Status: Now with a music video! (h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c - t n J B 8 A W Q o) 'Angel With A Shotgun' by The Cab-RotG HTTYD OC Don't forget to take out the spaces!

Night's Fury

Chapter 8

By the time they were heading for Burgess, Jade was starting to yawn, blinking rapidly in an attempt to stay awake.

Unlike the others, she was still mortal, and needed sleep every now and then.

No matter how hard she tried, it was a losing battle.

Jack perked up when he felt a warm weight on his shoulder, and turned his head to see the dragon-girl curled up into his side, fast asleep.

Heart thudding as he took in the sight of her peaceful face, the winter spirit wrapped an arm around her waist to keep the girl from slipping onto the sleigh floor.

With a sigh, she cuddled into the boy’s shoulder, her warm breath ghosting over his neck and making him shiver.

A happy little squeak dragged Jack’s attention away, and he realized that they had an audience.

Tooth was practically brimming, barely containing her energy, and Baby Tooth chirped happily.

North only watched them from the corner of his eye, trying to hide a smile by steering the sleigh, and Sandman smiled, his dream sand making a little heart.

Even Bunny looked touched by the scene, though he covered it up gruffly by motioning between the two with a smirk.

“Ya forget to mention something, Frostbite?”

For a few moments, Jack had absolutely no idea why they were looking at him like that.

When his mind pieced it together, he was fairly certain he started blushing.

“Wha-No! I mean, we’re not-!”

“Nothing to be ashamed of, Jack!” North assured. “Is very sweet girl, when not upset.”

“But-”

“You two are so cute together!” Tooth squealed, wings vibrating happily.

Sandman motioned for them to quiet down, making sure Jade had not woken up from the noise.

Honestly, Jack did not want to know her reaction to this, either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jade was honestly confused by all of the weird looks she had been getting since waking up.

When she tried to ask Jack about it while they double-teamed a house, he just flushed and stuttered out an excuse.

Figuring that she likely did not want to know, the Night Fury let it go and continued on her quest for teeth.

After managing to steal the last five out from under Bunny’s nose, which was strangely more satisfying than usual, Jade caught up with the frost-boy and Tooth in the last house.

Wings tucked in tight and tail low, she slipped in through the window, sitting there for a moment to take in the sight of the little boy sleeping.

He had been the one Jack had taken on that sled ride only a few hours before, and the memory brought a smile to her face.

“Hey.” Jack greeted, looking up from the drawing pinned to the wall. “How’d you do?”

“I did alright.” She replied, dragging in a huge sack of teeth.

Jack’s jaw dropped.

The bag was as tall as she was!

“It’s-But-How did you-?”

A wry smile crossed her face, and he felt his heart stutter.

“You don’t wanna race a Night Fury, Jack.”

Stepping away from the window, ignorant of said boy’s whirling thoughts, Jade let the Sandman float in, merry as could be.

“Oh, you guys have done such a wonderful job!” Tooth praised softly, careful not to wake the child.

Jade’s ear horns pulled back shyly, and she scuffed her bare foot on the carpet as a smile pulled at her mouth.

“It was nothing…”

“What are you all doing in here?” North wondered loudly, squeezing through the window with a THUMP that had Tooth and Sandman shushing him.

A rabbit hole opened not long after, and a grumpy Easter Bunny pulled himself out.

“Oh, I see how it is! Let’s all team up to make sure the bunny comes in last place!”

Ear horn twitching towards the little boy, Jade motioned for Bunny to quiet down, checking that he had not been too disturbed from his rest.

“What’s wrong, Cottontail?” Jack teased, holding up his bag of teeth. “Having performance issues?”

“Ya call that a bag of choppers?” Bunny retorted, smirking as he held up a slightly bigger sack. “Now this is a bag of choppers!”

Rolling her eyes at their behavior, Jade dropped her own sack between them, amused by the look of shock that crossed the Australian’s face.

