Cigarette Burns

Chapter One

I took a drag of my cigarette that was glued between my lips, lightly dangling from the right side of my mouth. I closed my eyes and held my breath for a few moments. I slightly parted my lips and let the smoke exhale from my body and swarm itself around my face. This felt amazing. I could feel my blood surging through my veins, tingling.

I opened my eyes and grasped the cigarette between my index and middle fingers of my right hand. I parted my lips a bit more and removed the cigarette, only to flick the ashes off the tip and replace it back in its rightful place- between my lips.

I heard a door lightly open and a few moments after close. I heard a sigh of relief, like the one I make when I open my cigarette pack.

"Damn it!" I heard a male voice curse.

I kept my position in my backyard facing the fence, but glanced out of the corner of my eye to my left. It was completely dark outside besides the light the moon was shedding. I saw a male figure looking down in his hands, but I wasn't sure at what. From what I could see of the shadows cast upon his face, his forehead and eyebrows were scrunched in an angry and frustrated glare.

"Hey!" he lightly hollered.

I turned my head fully towards him. He began to walk to the fence separating the ends of our backyards. I turned and began to walk to the waist-high chain link fence.

"Do you have a lighter?" he asked, once I reached him.

I dug in my pocket for mine and tossed it to him. He set his cigarette between his lips in the middle of his mouth and cupped his left hand around it, while igniting the lighter with his right hand. In one flick, he lit the end of the cigarette and inhaled. He exhaled a sigh of relief and tossed me my lighter back.

"Thanks man, I needed this." The right corner of his mouth turned up into a slight smile.

I pulled my cigarette from my mouth, dropped it on the grass and lightly stomped on it. I exhaled my last breath of smoke, nodded my head and turned on my heel.

I didn't turn back as I made my way to the back door of my house, nor did I want too, not with what was already waiting for me.