Cigarette Burns

Chapter Nine

I stood at the marble kitchen counter, cleaning the dishes from dinner, concentrating on getting them perfectly clean. Anything to keep my mind off the pain my body was in, anything to keep my mind off of Matt. I sighed as I rinsed off the last dish and put it in the dish rack. I dried off my hands and limped towards the back door of the house. I opened the door quietly and stepped outside, sitting on the cement steps. I patted my right pocket of my pants and fished out my lighter and cigarette pack. I opened it up and swore quietly to myself, all but one of my cigarettes were broke in half from the falls and blows that I took earlier. I took the cigarette from the pack and placed it between my lips, lighting it up and closing my eyes.

I heard faint sounds coming from the direction of Matt's house. I stood up and walked to my back fence to get a better listen to. It was them practicing one of their songs in his basement. I smiled to myself as I heard Matt singing; "Look what's happening now. What are the reasons why and how? And don't you think it sounds stupid when someone's treated different cause they're not the same as me or you?".

The music soon stopped, I sighed as I continued my cigarette, wishing it would kill me already. My wishes never come true, so I paced around my backyard a little. Tony wasn't home- he had gone out after dinner but there was no telling when he'd be back, so I decided to play it safe... safer and not attempt to go near Matt's house.

As I was pacing back and forth, my thoughts were interrupted when a door slammed. My head darted towards my house but the lights were still off, so I looked towards Matt's house and then ran behind a bush upon noticing that all five boys were standing outside his back door. I silently limped back to my door and carefully took a hold of the doorknob.

"Hey, is that Riley?" I heard a voice that sounded like Brian's question.

My heart began to beat faster and faster as my hands kept slipping from the door knob; finally I got it and shoved the door open with my hip, slamming it shut behind me, finally sliding down the door, landing on my tailbone. "Fuck," I swore at myself.

Through the open kitchen window I heard Matt's faint voice, "no, that's not her." I couldn't help but feel so torn apart at the tone of his voice. It was evident to me that he was clearly lying to them by the tone he used. I don't know if any of the guys believed him or not, but no one questioned him.