Status: Might not be updated regularly because I'm going to take my time with it :-) (twitter - @erinsh33ran)

Dedication Takes a Lifetime, But Dreams Only Last for a Night

Round in Circles

Middle school had dragged on slowly. Freshman year had seemed like it was never going to end. I assumed that Sophomore year wasn't going to be any different either. I'm just an average 15 year old kid who hates school just as most other people do - what was going to make this year any different? I dreaded it, just as I did with any other year, but I'd battle through it.
I rolled over in bed to check my alarm on my bedside table. 7.00. The bus got here at 7.40 and the bus stop was only across the road from my house, and registration wasn't until 8.20 anyway. I sat up in bed, raising my arms above my head and stretching. I let out a moan before yawning and swinging my legs out of bed. I never rushed in the morning. If I missed the bus, who cares? My sister would take me anyway - I'm usually late to school. I trudged over to my closet and scanned my clothes, picking out a Blink 182 t-shirt and some black skinny jeans. I folded them over my arm and walked to the bathroom, which was just across from my room. I threw my t-shirt over my head before attempting to put both legs in my skinny jeans at once, failing miserably. I chuckled to myself, putting them on the sensible way. Running my hands through my skunk hair, I looked at myself in the mirror, winking sarcastically.
"Good morning Mr Barakat." I whispered to myself, laughing and leaving the bathroom. I found my Converse shoes half way down the stairs. I raised an eyebrow, confused as to how they got there seeing as I was sure that I'd taken them to my room - but then again, I had a tendency to just throw things on the floor when I couldn't be bothered putting them away. I slid my feet into them, bending over and tying them up quickly. I spied my black hoodie hung up on the coat hooks, yanking it down and putting my arms through the sleeves. I picked up my phone from the kitchen table where I'd left it, switching it on and checking the time. 7.20. I was on time for once.
"Morning Jack!" My mom greeted me as I walked into the kitchen.
"Morning Mom." I mumbled, taking a slice of bread out the packet and popping it in the toaster. I leaned against the kitchen counter, waiting for my toast to pop up.
"Comb your hair Jack." Mom frowned at my, throwing a comb in my direction. I mimicked her sarcastically, smirking at her. She was always on my case about my appearance. How I should dress smarter because it might attract the girls. How I should pay attention to my hair and not let it be so messy.
"Fine." I groaned, running the comb through my hair as my toast popped up. I threw the comb across the kitchen at my Mom and took my toast out of the toaster, spreading butter across it with the knife and the butter that my Mom had left on the side for me. She hated me being late for school, so she did everything she can to make sure I wasn't.
I took a bite out of my toast, sitting in a stool around the kitchen table. I leaned my elbow in the table and sighed heavily. I sat and stared across the kitchen in silence aimlessly.
"Jack, where's your school bag?" Mom asked me suddenly, trying to prepare me for school, once again. I gestured towards the front door with my hand, pointing towards my school bag which was slung on the floor underneath the coat hooks. She picked it up and handed it to me.
"Now, get off to school. The bus is coming down the road." She informed me. She pecked me on the cheek and patted me on the back. I trailed towards the door, opening it and grabbing my keys on my way out.
"Bye Mom." I shouted into the house before slamming the front door behind me. I looked up the road, and sure enough, the bus was on it's way. I forced a smile onto my face, pulling the sleeves of my hoodie over my knuckles, and jogged across the road to the bus stop where several people from my school were stood waiting for the bus.
Everyone climbed on in a hurry as it pulled up, and I waited until they were all on before following them on myself. I walked up the bus as it set off, looking around for my friends. I spotted Rian sat at the back with a spare seat next to him, and I ran up the bus, throwing myself into the empty space. He flashed a smile in my direction.
"Hey man. Looking forward to school?" Rian greeted me. He knew very well that I hated school, and he was one of the people who kept me sane throughout the door. I smirked at him before replying.
