Status: Now with a music video! (h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c - t n J B 8 A W Q o) 'Angel With A Shotgun' by The Cab-RotG HTTYD OC Don't forget to take out the spaces!

Night's Fury

Chapter 14

Emotions rushed through her in bursts, overwhelming in their intensity.

Anger, guilt, panic, sadness…

Jade felt overwhelmed.

So, like she had hundreds of times before, she shut everything out.

It was her way of dealing with the pain, numbing herself to everything and not allowing sensations to reach past her walls.

Hugging her knees, wings limp against the damp stone floor, Jade tried to ignore the shattered remains of her heart.

Nightmare-sand lurked at the edges of her cage, the grains rolling over each other in sinister whispers.

Pathetic.

Weak.

Failure.

Jade could not find the strength to argue with the voices, could only close her eyes and turn her face away in defeat.

You couldn’t save him.

You can’t save anyone.

Everything good is dead, and it’s all your fault.

I know, her soul whimpered, I know and I’m so sorry

The nightmare-sand crept closer, as if ready to pounce, and she made no move to avoid it.

Who would care if she was gone, anyway?

She was only a burden…

Suddenly, something disrupted the darkness, and her eyes needed a moment to adjust before the girl realized what it was.

The ring hanging between her breasts was glowing.

The blank green eyes lit up, a sparkle of hope.

Was Jack…?

Numb fingers curled around the icy jewelry, and the thrum of it’s magic, Jack’s magic, pulsed against her palm.

It was the feeling of snow against her skin and a cold breeze through her hair, the rush of laughter after a nosedive and the peace of a night under the stars.

The memories warmed her heart, calmed the storm of emotions there and slowly brought down the wall that Jade had built to defend herself.

Jack had done so much for her; taught her how to play, and laugh, even how to fly!

Honestly, she had been a little scared, looking over the edge of that cliff and not being able to see the bottom.

But Jack had just smiled, floating a few feet out over the drop.

Trust me, fluffy. I won’t let you fall.”

And he hadn’t.

Just remembering his words gave her confidence, conviction.

No matter what, Jack had always been right there, and nothing she could have done would make him leave.

How many times had they crashed into each other, or argued over something silly?

How many times had she stormed off in a huff, cursing in draconic over a prank, only for Jack to seek her out within the hour, full of apologies?

After everything they had been through, she refused to let things end here!

Filled with a new resolve, the dragon-girl unfurled, wings flexing and twitching as fresh blood flowed beneath the black scales.

The nightmare-sand, as if sensing her growing strength, whispered more fiercely as it formed into Nightmares.

They hate you.

They’ll never accept you.

You’re all alone.

For a moment, Jade faltered.

The ring pulsed once, strongly, and the words engraved on the inner band burned through her mind.

Never Alone.

“I don’t care!” The Night Fury snarled, scales bristling. “I don’t care if no one wants anything to do with me ever again! The Guardians and Jack are my pack, and I refuse to keep wallowing in self-pity while they need me!”

Her spark flared up, the magic funneling into the ring still clasped in her hand and causing the light that escaped between her fingers to grow brighter.

“And if you get in my way, you’re not going to live to regret it!”

A rush of magic burst forth, like an explosion of light and heat, that evaporated her prison and destroyed the army of shadows galloping forward in a vain attempt to stop her.

Dizzy from the sudden loss of energy, Jade blinked the stars away as she overlooked the carnage.

Shaking the fatigue off, the dragon-girl spared one last glance at the ring to strengthen her determination, and pressed a kiss to the blooming rose.

I’m coming, Jack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Facing down a flaming Monstrous Nightmare and an army of Nightmares, Jack wondered for the millionth time where Jade was.

She was nowhere to be found in Pitch’s lair, and he had been forced to race to Jamie’s house before expanding the search.

Was she alright?

Did Pitch still have her somewhere?

Despite being faced with certain doom, all Jack could worry about was Jade and the children.

