Cigarette Burns

Chapter Twenty-One

I felt my breath shorten as Tony's grasp wrapped around my throat tightly. I gasped as my body slammed against his, knocking the breath out of me. My back was pressed against his chest with my eyes closed, as I focused on steadying my breath. I opened my eyes, suddenly realizing that the door had opened, only to find, one angry and tense looking Matthew Sanders.

I kept my eyes fixed on him as he glared death at Tony. His eyes flicked towards me so quickly that I almost didn't catch it. His hands were clenched into fists at his sides as his shoulders moved noticeably up and down as he breathed deep, concentrated breaths through his nose.

I felt Tony breathing very deeply himself, only not so steady. It wasn't hard to see that he was actually petrified of Matt, and the only thing he held on him right now was me, my life. Tony had the upper hand for once in a battle with Matt, and we all knew it. I some how managed to frown at the circumstances. I knew, all along, that I wasn't going to make it out alive. Matt, Rhi, Zacky, Johnny, Brian, and Jimmy had all given me the strength to get to where I was and then in a split second, I lost my standpoint and now, I'm going to die, and it's going to be in front of Matt.

Matt let his glare go from Tony's eyes to look at me. He saw my frown and his face immediately softened, it seemed that his body went almost limp. He glanced back up to Tony and shook his head, "how could you hurt her?" Matt's voice was pained, and it hurt me to hear it. All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around him and tell him everything would be okay, but I was preoccupied at the moment, and I knew everything wouldn't be okay.

Tony relaxed his grip on me for a moment and I could tell he was caught off guard with the sudden mood change and question. I could see him open his mouth a few times and then close it. "What?" he finally asked, in a low voice at that.

Matt shook his head, "how could you hurt Riley? Not only was she defenseless, but she's so beautiful. How can you hurt a woman?"

Tony tensed and I could feel him get angry. "What's it to you? I don't care if she was defenseless, or a woman, she's insignificant."

Matt growled, "Oh, right. I forgot she was worth less then the dirt you walked on. Of course, I mean, why would you treat a woman like a human being?" I could see Matt's muscles flex as each word he spoke got louder. He was beyond angry at this point, and quite frankly, I was expecting him to turn into The Hulk any second.

Tony snarled, "Like I said, what's it to you?"

Matt softened for a second and then went back to being extremely angry, "I love her, damn it! I care about her!"

I froze.

Tony tensed.

Matt growled.

Oh shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short on purpose.