Unlovable

Starting to Like Potter

Harry walked with haste towards Dumbledore's office, wondering and imagining about what he may be taught for their private lesson. Ever since receiving the note after the first day of Defense, he had been looking forward to it, as had Ron and Hermione who were also eager to hear about what their headmaster would share with their friend. Not only did Harry like the fact that he would be learning something new and – hopefully – something useful, but this meeting with Dumbledore had also gotten him out of detention with Snape for his earlier attitude.

The Boy Who Lived chuckled lightly and fondly at the memory of him mouthing off to Severus and how his fellow classmates had all been astounded by his retort. All of their faces had been priceless with the exception of one – his assigned casting partner, Helling. She had kept a rather passive expression throughout the incident, and if anything, he assumed she found it slightly amusing – if that – due to the fact that she didn't seem put off by it. However, the more he thought of it, the more he wanted to dismiss her from his thoughts.

She was a Slytherin and he was a Gryffindor. She was blended into the background effortlessly and he was always front and center. In all honesty, her existence meant little to nothing at all to him. Helling was just another student and, as long as she didn't cause him any type of grief or wasn't a secret Death Eater like Malfoy – which he highly doubted, he really didn't feel the need to keep an eye out for her whatsoever.

The one thing that was somewhat curious was the fact that before their meeting on the Hogwarts Express, the two had never bumped into each other – at least not to his knowledge, and now he slowly was seeing more of her around school. However, when he thought about it, it really was just a coincidence. I highly doubt Snape assigning her as my partner for that lesson had any deeper meaning than hoping a student from his house would hit me with a jinx. He concluded.

And that was that.

It's wasn't long before Harry made it to the familiar gargoyle statue, muttering, “Acid Pops,” and watching the inanimate object come to life and move for him. After taking the circular staircase up, he arrived at the large brass knocker that led to his headmaster's office.

Once knocking, Harry heard a muffled, “Come in,” and he immediately obeyed.

“Good evening, sir,” he greeted.

“Ah, good evening, Harry. Sit down,” he replied, casting a soft smile to his pupil. “I hope you've had an enjoyable first week back at school?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry nodded.

“You certainly must have been busy as you already have a detention under your belt!”

Harry noticed the small, knowing twinkle in his professor's eye. “Er,” he began, not knowing what else he could say or do in response.

“I have arranged with Professor Snape that you will do your detention next Saturday night instead.” Dumbledore pointed out, Harry's spirits lowering a bit.

“Right,” he said, and although he was a bit let down by the news, he was more interested in seeing what Dumbledore had called him for as he tried to inconspicuously look about the room. However, the room seemed untouched and as it normally was. Harry hadn't a clue about what they could be doing.

Dumbledore walked about the room, beginning his small talk with Harry in a business-like tone. “So, Harry, I assume you've been wondering what I have planned for you during these – for want of a better word – lessons?”

“Yes, sir.”

Their “lesson” carried on smoothly. After a small discussion of what they would be doing, Harry and Dumbledore used the Pensieve. Harry found it all rather interesting and curious, always thinking up new questions when seeing a situation unfold before them and taking in all that he could. And after, when they were returned back to Dumbledore's office, they had another chat about what they had just witnessed and about possible theories of why Tom Riddle Sr. had left Merope, who was carrying Voldemort at the time.

“What went wrong?” Harry questioned. “Why did the love potion stop working?”

“Well, this is simply guesswork,” Dumbledore began, “but I believe that Merope, who was deeply in love with her husband, could not bear to continue enslaving him by magical means. I believe that she made the choice to stop giving him the potion. Perhaps, besotted as she was, she had convinced herself that he would by now have fallen in love with her in return. Perhaps she thought he would stay for the baby's sake. If so, she was wrong on both counts. He left her, never saw her again, and never troubled to discover what became of his son.”

Harry took in his professor's words carefully, and soon the session was ended with Dumbledore's word. As Potter started for the door, a thought crossed Dumbledore's mind, and he stopped his pupil from going any further.

“Harry,” he called.

The boy stopped and turned, wondering if he had anything else to add to his theory. “Yes, professor?”

“Forgive me for this sudden question, but have you been acquainted with a Ms. Variel Helling of Slytherin?”

He was caught off guard. Why did Dumbledore want to know? “Yes, sir, I am. She was my partner for a lesson in Defense a few days ago.”

“Ah, excellent.” He seemed genuinely pleased by Harry's answer. “You see, Harry, I have a... a job I would like for you to do for me.”

“A job, sir?” This seemed interesting.

