Status: Now with a music video! (h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c - t n J B 8 A W Q o) 'Angel With A Shotgun' by The Cab-RotG HTTYD OC Don't forget to take out the spaces!

Night's Fury

Chapter 3

The sun was bright and playful overhead, warming her wings through the wind and the snow as Jade sprawled on a toy store rooftop to sunbathe.

Purring softly, the Night Fury barely turned her head as a breeze brushed against her hide, green eyes docile and half-lidded.

“There you are!” Jack greeted, flopping down to sit against her warm side. “Is this where you’ve been all morning?”

The dragon cooed softly, nodding, as one wing came around to cover the frost-boy like a blanket.

Chuckling, he reached out to scratch behind an ear horn, causing the purrs to grow in volume as her scales rippled in pleasure.

“You’re being real cuddly, you know that?”

The purrs did not waver, but her tail came around, one of the fins slapping Jack lightly upside the head.

“Hey!” He retorted through a burst of laughter, batting the benign appendage away. “What was that for?”

Jade huffed out a plume of acrid smoke, lifting her head as if to say ‘I’m a Night Fury, not cuddly!’

Amused by the tough act, Jack scratched under the dragon’s chin, and she collapsed into a purring mound of rippling scales.

“Whatever you say.”

Oh, but Jade was not about to go down without a fight; rolling onto her back, she caught the chuckling boy in a bear-hug and pinned him to her chest, wings folding up to encase Jack entirely.

Laughing, Jack wriggled in her hold as the dragon licked his face, freeing his staff enough to tap her nose in surrender.

With a low grumble, she rolled back over and released him onto a pile of snow she had cleared away early that morning.

In one smooth motion, the Night Fury was standing, shaking out her scales as Jack floated in the air, feeling rather pleased with himself.

“Ready for a snow day, miss grumpy scales?”

In a rush of white-blue magic, a teenaged girl stood in the dragon’s place, straightening out the long-sleeved blue crop-top and tattered jeans she wore with a sigh.

“Alright, alright, I’m coming…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever Jack goes to play with the children, I tend to stay behind and watch the friendly war from a safe distance.

The last thing I want to do is frighten them.

Besides, I’m no good at making snowballs, even after three hundred years of practice.

So I sat on the nearest rooftop, clearing a little patch that was out of sight from below, and watched.

Though the children were clearly having fun, Jack seemed to glow with unbridled joy, swinging his staff to create ammunition left and right.

In the heat of the moment, snowballs flying overhead and laughter ringing off the snow, I think Jack felt visible.

The very moment when reality comes crashing back down, I wish I could just burn it all to ashes.

I was distracted from the happy sight by the feeling of being watched, and I whipped around, heart pounding with adrenaline and fire bubbling up my throat like lava.

Nothing.

Swallowing my fire back down, I frowned, scanning the nearby rooftops warily.

I spent two centuries being hunted; I knew when I was being watched.

But I was a fool, reasoning that my slightly-dormant survival instincts had gone haywire, and turned back-

To see Jack sending a young boy on a crazy sled-ride through the streets.

That boy is going to be the death of me.

Worried despite myself, I took off after them, jumping from rooftop to rooftop as the sled swerved onto the sidewalk thanks to the strip of ice forming rapidly beneath the rudders.

The boy’s screams turned into laughter, and I wondered if that was the adrenaline taking hold.

After narrowly avoiding an oncoming sixteen-wheeler, which unceremoniously dumped it’s load of furniture on the icy street, a handful of cars, and a bulldozer, the child was then sent flying through the air from a hastily-made ramp.

I couldn’t help wincing as he landed in a pile of snow at the base of a statue, as concerned as his friends seemed to be.

Jack landed on the statue with a shout of delight, clearly energized, and the boy was not far behind, popping out of the snow with a grin.

My ear horns twitched, zeroing in on his excited chatter.

“Did you guys see that? It was amazing! I did a jump, and then I slid under a car-!”

A couch, most likely from the earlier moving fan, came out of nowhere and hit him like a rugby player, causing everyone to wince.

Ow…” I muttered in sympathy.

I was relieved when he popped back up, holding a tooth in his hand like it was a trophy.

“Cool, a tooth!”

They were so excited that I couldn’t help giggling, but it died in my throat as they moved away, ignorant of Jack’s growing upset.

He took off, frustrated, and I did not hesitate to follow him up into the frigid air.

Fortunately, I am a much faster flyer, and caught up quickly, grabbing onto Jack’s arm to stop him.

“Jack…”

Holding back tears, sadness evident in his eyes, he pulled me into a hug and held on like I was a lifeline keeping him from drowning.

Knowing the wind would keep us aloft, I folded my wings around us, tail curling around his feet as I hugged back.

Jack is cold, but I didn’t care; he needed me.