Status: Now with a music video! (h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c - t n J B 8 A W Q o) 'Angel With A Shotgun' by The Cab-RotG HTTYD OC Don't forget to take out the spaces!

Night's Fury

Chapter 7

There is a very good reason why I never tell anyone I’m a Night Fury.

While I love being the fastest dragon alive, the baggage of being the most feared is heavy.

I am not like my ancestors; centuries of isolation, and then meeting Jack, eradicated any sadistic impulses I could have mustered.

Even the thought of attacking innocents, dragon or otherwise, leaves a taste of poisonous eel in my mouth.

It would be as unnatural as Jack hating snow days, North hating cookies, or even Bunnymund liking the cold.

I retaliate in self-defense, and even then I tend not to go for killing blows.

But if you threaten Jack…

I don’t know what lengths I would go to make you regret it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seated on the water’s edge, tail skimming over the surface in half-hearted designs, Jade could not bring herself to look at Tooth’s face.

The fairy was very clearly distraught over recent events, holding the few saved teeth containers as if they were her lifeline as Baby Tooth hovered about worriedly.

Jack was crouched near her, fingers drumming nervously over the frosted wood of his staff, and the two shared a look.

Neither was sure of what to say.

“I’m sorry about your fairies…” The frost-boy managed, and Jade could only nod in agreement, green eyes shining with empathy.

“You should have seen them…They put up such a fight.” Tooth voiced, barely managing a proud smile at the memory.

Baby Tooth zipped around them, chattering softly, and the dragon-girl chirped softly in reply.

“Why would Pitch take the teeth?” She wondered, ear horns pressed back.

“It’s not the teeth he wanted.” Tooth explained, showing the bejeweled surface of the container in her hands. “It’s the memories inside them.”

The word ‘memories‘ caught the winter spirit‘s attention, and Jade noticed.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s why we collect the teeth. They hold the most important memories of childhood.”

The fairy hovered over to a mural painted on the mountain wall; three interconnected circles, the center showing her accepting shining teeth from robed children.

Jack followed, the water freezing underfoot, and Jade followed confidently in his path, ear horns twitching in curiosity.

“My fairies and I watch over them, and when someone needs to remember what’s important, we help them.” Tooth explained, somber. “We had everyone’s here…Even yours, Jack.”

The boy jerked upright, confused.

“My teeth?”

“Of course, from before.”

A strong rush of emotions went through him, and only Jade’s soft touch on his wrist kept him from exploding.

“What do you mean?”

“We were all someone before we were chosen, Jack.”

Tooth paused, looking into his eyes with dawning realization.

“You don’t remember?”

As if overcoming the shock, Jack shook his head in the negative, filling with manic energy.

“You mean, I was someone before this? I had a home, and a family?!”

Jade had never seen him so excited, and released the boy as he burst into the air, running on impulse.

“We have to get them! I have to see!”

“We can’t.” Tooth reminded him solemnly. “Pitch took the teeth…”

The frost-boy landed on a boulder higher up, crouching as he pointed the crook of his staff.

“Then we’ll get them back!”

Before the fairy could say anything in reply, she gasped, feathers falling from her skirt.

“The children…” Tooth breathed as the mural began to disintegrate. “We’re too late…”

“No! NO! No such thing as too late!” North shouted, causing everyone to back up from the flailing of his swords.

Jade jumped up to join Jack out of harm’s way, wondering if they would see smoke come from the man’s ears from how hard he was thinking at that moment.

“Wait, wait, waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait…Idea!”

Bunny jerked back as one of the blades was pointed at his nose, but North seemed much too excited to care.

We will collect the teeth!”

What?” Tooth replied, incredulous.

We get teeth, children keep believing in you.”

“We’re talking seven continents, millions of kids-!” The fairy started, zipping around at the very enormity of the task.

“Give me break. You know how many toys I deliver in one night?”

“Or how many eggs I hide in one day?” Bunny added, not wanting to be shown up.

Giggling softly as her hope was renewed, Tooth smiled.

“And you two!” North shouted, turning to the teens perched above them. “If you help, I promise we will get back Jack’s memories.”

Ear horns perked up in interest, Jade looked to Jack and found him looking hopefully back.

He could not ask her to do this for him.

And he would never have to.

With a grin, Jade flared her wings proudly.

“We’re in.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swooping through the houses of Hong Kong, Jade rolled her eyes at the bantering between the males of their entourage.

Boys

“Jade!”

Turning her attention away from the clearly overwhelmed Tooth Fairy, she sent Jack a questioning look.

“Think you’re faster than ol’ Cottontail?”

“Wouldn’t count on it.” Said Australian voiced, sounding rather proud of himself. “Ya don’t wanna race a rabbit, sheila.”

A smirk crossed her face, pupils vibrating in excitement at the challenge.

“Bring it on, rabbit.”

What commenced was a race for as many teeth as they could get their hands on, each attempting to outdo the others in sheer volume.

The only ones in cahoots were Jack and Jade, who traded tidbits of information about traps and who was where when they briefly crossed paths in midair.

Within an hour or two, all six of them had bags of teeth, which they showed to Tooth proudly.

“Wow! You guys collect teeth and leave gifts as fast as my fairies!”

A collective thought of ‘Oh dang’ spread through the assembled group, and Tooth seemed to sense it.

“You guys have been leaving gifts, right?”

Sandman nodded for a moment, before thinking about it and shaking his head instead.

Jade winced, face-palming.

Damn.”

After a mad dash for anything on hand, with only Sandy, Jack and Jade actually leaving quarters, they canvassed the entire city a second time to silently leave gifts for the sleeping children.

Jade lost count of how many candy canes, colored eggs, and Christmas trees she saw in the bedrooms she passed, and was glad for it.

After all, some of those kids were going to be really confused come morning…