Cigarette Burns

Chapter Eight

I sat up from the laying position I was in and looked around me to see where I was. The last memory that I had was talking to Matt at my locker. He asked me something and I dropped my books, when I stood up I answered him and then he said something... he pointed out something and my entire body buckled under me and I felt like I was falling. That was the last thing I remembered and now I have no idea where I currently was.

I threw my legs over the side of the little couch I was on and looked around more carefully, letting my eyes adjust. All four walls of the room were white; the couch I was on was a pale green shade that made me feel like I had to vomit. There was a single chair in the far left corner of the room and one door. I stood up and I walked towards the door. I put my hand out to open it but someone from the other side did so first.

I looked up at the person and slightly smiled, "where am I and what happened?"

Matt shook his head, "you're in the nurse’s office in the school, and you just fainted there, right in front of me in the hallway..." he trailed off, his eyes burning holes into the floor.”I'm sorry," he apologized.

I raised an eyebrow, "why are YOU apologizing to ME? You didn't do anything..."

Matt shook his head again, "no, I said something and right after you just... you just went white and fainted."

I raised my right arm and patted the back of my head with my hand- I didn't feel any pain through my body. I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion- I was very frustrated. I didn't like when I couldn't remember things.

"I caught you before you hit the floor," Matt whispered, noticing that I was feeling around for bumps.

My eyes widened a little, "thank-you... um, I'm really sorry. I don't remember why I... I just, I don't really remember anything." I stared at the ground, cussing at myself inside my head for being such an idiot.

"Don't apologize for something you had no control over Riley." Matt paused before continuing, "do you want to leave now- the bell is about to go, actually."

I nodded my head, "I guess I should get on my way to fourth period." I began to walk towards the door when Matt put his hand on my shoulder.

I looked up at him, raising my eyebrows, "Riley, it's the end of the day."

I froze, unable to move. I wasn't sure if I could walk home in this condition. I didn't even remember why I fainted in the first place. All I knew was that I had to try. I couldn't blow my cover and I couldn't be subjected to anymore pain until I was healed... would I ever really be healed?

"I don't care what you say, I'm driving you home." Matt put his hand on the small of my back and guided me out of the nurse’s office and towards my locker. I turned towards the exit, "I don't need anything from my locker." Matt nodded and kept walking towards the exit to the student parking lot.

Jimmy and Johnny were out by a car waiting, which I assumed was Matt's car. Right beside them, Brian and Zacky were walking towards a black Dodge pick-up truck. Brian opened up the driver side door as Zacky walked towards the passenger side. "Hey, remember, band practice tonight," Brian yelled towards us as we were coming into close distance to them.

"Yea, my house?" Matt asked as we reached his car. Brian nodded and jumped in his truck. "Are you coming Riley?" he asked before he shut the door.

I shook my head, "no, but I'll most likely hear you guys."

Brian raised his eyebrow. "She lives behind me," Matt explained while unlocking his door. Brian smiled and then closed his truck door and started the ignition. He pulled away first, leaving us still in the parking lot.

"I should really walk..." I said to Matt.

Matt narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head, "you're not walking in your condition. I don't care that it's only a few blocks away. Listen, I'll drop you off at the corner of your street, okay?"

I sighed and nodded my head, I knew there was no way getting out of this without causing a scene, and that was far from what I wanted to do.

Jimmy smiled at me and opened up the passenger seat door, gesturing for me to get in. I smiled back and got in. He closed the door and I fastened my seatbelt. Everyone followed suit and then Matt began towards our destination.

"This good?" Matt asked as he pulled up towards the curb at the corner of my street. I smiled weakly at him and nodded my head. I undid my seatbelt and put my hand on the door handle as Matt put his hand on my knee. "Listen, if you can make it over later, just come on down. You can use the back door." I smiled and nodded my head, knowing that it wasn't going to happen. Not anytime soon at least.

I said goodbye to the guys and closed the door as I began towards the house a few houses down from the corner. As I turned towards the walk-way up to the house I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw Matt turning around and driving away off to his street. I sighed and walked up to the doorstep; I put my key in it to unlock the door, and then closed it behind me quietly. I stepped inside and bent down to take off my shoes.

"Who the hell was that?" a voice came from the living room to my left.

"Who was who?" I questioned, standing up.

"The asshole that fucking dropped you off, don't play stupid with me, Riley." he said standing up and walking towards me- beer in hand.

Oh Christ...