Status: updating here and there.

Gods & Monsters

Dos.

For a while, Zacky didn’t see her again. She had all but been forgotten in the guitarists mind, considering the mayhem that surrounded himself and his band as they planned studio time. He had stayed in Chicago for some unknown reason, strangely finding himself drawn to the busy city. A nagging voice inside of him explained his infatuation with the city was because of the girl he had seen. He ignored it, though every time he passed or climbed on the CTA, he looked out the window hopefully.

The day wasn’t unlike any other as he hoped up onto the bus, taking his usual transportation route back to the hotel he currently was calling home. He made his way to the back, plopping down in the very last seat as he did every day. Glancing out the window, he sighed as he didn’t see her. He knew that he most likely never would again. Just as he was tugging his ipod from his pocket, the soft sound of sniffling to his right captured his attention. He turned his head towards the sound, his eyes widening as he took in her appearance.

It was her. It was the girl that had been flocking his thoughts and clouding his dreams, curled up into a tiny ball in the seat adjacent to his. Slowly, he wrapped his headphones back around his ipod, sliding the device into his pocket once more. Clearing his throat quickly, he turned to face her. Her head snapped up from her lap, her bright makeup smeared eyes wide as they looked in his direction.

“You alright?” He asked her after struggling to find his voice. Even in tears, she made his heart beat pick up pace. She hesitated for a moment, before a shaky sigh left her body, her shoulders slumping in the process. She shook her head no, leaning her head against the window. He watched as she reached a hand up, pulling down the sleeves on her shirt to wipe at the tears that moistened her face. Her gaze fell back on his, before a slight frown pulled at her features.

“I know you,” she said, her eyes going a bit wider as she racked her brain, trying to place his face with a memory. He chuckled as he watched her face furrow in concentration, before the frown dissipated and she smiled at him. “A week or two ago, I saw you here, on the bus.” She said confidently. He was a bit surprised that she remembered him.

“That would be me. I’m Zacky, by the way.” He added, extending a hand out for her to shake. She pulled her hand out from her sleeve, slipping her tiny hand in his. He noticed the silver skull ring she had on her pinky, smiling a bit at it.

“Kennedy. Nice to meet you. Well, not like this.” She said, motioning to her makeup stained face. She sniffled once more, wiping a tear that didn’t have the time to fall down her cheek away quickly.

“I don’t mind,” Zacky said, earning a small smile from her. “I know I’m a stranger and all, but if you wanna talk about it, I’m right here.” He added, not breaking their gaze. For a while, she said nothing, just stared at him with those big eyes of hers. Then, out of nowhere, she began to nod, moving over in her seat to allow room for him to sit.

“Why the hell not?”
X

So she told him. She told him why she was crying. She was crying because of the guy Zacky had first seen her with. She was hesitant to tell him everything, and he could tell, but she did. She trusted him. She didn’t even know him, and she trusted him. She told him about his abusive ways, she told him the story behind the tiny scar on the right side of her head that lay right before her hairline, she told him everything. And he was silent as he listened, his gaze not once leaving her face as she spoke. By the time she was finished, the tears were long gone, and a silence hung over the pair. Then he asked the dumbest question that anyone could have ever asked an abuse victim.

“Why do you stay?” Zacky asked tenderly, watching her face carefully to gauge her reaction. She remained emotionless and silent for a few moments, her eyes staring straight ahead.

“4 times I’ve left him, and 3 times I’ve called the police,” she began, her eyes still straight ahead. “7 times I’ve ended up in the hospital because of him. 7 times I’ve ended up right back where I started.” She finished, falling silent after she spoke. Zacky didn’t think he could hate a man as much as he did. His whole body was hot; his heart beat a loud drum behind his ears.

“I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to kill someone as bad as I do right now.” Zacky grumbled, leaning back in his seat. She laughed quietly, the sound bringing a small smile to his face. She leaned back with him, resting her head lightly on his shoulder.

“Are you going home to him now?” He asked. Her silence was his answer. He shook his head, sitting up from the back of the seat. “Come with me.” He offered. Her eyes widened as she scoffed, shaking her head. Almost mocking Zacky, the bus came to a halt.

“I wish it was that easy,” She whispered, standing up, getting ready to leave the bus. He looked at her with a pained expression, wanting nothing more than to drag her back down into his lap and hold her. “Bye, Zacky. Take care of yourself.” She said, biting her lip before turning and heading off the bus. He watched as she left the large automobile, pulling her sleeves down her arms against the brisk wind. He watched her as the bus pulled off, watched as she became nothing more than a tiny dot in the distance. Pulling his head away from the window, he slouched back in his seat, his mind running over the details of their recent conversation.

“Kennedy.” He said aloud quietly, saying the name to himself. The word was like honey on his tongue.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: The response to this was immediate and amazing. Thank you all so much, especially LoriJane1995 and Star Angel. Come out, silent readers!