Status: I'm drooling over here.

Camp Wakiki

Violet Langley

The entire room’s eyes were focused on Doug Ellison, as he gave his usual spiel to his staffers. Three years ago, when Violet was just a counselor in training, she had been enthralled by his speech. She hung onto every word, memorizing each thing that he said. Now she didn’t have to, because she already knew the rules, but even if she didn’t, she wouldn’t have been paying much attention. She was looking at Doug Ellison, but that didn’t mean that she was listening to him.

Instead, Violet’s attention was focused solely on the rough hand wrapped around hers. His fingers, which were rubbing against her skin, were rough and calloused from all the time he spent with a bow. Her thumbs were calloused in a few of the same spots, but for a very different reason.

While he was in charge of teaching archery, along with counseling a group of eight year old boys, she taught music lessons and headed a group of wild thirteen year old girls. The twos jobs were very different, but somehow Liam and Violet fit together so well.

When Liam had first asked her on a date, no one in camp was surprised except her. He took her out to the lake, once all the campers were in bed, and fed her chips while they chatted all night. It was simple, but she fell in love. With him, underneath the starry sky, it was almost impossible not to.

“The campers will be arriving first thing in the morning,” Doug said, smiling out at them. “So I hope you will all get a good night’s rest, but I think I know you all well enough to believe that will not happen.”

The group laughed. Doug was right. None of the staffers would be getting much rest that night. It was their last night without the children, their last night to be free. They’d still have occasional secret staff parties throughout the summer, but nothing as extravagant as they’d like, and with not near as many people. Throughout the summer, someone had to stay behind to stand watch.

The night before the campers arrived would be their last hoorah, and it was going to be unforgettable.

The Last Hoorah was always full of hook-ups, drunken mistakes, loud yelling, and skinny dipping in the lake. The Last Hoorah always made up for the quiet parties they’d have to throw during the summer. The Last Hoorah was something to remember.

Violet couldn't wait to spend The Last Hoorah with her boyfriend. Just thinking about it made her excited, and she couldn't stop her eyes from moving away from Doug Ellison to gaze at Liam instead.

Her eyes followed his hand up to his face, landing immediately on his newly shaven head. It had taken a lot of convincing on her part, but he’d finally done it. His shaggy mess of hair had disappeared, and she was sure he’d thank her for it when sweat was no longer pooling on his face. He’d needed it cut for his shooting, anyway.

When Doug excused the staff members, after one last thank you to them, the entire room dispersed, as many of the veteran staff headed out to set up for the party. It was early, but they liked to make sure they had everything up before dark, because once you were out at the lake past dusk you only had the moon to guide you.

“Liam!” A voice called behind them, causing both Violet and Liam to whip their heads back.

Violet’s eyes were met immediately with those of Louis Tomlinson. She couldn’t stop the fire from boiling in her chest, as she thought about his recent break-up with Chloe. She pushed it down, though, because Louis was one of her boyfriend’s best friends, and she couldn’t hate him just because things hadn’t worked out with Chloe, even though she wanted to.

Louis had ruined everything when he broke up with Chloe. They were the only couple that had been dating as long as Liam and Violet, and they had always seemed so perfect. Louis hadn’t even given a good excuse when he broke up with her. It made Violet worry that someday Liam would do the same thing. She couldn’t be sure.

One thing was certain. There wouldn’t be any more double dates with Chloe and Louis, because Chloe and Louis were over. As much as Violet hated it, she had to accept it, and besides, everything happens for a reason, right?

Violet gripped tighter onto Liam’s hand, as he and Louis shared in several nostalgic moments. Every time they saw one another again, after the long school year, they always talked about the things they’d done at camp the year before and ways they could make this year even better.

Unlike the boys, Violet didn’t have to worry about making this summer any better, because this summer was going to do it all on its own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maddi here, I will be writing for Violet(:
I hope you guys are getting as excited for this as we are!