when Evie’s face turned from a smile into a look of pain, he watched as she used her free hand to cover up her own shoulder. Matt’s eyes narrowed and Ashley asked what was wrong.

When he heard the words leave her lips he almost lost it. “There was a gun, Ash.” She murmured her brown eyes large. “It only skimmed me, so I’m okay—it’s just a little sore.”

Fucking asshole, he thought.

Matt waited patiently as Mel and Evie made their way towards him. Mel lingered at Zacky, who was standing next to Brian. Evie kissed Zacky’s cheek before moving onto Brian. She was so close and his heart started to pump faster, so fast he thought everyone could hear it.

When Evie turned to Matt, she looked up at him quickly before making her way towards her Father, who was at the beginning of the line again.

His heart fell as he realized he had fucked up big time.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more and it's written----update now or later? :O