The massive dragon opened it’s fang-lined mouth with a hiss of flammable gas, and the Guardians stepped back, shielding Jamie as best they could.

Just as the faintest spark was about to be lit, an inhuman shriek filled the night air.

Recognizing the sound, Jack turned sharply and pulled Jamie close.

“GET DOWN!”

The next moment, a black blur slammed into the Monstrous Nightmare’s head.

Screeching in surprise, the larger dragon struggled to dislodge the livid Night Fury holding it’s jaws shut, rolling over in a vain attempt to break her hold.

Fangs bared in a snarl, Jade clamped her fangs on a horn, yanking the dragon’s head back around as her claws dug into it’s shoulders and back.

The pair of dragons were a violent bundle of wings, claws and teeth, wrestling for the upper hand.

With one last effort, Jade turned the tables and pinned the Monstrous Nightmare, a paw pressing down on the spindly neck.

Don’t you ever come back here again.” She ordered in the low, growling words of draconic. “Or you will wish all I’ll do is kill you, flame-skin.”

The massive dragon wasted no time in heeding her words and fleeing without a backwards glance.

Shaking out her scales, the Night Fury transformed back into peace-form, no less furious than before as she stood between the nervous Nightmares and her pack.

Wings unfurled, Jade scanned the others to check for injuries, green locking with blue.

In that moment, they shared the guilt, the worry, and the love that had gone unsaid, as if their thoughts were open in each other’s eyes.

Blue flickered once, towards the make-shift sleigh and other odds and ends nearby.

Green rolled towards one of the nearby trucks, narrow pupils widening slightly in mischief.

The exchange took only a handful of seconds, but that was all they needed.

“Well, isn’t this a surprise?” Pitch voiced, drawing the attention back to him. “I wasn’t expecting you for a few more days, my dear. Have you considered my proposal?”

A flash of rage crossed her eyes, but Jade smoothed her features into an untroubled expression, only the slightest of frowns as a warning.

“You want me to consider it?” She wondered, monotone, and Jack knew that was a really bad sign. “Fine. I’ve considered it.”

Reaching out, the dragon-girl grabbed the rear bumper of a delivery truck, the metal crumpling in her hold.

“Here’s my answer.”

Everyone but Jack was awestruck when she lifted the ten ton vehicle and chucked it at the Nightmare King’s face.

Pitch avoided being squashed by blending into the shadows, though a swath of Nightmares were destroyed instead.

The momentary distraction was all they needed.

Whipping around, Jade grabbed North and Tooth, shoving them onto the make-shift sleds Jack shoved onto his newly-made ice ramp.

“Let’s go get your friends.” The winter spirit said in way of explanation, smiling at the last believer.

Jamie was picked up before he could so much as blink, and was tossed into Jack’s arms as the wind pushed everyone forward.

Giving the heavier North one good shove, Jade flew ahead, her wings cutting through whatever Nightmares were catching onto the plan.

If any dragon had seen her do so, they would have been flabbergasted.

After all, a downed dragon is a dead dragon.

Jade did not think twice about it, too focused on the mission to care if anything hurt her wings.

They slid down the streets at high speed, Jamie laughing at the reminder of his earlier ride as the earthbound Guardians twisted and turned through the streets behind him.

Forming snowballs, Jack tossed them up so Jade could use her tail fins to smack them into bedroom windows, waking up the children within.

The startled faces peering out, still sparkling with magic, made her laugh for the first time in hours.

Jack was having the time of his life, making ramps and loops while bringing snow indoors so the children would believe.

“Merry Christmas!”

“Happy Easter!”

“Don’t forget to floss!”

Soon, a small group had joined them on proper sleds, hooting and hollering as they slid around corners at insane speeds.

“The Tooth Fairy!”

“And the Easter Bunny!”

“Santa! They’re all real!”

Even Jack was visible, and she could not hold in a celebratory fireball, flying through in a burst of white sparks that had the children cheering in amazement.

