Status: This is my first offical published piece, so go easy on me

Manipulator

Chapter 17

I run out of my room and to the door, not listening to anyone. I run to where my room is and see Ryan lying on the ground, a tree branch under him. The rigged break tells me he was watching me listen to music when the branch broke and he fell. I kneel by him and gently cradle his head in my hands.
"Ryan?" I call softly, "can you hear me?" I feel him stir a little, but not enough for me to stop worrying. "Open your eyes if you can hear me and can still respond." He opens his eyes, than closes them in pain. I carefully trace his spine, finding no breaks. He has a few cracked ribs, but that won't paralyze him.
"I…" He groans as he tries to talk to me. "Sorry." He smiles with pain lining his face.
I place my fingertips on his lips, to silence him. I kiss him softly, so he doesn't hurt. "I'll get my grandfather's nurse." I lay his head sensibly on the ground again, before dragging him over by the tree to keep him up. "Don't move." I half-joke. I turn to see the nurse already here, and some maids to guide me inside.
After a couple of hours, I'm allowed to see Ryan in the den. He's sleeping when I enter, so I just sit next to him, talking to him as he dreams.
"It's nice here," I tell him, "I don't need as much protection as I used to." He doesn't stir, so I leave the room. Going back up to mine, Cherry is walking out when she sees me and smiles.
"Is that boy a friend of yours?" She questions, referring to Ryan.
"Um, yeah. We've hung out together before." I answer, completely nonchalant. She giggles and runs off to her quarters. I go into my room and sit on the small log, and open my dad's journal again.