"Oh, school! Oh, the joys. Of course I am. I love school!" I answered, sarcastically, exaggerating my words with hand actions. He bit his lip to stop himself from clown.
"Jack Bassam Barakat. Who would've thought that he would ever look forward to school?" Rian laughed, "Mr. Future Comedian here."
I grinned at him, knowing he was trying to lighten the mood. I leaned against the back of the seat, closing my eyes and sighing. I sat up abruptly when Rian elbowed me in the sides.
"Dude, we're here." Rian informed me. I nodded at him, rolling my eyes and standing up. The two of us walked off the bus, following the crowds of students in front of us. We spotted Zack walking into school.
"Shout him Barakat. You're louder than me. He looks like a loner on his own." Rian told me. I took a deep breath and put my hands around my mouth. I stopped in my tracks.
"MERRICK!" I yelled. Rian chuckled at me. I'd always been known as one of the loudest kids around. Zack turned around, looking for us with a confused expression on his face. He spied us as we got nearer to him and a smile formed on his face. He waved and leaned against the wall, waiting for us to catch up.
"You're so loud, Jack." Zack said, sticking his fingers in his ears playfully.
"Why didn't you catch the bus man?" I asked, ignoring his comment.
"Slept in. The usual." Zack answered. I rolled my eyes, ruffling his hair with my right hand. He scrunched up his face pulling away from me. We walked into school and headed towards our lockers. I unlocked mine, scrambling around inside it for my Sophomore year schedule. I found it scrunched up in the back corner of my locker, where I'd put it on my last day. I turned around abruptly to ask my friends what their first lesson was after morning registration, instead walking into someone. I didn't have time to check who it was, as he dropped a few of his books on the floor and I heard him mumble something under his breath. I bent down in a panic to help the boy pick his belongings up, looking up as I did so and finding myself face to face with Alex Gaskarth.
"Thanks for that Barakat. Watch what you're doing." He groaned, picking up his books. We both stood up and I handed his things to him in a hurry.
"Sorry Alex." I squeaked out. Alex was one of the most popular kids in our school and I didn't want him to start hating me as well.
"Don't worry about it. I'm not gonna hold it against you." He chuckled, noticing the expression of panic that was written all over my face. I let out a deep breath, wiping my head and laughing.
"Good." I beamed at him. He nodded in my direction and walked a few steps forward, but pausing and turning around suddenly. He winked back at me subtly before walking on to a group of his friends surrounding their lockers. I squeezed my eyes together, sure that I had been seeing things, looking to my friends who had been watching me. Zack's face was one of shock, Rian's one of amusement. I walked towards them with my eyes wide, and my eyebrows raised.
"Did he... Did he just?" I started, about to ask them if Alex had just winked at me.
"Wink at you?" Zack finished my sentence for me. I nodded in response, gulping.
Now, Rian knew that I had a thing for Alex back in 8th grade when he first moved here from England. He was the first boy that I had ever found myself attracted to, so it was a bit awkward. I went off him as soon as he got in with the popular crowd, but I've always thought of him as an attractive boy. Sometimes I think it's possible that I still have feelings for him, but I try to convince myself otherwise. I know that I'd never have a chance with a boy like Alex, if any boy at all. Alex would never like someone like me. Plus, he was interested in girls anyway. Or so I thought.
"Jack!" Rian yelled in my ear, waving a hand in front of my face. I shook my head to get all thought's of Alex out of my head, "It's lesson time man, you were in your own little world."
I sighed and followed Rian to morning registration. Boy, I had a feeling this year was going to be a hell of a lot different to any other.
♠ ♠ ♠
HOLLA GUESS WHO'S BACK
so this update is really bad, because people have been asking me to update and i just wanted to get Jack into his first day in Sophomore year as i'd mentioned in the previous chapter
i promise the next few chapters will be a lot better than this one, and more will happen because i've already got several ideas!!
i hope y'all like it
tweet me @erinsh33ran and tell me what you think :-)