The laughter faded out prematurely along with the ice as they were faced with a wall of black sand.

Swooping down, Jade draped her wings over the children like a shield, the warmth comforting the ones that had begun to tremble.

Pitch was on a rooftop above them, riding a Nightmare and looking very smug.

“You think a few children can help you? Against this?”

It was like watching a storm approach, full of lightning and chaos, and her wings tensed.

“They’re just bad dreams, Jamie.” Jack assured, steadying North as his strength faded.

“We’ll protect ya, mate.” Bunny assured, his little body bristling.

“Aw, you’ll protect them?” Pitch mocked, chuckling. “But who will protect you?”



“I will.”

The group parted as the Night Fury stepped forward, expression steely.

“If you want them, you’ll have to go through me first.” She promised fiercely.

The Nightmare King frowned, not liking this turn of events.

“You may want to reconsider, my dear.”

“No, I don’t.” The dragon-girl replied, firm. “I’ve been through the childhood you want to give these kids. I was scared of every shadow, every strange sound…Never knowing if they were a trick of the senses or a dragon hunting me down. I don’t call that existence living.”

The ring brightened against the dyed colors of her shirt, channeling the magic pulsing from her spark.

I won’t let you put any child through the hell I went through as a hatchling.”

None of the children could quite explain it, but the white-blue light coming from the icy jewelry started pushing back their fear.

Jamie felt a sort of determination, some sort of bravery, fill his chest like a flame.

“I’ll help, too.”

Jade‘s ear horn twitched, and she shifted slightly as the boy stepped up to her side.

“Me, too.” A larger girl added, an intimidating scowl on her face.

“Us, too!” The twins added seriously, taking their places under the shelter of the Night Fury’s unfurled wings.

Soon, the entire group had joined her, taking strength from the mighty dragon’s close presence and the light still shining over her heart.

They were not afraid anymore.

“Still think there’s no such thing as the Boogieman?” Pitch demanded as the wall of nightmare-sand rolled closer, knocking out lamps to cast the open street in darkness.

“I do believe in you.” Jamie admitted, firm. “I’m just not afraid of you.”

The dark Nightmares came crashing down towards them, and Jade rushed forward to stop them-

And the grains turned gold upon contact with their skin.

Twisting out of her quick take-off, the dragon-child looked around in awe as dreams formed from the renewed dream-sand, reaching out with one hand to touch a passing Nightmare.

The dark creature screamed as it’s body turned gold, and a wonderful smile filled Jade’s face as the sand became a beautiful serpentine dragon being ridden by a knight instead.

Cheers came from below, and she turned to see Tooth zip around the children, overjoyed that she was once again strong enough to fly.

North laughed joyfully as his strength was renewed, spinning his sabers like they were toys.

The smile widened, threatening to split her face.

Children were believing again.

The remaining Nightmares charged, and she swooped down, turning any that touched even the tips of her wings back into dream-sand.

Portals were opened, and yeti ran out with angry battle-cries as various flying toys filled the air, a few elves sometimes latching onto a leg and biting.

The rush of belief even returned Bunny to his original size, and he opened tunnels that transported his large egg golems to join the battle.

It was a joyous chaos, though Jade was careful to keep all of the children in sight as she destroyed the ranks, the light from her ring now scaring the beasts into a hasty retreat.

Pulling up from a dive, she spotted Jack throwing ice blasts at the Nightmare King and immediately moved to join him.

A blast of nightmare-sand exploded in midair thanks to a lightning-colored fireball, and Pitch was formally reacquainted with Jade’s right fist as she punched him across the rooftop.

Jack could not help an impressed whistle at the blow, jumping to stand next to her.

“Feel better?”

She huffed, flames crackling on her breath.

“Not until I’ve broken every bone in his body.”

Pitch had no time to regain his footing before the two were upon him, fire and ice hissing through the air together in an attempt to destroy him.

The pair was relentless, seeking revenge for everything that had been done to them and the Guardians, as well as the children’s safety.

