Cigarette Burns

Chapter Ten

I woke up the next morning and when I realized the date, I sighed. Today was Thursday and this is a long weekend- a four day long weekend. I felt tears form in my eyes as I pounded my fits on the mattress beneath me. I clenched my teeth together and groaned- how was I going to survive this weekend?

I stood up and made my way to the bathroom. I followed my usual morning routine. Even though the weather here in Huntington Beach was hell, I dressed in a thick Metallica hoodie- the extra padding would do me wonders today. I looked down at my legs, besides the fact that they were pale; there were no cuts and only one bruise below my knees, so I decided to throw on a pair of black bermuda shorts. I threw on a pair of socks and pulled my low-top converse on, tying the laces.

I grabbed my keys and headed for the front door but before I could get there, I heard Tony's voice calling me into the kitchen.

"I'm going away this weekend," he announced. I nodded my head in acknowledgement. "I'm leaving at noon today and I'll be back Monday night sometime. Don't do anything stupid, I'll find out, believe me." Tony narrowed his eyes at me and I felt a small chill of fear run down my back.

I left the house with a smile on my face. I had almost five days to myself. Almost five whole days to heal.

I made my way to school and once again met Matt at the front doors. It wasn't on purpose; we just arrived at the same time. "Hey," he smiled as he opened the door for me.

I smiled, "hey Matt." He grinned and nudged my lightly with his elbow as we made our way down the hall. I narrowed my eyes at him playfully and nudged him back. He chuckled at my attempt and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, weaving me in and out of the crowd of people safely. I bit my lip and fidgeted with my fingers, this is how things should be with Tony.

When we got to my locker Matt released his protective grasp from around me and leaned against the same lockers as he did yesterday. "We should hangout this weekend," I announced and then slapped a hand across my mouth and shoved my head in my locker. What am I doing!?

I heard Matt chuckle, "if you can, then I'd love too."

I smiled as I pulled my head out of my locker and laughed at my foolishness. I let my smile reach my eyes, "I can."

Matt lifted his head up, "yea?" His eyes were full of hope. I felt my heart warm at the sight of his hope filled face. How do I still manage to have a heart after all Tony has put me through?

The warning bell alarmed through the school, telling us we had five minutes to get our asses to class. I grabbed my books and shut my locker, "ready?"

Matt pushed himself away from my locker and walked beside me. When we got to our homeroom he opened the door for me and we made our way back to our desks. When I sat down I looked at the front to see a TV. After the final bell our teacher took the class attendance and then put in 'Freedom Writers'.

Half way during the movie Matt nudged me in the arm. I turned my head towards him and whispered, "Yes?"

"Can you hangout tonight?" he whispered.

I nodded.

"What time?"

I thought about that for a moment, "I'm not sure. I'll have to go home after school to find out."

Matt nodded and then looked back at me. "I have a good idea for tonight," he smiled.

"What's that?"

Matt smiled and leaned closer. I could feel his breath against my skin, "it's a surprise."

I gulped. "Okay," I replied in barley a whisper.