“Yes. Ms. Helling is a very particular student here, she's unique and comes from certain circumstances. In a way, her and Voldemort have a bit in common, if you will.” That made Harry's skin crawl. Someone having something in common with Voldemort? That was complete rubbish. It had to be. Still, though, he listened to his mentor carefully. “I would like for you to get to know Ms. Helling, maybe even become friends with her.”

Friends?—With someone who had something in common with the Dark Lord? There was no way. Already thoughts were consuming Harry's mind, imagining the possibilities. Had he misjudged her? Was she truly a death eater, another of Malfoy's unknown lackeys? His blood was beginning to boil. “Sir, why?” He couldn't help but question. “Is she a threat?”

Dumbledore smiled and that curious twinkle seemed to catch Harry's eye again. “Hardly, Harry. Ms. Helling is just another student like yourself. However, I do believe it would be beneficial if you were to get to know one another. That's all for tonight, Harry. Sleep well.”

Slowly, Harry nodded his head, saying a goodnight of his own before leaving the office and retreating towards Gryffindor Tower. All the way back, Harry could only think of one thing. Just who is Variel Helling?

Image


Variel had never hated homework as much as she hated it in her sixth year. N.E.W.T.s were making her despise the free periods she had been handed as she only ever spent them completing her mounds of work. Not only was she feeling pressured by completing her ever-expanding pile of homework on time, but she was also stressed by the fact that now nonverbal spells were expected in not only Defense, but in Transfiguration and Charms as well. Figures, she thought, giving a soft scoff in annoyance.

She packed up her few belongings from the library table she sat at and then wandered off, heading down towards the Great Hall for dinner as she could feel her stomach beginning to become unsettled. As soon as she arrived, she plopped down upon her house's bench and began to serve herself a good helping of everything she was craving. While she dug in, more students poured in to the spacious chamber to dine and one group that ran into Professor Slughorn caught her attention, or at least part of it as she still ate her food with ardor.

“Harry, Harry, just the man I was hoping to see!” His voice boomed throughout the hall with enthusiasm. “I was hoping to catch you! What do you say to a spot of supper tonight in my rooms instead? We're having a little party, just a few rising stars, I've got McLaggen coming and Zabini, the charming Melinda Bobbin — I don't know whether you know her? Her family owns a large chain of apothecaries — and, of course, I hope very much that Miss Granger will favor me by coming too.”

As Harry and Slughorn continued their small chat, Variel could pick up the voices of a few Slytherins who were sitting a few feet away – particularly Draco's voice. “Looks like Potter's trying to butter up the professors again.” He sneered.

Typical Malfoy. Shaking her head, Variel did her best to ignore both ongoing conversations. Draco was easily dismissed, though with Slughorn's energetic demeanor and his voice that easily carried, it was hard to do so.

Finally the discussion was ended and Variel was glad that it did. A voice still managed to pique her interest though, and it was Granger's that did so. “Harry, what are you looking at?” She questioned in a hushed tone of voice.

Variel's curiosity got the better of her and she looked up out of the corner of her eye as inconspicuously as she could, the young witch being taken aback when she noticed that Harry Potter's emerald eyes were locked upon her and her alone. “Nothing, Hermione,” he replied, dismissing the matter as they continued on towards the Gryffindor table.

Looking back down at her plate of food, Variel became confused. Why was Potter staring at her? She had been planning on ignoring his existence once more after the Defense lesson, and she assumed he had been too since he hadn't acknowledged her since then, but seeing him gaze at her with such an intensity was completely off-putting. It just didn't sit right with her. Feeling the gazes of others now upon her, she looked to the side and noticed a few Slytherins looking directly at her.

All their stares made her incredibly uncomfortable and she felt the need to disappear instantly. Never before had she been put in such a situation. She felt as if she were being thrust into society and into the limelight. She hated it. But what she hated most of all was the fact that Draco Malfoy was one of the few who was looking.

She hated the look he was giving her.

She hated that she knew he'd corner her sooner than later with his usual barrage of twenty questions when it came to Potter.

She hated Potter for looking at her for that split second.

Variel Helling hated everything about that moment.

Feeling no longer welcomed in the Great Hall, she chugged her last bit of Pumpkin Juice and cleaned her mouth with a napkin before leaving, still feeling the obnoxious stares of her peers digging into her back like knives. Once she was away, she headed off once more to be on her own.

She liked being on her own. She liked not being noticed. She liked being invisible.

And because of what just transpired...

She was not starting to like Potter.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit of a short update, but I liked where it left off. Thanks to those who have commented. I'm always so glad to hear that people are enjoying this story!

Also, I'm not really going into depth because I'm reading the book and am kind of assuming most of you know what I'm talking about. For instance, at the beginning of the chapter, we're talking about the note, but I didn't write about Harry receiving the note in the last chapter like he did in the book. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Please comment, recommend, and subscribe!