A sphere of nightmare-sand erupted as Tooth’s wings flew through it like blades, and Bunny popped up from the building’s chimney to throw his boomerangs, taking out more of Pitch’s personal entourage.

For a moment, Jade wondered where North was, but ignored the thought as she tackled a Nightmare into a cloud of golden dust.

When Pitch tried to jump across the street, North met him mid-flight and slashed his steed to dust, bringing the fight abruptly to ground level.

The five fought like a well-oiled machine; when one was knocked out of the confrontation, another took their place, not once getting in each other’s way.

In-sync, the two teenagers kicked the Nightmare King back as the Guardians regrouped, closing the dark spirit into a dead-end alley.

Blue fire swelled up in her throat, ready for use.

“It’s over, Pitch. There’s no place to hide.” Jack stated, wary of the massive sand-scythe the other wielded.

Pitch truly did seem caught…

Until he cackled, blending into the shadows and using illusions, confusing the spirits that tried to relocate him.

But he did not fool the Night Fury.

Her species was made for dark, moonless nights, so their eyes had long evolved to see through the densest shadows in search of prey.

So while the others were on guard, wondering where the Nightmare King had gone, Jade saw through his plan and acted.

Just as Pitch materialized behind Jack, weapon raised to slice the boy to ribbons, she pounced.

With a roar that would have put any lion to shame, her forearm scattered the blade into swirls of gold dream-sand as a blast of lightning-fire sent the man toppling back into the parked school buses.

Before Pitch could even attempt to stand, a little gold hand grabbed him by the collar and yanked him into the air.

Jade blinked in surprise, pupils dilating in hope.

Could it be…?

The group rushed to see what had happened, and there was Sandman, materializing from a cloud of dream-sand as good as new.

Tears of joy pricked at Jade’s eyes, overwhelming in a way that she enjoyed.

Sandy was alive.

Punching the dark spirit high into the clouds, still connected to a dream-whip, Sandy took the time to materialize a bowler hat to tip towards the awestruck children before flicking his wrist and slamming Pitch into the ground.

Unable to contain herself, Jade swooped in and lifted the little man into a hug, a handful of tears soaking into his shoulder.

“You have no idea how much we missed you.” She whispered.

Sandy smiled gently, patting her nose, and the action warmed her heart.

Releasing him, the dragon-girl stepped back so the other Guardians could reunite with their wayward member, sharing a smile with Jack.

Rising on a cloud of dream-sand, Sandy spread his dreams all over the world, and the sudden swell of belief was almost tangible.

Large dream-sand constructs wandered the streets, animals of all sorts soaring and stomping along, driving the shadows back.

The children were awestruck, only able to giggle and watch schools of golden fish swim by.

Jade smiled, watching them chase each other through the snow…

At least until a snowball smacked her upside the head.

Flinching in surprise, the dragon-child whipped around, mock-glaring at a smirking Jack Frost.

“Up for a little fun, fluffy?”

A matching smirk crossed her face, tail swaying like a prowling cat’s.

“Bring it on, Jackie.”

Snow was flung around chaotically, either molded into ammunition or in sprays from the Night Fury’s skids, and caused the children to start a snowball fight amongst themselves.

Everyone was involved, even Bunny, but Jade was too preoccupied with catching the laughing winter spirit to really notice.

Tackling Jack to the ground, she laughed as they wrestled for dominance, the winter spirit pinning her down after a few moments.

Breathless, the dragon-girl looked up into those blue eyes and smiled.

Heart thundering, the frost-boy smiled softly back and leaned in.

It was like sunrises and snowflakes and sweet sugar as their lips met, cold and hot coexisting in a wonderful spark.

Closing her eyes, Jade wrapped her arms around the boy’s neck to pull him closer, head tilting to accommodate the kiss better.

Jack groaned, becoming addicted to her heat, and his hands moved to cup the girl’s face.

