Cigarette Burns

Chapter Seven

I sighed as the bell rung. I looked up to a hand out-stretched in front of me. Matt smiled down at me, and I took his hand. In one swift movement I was on my feet and a little light headed. I'm not sure if I'm just that light or if his muscles are insanely huge and nothing fazes him.

I began walking towards my locker when I heard a voice shout my name. I turned around and saw Matt waving at me, "wait up!" He said bye to the guys and ran towards me, stopping right at my side and begun walking at a normal pace.

I took off my sunglasses when I got into the school and walked to my locker. I sat my sunglasses on my top shelf and grabbed my Sociology textbook. Matt was leaning against the locker next to mine, watching people walk on by, hurrying to class. "What are you up to tonight?"

I froze and accidentally dropped my binder on to the ground, spilling most of its contents. "Fuck!" I cursed quite loudly and literally dropped to my knees. I began grabbing all the papers and shoving them in my binder, telling myself that I would fix them later. I sighed again, becoming frustrated with myself even more for being so clumsy and vulnerable. Matt handed me all of the papers he collected and helped me up off the floor.

I glanced at him and could tell that he was still waiting for an answer but wasn't going to pressure one from me. I bit my lip, "I have to clean the house, including dishes, laundry, mopping floors, vacuuming, dusting, clean the windows..." I trailed off.

"What the fuck? That doesn't sound like something you should have to do." Matt said, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Unfortunately Matt, it is something I have to do, even though it doesn't need to be done." I paused, internally kicking myself, "why were you asking?"

Matt frowned, "I wanted you to come over to our band practice."

"I'm sorry Matt. If I could, then I defiantly would."

"Can I ask you something and you promise to not lie about it?" Matt asked.

I felt my eyes widen a bit, but bit my lip and nodded my head, encouraging him to continue.

"Are you saying all of that as an excuse not to hangout with us... not to hangout with me?" He looked down at the ground when he was finished, instead of keeping his eyes focused on my own.

I felt my body become weak, and I wanted to just break down and tell him everything right there in the hallway of our high school, but I knew much, much better then to do something like that. I did not have a death wish. "No, honestly Matt, it has nothing to do with that. I truthfully have to do all of that. I would defiantly hangout with you guys, with you tonight, if I could."

Matt smiled, hearing my honest response, "okay. Do you want a ride home after school?"

I smiled, "its okay. I only live on Keil Street," I replied kindly.

Matt chuckled to himself, "I live on the next street ov-" he paused. "Did you happen to be out last night and someone ask you for a lighter?"

I nodded my head and then finally made the connection. I laughed, "I can't believe you live right behind me."

"Me neither... you... you live with that Tony guy, that used to go to our school?" Matt asked, his eyebrows furrowing together in confusion, and what looked like possible anger.

I felt my face drain of all colour and that's the last thing I heard before I felt myself begin to fall and everything around me fall to the shade of black.