‹ Prequel: No Excuses
Sequel: Let Go Gently

Just Hold On.

Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Claude
“Hartsy a grand my man a grand, just to sit in the hot tub with me.”
“That’s ace.” He clapped me across the shoulder
“So do I get a write off for that?”
“Fuck off G” he laughed.
It was fun, we had meet the girls while at training camp and they had struck up a deal, a pic with me for a donation to Hartsy’s non-profit. I had my trunks on and even though they wanted to go topless I hadn't allowed it, much to Hartsy’s disappointment.
“I would have wanted a copy had there been naked chicks.”
“Yeah, well I can’t play like that, at least not in public view."
“You are not married, you can play.”
“I may not be married but she is worth more to me than that.”
“Oh man, another of you boys taking the plunge? What are we gonna do, first Max now you? Maybe I should go visit that PR firm.” He laughed.
“Maybe you should.”
My phone started beeping as my twitter went off. Fuck.
The picture was already viral.
I got in my car after trying to call Ryan a few times.
I knocked on her door and she swung it open,
"Fuck you Claude." She screamed at me.
"It isn't like that."
"That's what you keep saying, a year down the toilet is what I keep feeling."
"I'm sorry."
"Whatever." She yelled as she slammed the door in my face.

Ryan
"Sure, can we go out after the game?"
" yeah that would be fun, I will ask Max what is fun in Raleigh."
I had made plans to go see the flyers, when Claude and I had still been dating. I felt bad asking Raven to go alone.

The Flyers had beat the Canes, so the party would be wild. Hartsy and Simmonds joined us on the ride to the small bar. Jordan and Eric Staal joined us shortly after we arrived.. "So you are the Jordan Staal?"
"I see my reputation precedes me."
"I am not so sure that is a good thing."
"You want to dance?"
"Sure." Damn Jordan and his cute ass dimples.
"So you and Giroux? Better make sure my hands aren't on you when he gets here." His smile was devastatingly beautiful.
"No, we broke up about few weeks ago."
"So you are a free agent then?"
"I guess so but I'm done with hockey boys."
"That's too bad, you are certainly a catch."
"Thank you."
"Just telling the truth."
"How are you a hoe bag and this sweet at the same time?"
"I think hoe bag would be a stretch." He laughed grinding into me.
"If you say so."
" I am just one of the four and I hear most people think Tito is the cutest."
"Tito?"
"Yeah Jared, he is the only one not in the NHL."
"Do you call him thy to his face?"
"Absofuckinglutely." He laughed showing me his dimples again .
"I think you must be the cutest." I smiled up to him.
"You must be the smartest." He kissed me softly on the creek then twirled me in a circle and led me back to the table.
I wandered around the bar missing the comfort of Claude's arms but it had been a month, time to venture back into the dating world.Jordan gave me his phone number just in case I was ever looking for real estate in North Carolina,explaining that the beaches were warm and he had a house there.
"Can I buy you a drink?"
"Jack and coke" I smiled to the handsome stranger.
He was nice looking but was smaller then I was used too.
"Hi, I'm Ryan."
"Jake" he took my hand.
"So what brings you out tonight?"
"Went to the hockey game and came out after for drinks."
"Bet that was fun."
"Yeah, it was ok." I couldn't tell him that I had watched my ex on the ice all night.
The conversation was smooth, taking us right to the job area.
"So Ryan, what do you keep yourself busy with?"
"I work at a PA firm in Philly, you?"
"I work in the hockey field."
"Doing what exactly?"
"I'm a ref."
I just looked at him for a minute trying to place him.
"I don't think I have ever seen you before."
"I was west coast until a few months ago, moved to Philly and do games on this end of the country." His had a great smile.
"You live in Philly?"
"For about a month now. I love Philly, it has grown on me. I am originally from Colorado but it is nice there."
"I didn't catch an accent, so I figured you weren't native."
"Been there around three years."
"So you are a Flyers fan?"
"Yes, I guess, my girlfriend is married to Max Talbot."
"Oh, so you know them personally?"
"Yeah most of them and most of the Penguins too."
"I hate dealing with Crosby, he thinks we should catch every little thing."
"Isn't that why you are out there?"
"Yeah I suppose, but I am only human."
"True that."
I watched him as he gazed over his shoulder at the hockey boys. "It has been nice to be up with the big boys finally."
"Finally?"
"Yeah been in the AHL for a few years, got moved up to NHL after the lockout."
Really good timing. Fuck me...
I wondered if I had to tell him about Claude, I didn't want to, at least not now. No sooner had the thought crossed my mind did Mr. Ginger in all his glory, walk through the door.
"Is that Claude Giroux?"
"Yes it is, can we get out of here find somewhere a little more quiet?"
"Sure there is a dive right down the street."
I collected my bag and left the bar hoping like hell that Claude hadn't seen me.

Claude
"Hey my main man, nice shot." Hartsy laughed.
"Which one?"
"Prideful much?" Max spoke over Raven's shoulder.
"Always."
I grabbed a beer out of the bucket in the table and settled into a chair. That was the one good thing about this place and why we always came back here, these big leather chairs.
"Let's dance, Spandex." Raven spoke as she got out if Max's lap.
I grabbed her hand taking her to the dance floor.
"How are you?"
"I'm great, thanks."
"G, I know you aren't so stop it, with this shit. You haven't smiled in weeks. Have you tried to call her?"
"No, she told me to fuck off."
"She was mad about all that stuff on the net.. I mean, you think Max would get off easy if a picture of him covered in half naked women showed up on social media, before I spoke to him?"
"It was all in good fun. They donated a thousand dollars to Hartsy's charity fund."
"Did you explain that?"
"She wouldn't hear it."
"We'll if you are going to give up that easily ,then you were never worth it."
She spun away from me as Max pulled her in close. I stood there in shock at Raven’s words. I could have anyone I wanted, why would I mess with some chick that wouldn't believe me, when I was telling the truth. I hadn't cheated once in the last year, I had been faithful while I was in germany and since we had been home. I was going to ask her to move in with me permanently and let her apt go, since she practically lived with me anyway. I had thought she was the one.
"How are you handsome?" The girl said as she ran her hands up my chest.
"Tired." I shrugged. I walked by her towards the exit. I dropped my beer on the table,nodded to the boys and slipped through the back door.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story got away from me, I hope you enjoy it! :)