Pulling away as air became a necessity, they shared a loopy grin before a happy squeal drew the teenagers’ attention away from each other.

Tooth and her mini-fairies seemed absolutely smitten, like they had just seen the sweetest thing in the whole world, and Sandy grinned, little hearts appearing over his head as he gave them a thumbs-up.

North looked awfully pleased, as if he had orchestrated the whole thing, and Bunny grumbled as he handed the large man something.

Looks like someone lost a bet.

Blushing at all the attention, Jade hid her face in Jack’s hoodie, ear horns pressed back shyly as Tooth cooed about how cute that was.

Laughing softly, Jack tangled his fingers in her loosened hair, pressing a kiss between the sensitive appendages.

“At least you’re not covered in paint this time.”

Scoffing, she bopped him on the chest.

“Oh, stuff it…”

Greatly amused by her antics, Jack let her up, their fingers intertwined despite her pout.

“You dare have fun in my presence?!”

The shout caught everyone’s attention, drawing it towards the recently-awakened Pitch.

“I am the Boogieman! And you will fear me!”

At that moment, Jamie ran right through him.

The realization dawned on him, and the Nightmare King ran away, slipping on the icy ground in his haste to escape.

Too bad they got to the lake first and North’s belly cut him off.

“Leaving the party so soon?” The Russian wondered casually.

“You didn’t even say goodbye.” Tooth agreed, flipping a quarter into his chest, twisting his features incredulously.

“A quarter?”

The fairy proceeded to punch out a tooth, which sounded very satisfying to everyone involved.

“And that’s for my fairies.”

The little hummingbird creatures chattered in agreement, chastising him.

“You can’t get rid of me!” Pitch warned, trying to regain his composure. “Not forever! There will always be fear!”

“So what?” North retorted, untroubled. “As long as one child believes, we will be here to fight fear.”

“And as long as I’m alive, I’ll be here to protect the Guardians.” Jade promised. “You’ll never win.”

“Really? Then what are they doing here?” He wondered, gesturing to the Nightmares that began surrounding the frozen lake.

“They can’t be my Nightmares. I’m not afraid.” North assured with a chuckle.

Confusion filled the dark spirit, as if he could not comprehend what was happening for a moment.

Jack, vindictive over the trauma Jade had been put through, voiced Pitch’s fear.

“Looks like it’s your fear they smell.”

The beasts overwhelmed their master in a rush of thunder and screams, sealing him away in the hole that had lured the teens into trouble only a few hours ago.

And just like that, it was over.

Jade could hardly believe it.

“Are you ready now, Jack?” North wondered. “To make it official.”

Jack smiled, clearly touched, and nodded.

“It is time you take Oath.” North stated, taking the large tome from one of the yeti as the egg golems, children and elves joined them on the ice. “Will you, Jack Frost, vow to watch over the children of the world? To guard them with your life, their hopes, their wishes, and their dreams, for they are all we have, all that we are, and all that we will ever be?”

The winter spirit turned to his first believers, the little boy that had not given up and the dragon-girl that had always been by his side.

Both smiled back, giving their unconditional support, and Jack finally found his voice.

“I will.”

“Then congratulations, Jack Frost, for you are now, and forevermore, a Guardian.”

Cheers went up among the masses, but Jack did not pay them much mind.

He was focused in on the girl standing only a few feet away, smiling oh so sweetly and with undeniable love shining in her eyes.

Oh Moon, the sight was enough to make his heart skip a few beats.

“Everything’s going to be different now, huh?” She voiced, tone gentle and a little bit apprehensive, as those eyes cast downward.

A cool hand tipped her chin back up, comforting blue eyes meeting uncertain green.

“Not really.”

There is no need to say more, because she understands.

Relieved, Jade bounced up on her toes to press a warm kiss to the boy’s mouth, smile mischievous.

“I’m not good at sharing with others.”

A matching smirk crossed Jack’s face, and he nipped the girl’s nose as his arms wrapped around her waist.

“Good, because neither am I.”