Cigarette Burns

Chapter Five

Second period, I had chemistry. My teacher thought that it would be a great time to watch October Sky. I slept through the entire movie, I didn't realize until the lights were off, just how tired I've grown to become lately. My teacher didn't mind anyone sleeping during movies that she brought in for us to watch, just as long as our class was simply quite and kept the talking to a whisper.

My feet slowly dragged me in the direction of my locker, located near the art rooms. I put my binder and large chemistry text book onto the top shelf and slowly made my way towards the side doors of the school. I opened the doors and instantly shoved my large sunglasses onto my thin and pronounced bone-structured face. This California sun was going to be the death of me- figuratively speaking.

I let out a light sigh and made my way towards the tree I sat under everyday. I wrapped my arms around my torso- hugging myself as I made my way over to the tree. I was unsure if I was cold because I was still exhausted, or if it was from my thinning body of 100lbs. I know that it seemed not as big of a deal to a lot of girls that I was only 100 pounds, but I was fairly tall. If I was shorter like a lot of the girls at my school then that weight would be spread out more through my body- instead of making me look anorexic, but of course, no one has ever noticed. I keep my body hidden fairly well. Not only do I need to hide my stick-like limbs, but I had to cover the bruises and cuts, the scars- internally and externally.

"That's her bro," I heard a faint voice say. I had my head leaned up against the tree I was sitting under, but I had my eyes open, observing my surroundings. I was a people-watcher. A few years ago, when I basked in happier times, I would go to cafes and sit around, watching people around me, taking in their appearance and trying to figure them out. Their personality, life, name, anything and everything to amuse me. I used to be very imaginative, but that part of me is long gone.

I squinted my eyes a little; to make sure what I was seeing was real. The boy that I had ran straight into earlier - whom I thought was a wall - was pointing at me. He was standing with a group of four other boys, including someone I particularly didn't want to see again - but did enjoy observing -, Matt Sanders. To my horror, what I was seeing, was in fact, real. Matt smiled, said something to Jimmy and then... all five of them began their way towards me. I tightened my fists and held my breath, closing my eyes- trying to make it go away.

The next thing I knew, I was no longer in the sun. I opened my eyes and looked up. Matt and his friends were all standing around me, blocking the sun from reaching my goosebump covered body. Matt was smiling at me, and I could see the dimples, making my heart melt. "Hey Riley," Matt greeted, still smiling at me. His eyes hidden from my view, covered with a pair of aviators. Regardless of what was going on in my head, I didn't want to be rude, and I couldn't help myself but feel amazing around them, yet so scared.

"Hi Matt," I blurted out in a whisper of a voice, cracked and sore. My fists tightened from inside of the sleeves of my hoodie. I clenched my teeth slightly.

"Screw this, I'm tired of standing," one boy blurted out before plopping down beside me on my right. I averted my sunglass-covered eyes towards him to take in his appearance. He had black and purple hair, in which some of it was spiked a little. He had a 'Misfits' shirt on as well, clad in jeans, fingerless gloves and converse. He had his ears spaced, snakebites and a septum piercing. He had the most vibrant green eyes that I have ever seen.

He smiled at me kindly and stuck out his arm, "hey there. I'm Zack." I smiled back in a twitch sort of way. I was trying to contain myself, but at his kindness, my lips formed into a slight smile. I stuck out my hand and he clasped them together. I kept my amused eyes hidden, with the fact that someone who looked like he did, was shaking hands with me. A complete and total disaster.