“No, this is.”

North wedged himself between them to physically break up the altercation, shaking his head.

“Is not competition. We are helping Tooth.” He chided them.

The three backed down, looking slightly ashamed of themselves…

“But if it was, I win!” The Russian exclaimed, dropping his own massive collection of teeth as he started dancing in victory.

From the twitch of her eye, Jack could tell Jade was not very amused.

The sudden brightness from a flashlight stopped everything in it’s tracks.

Jade resisted the urge to face-palm a second time that night.

Crap…”

The child seemed stunned, mind likely trying to process what he was seeing.

“Santa Claus…The Easter Bunny…Sandman…The Tooth Fairy! I knew you’d come!”

“Surprise! We came!” Tooth replied, sounding edgy.

“He can see us…” Jack whispered, almost excited.

Jade’s ear horns pressed back as she saw the boy’s eyes sweep right over him, and the frost-boy deflated at the look she sent him.

“Jack…”

“Sh, you guys! He’s still awake!” Tooth whispered urgently.

“Sandy, knock him out!” Bunny decided.

The little man nodded, punching his palm, and Jade barely suppressed a giggle from her place hidden behind North.

“With the dream sand, ya Gumby!”

It was at that moment exactly when the child’s Greyhound woke up and started growling.

“No! Stop! That’s the Easter Bunny! What are you doing, Abby? Get down!” The child ordered, though his pet ignored him.

“Alright, nobody panic.” Bunny assured, slowly putting down his bag of teeth.

“But that’s…that’s a Greyhound.” Jack pointed out, suppressing a smile. “Do you know what Greyhounds do to rabbits?”

“I think it’s a pretty safe bet that he’s never met a rabbit like me.” He countered, apparently oblivious to the ball of dream sand being conjured in Sandman’s hands. “Six foot one, nerves of steel, master of Tai Chi, and the ancient art of-”

Already tired of the posturing, Jade decided to step in.

With a low growl, she caught the dog’s eyes, maintaining eye contact as she reached forward.

Abby’s growl spiked, and she snapped, barely missing the girl’s fingers.

Baring her fangs, Jade bopped the canine firmly on the nose with a sharp snarl, wings flexing and scales bristling.

Whining softly, Abby lowered her head and tucked her tail firmly between her legs, practically begging for forgiveness.

Crooning softly, the dragon-girl scratched behind a pointed ear, looking up from the suddenly benign Greyhound to find all of the Guardians staring at her.

“How did you…?” Bunny started, gesturing between her and Abby in confusion.

“Oh, she just needed to know who’s boss.” Jade explained with a shrug. “It gives animals a sense of-”

Jack poked a nearby alarm clock with his, and chaos ensued.

Abby, startled by the sound, immediately reverted to her earlier behavior and started chasing Bunny around the room, barking up a storm.

“Security…” Jade finished lamely, ducking as the pair jumped over her head in a mad circle around the room.

Sandman lost hold of his sand-ball when Abby jumped off of him to get at Bunny, and while North avoided being struck, Tooth and her sole mini-fairy weren’t.

The ball bounced off every available surface, eventually hitting both Bunny and Abby right in the face, and didn’t stop until it had also sent North into dreamland.

When the Russian’s large body hit the mattress, the boy was sent flying into Sandman’s arms, who put him to sleep with a nod of his head.

Uncurling from her position on the dresser, Jade overlooked the carnage and sent Jack a scolding look.

“Whoops?”

She was about ready to scold him verbally over that response, but paused at the strange emotion in his eyes.

It was warm, and soft, and made her spark flare up like a flame meeting fresh oxygen.

Jack found himself unable to look away, taking in the gentle curves of her face, the brightness of her eyes, the softness of her lips…

In that one moment, they saw something in each other neither had noticed in the last three hundred years.

The moment was shattered by the sudden neigh of a horse, and the two jumped away from each other in surprise as a Nightmare raced past the open window.