‹ Prequel: No Excuses
Sequel: Let Go Gently

Just Hold On.

Chapter 11

Jordan

The flight to Philly was long, I knew that I wouldn't see Ryan until almost game time, but what was a few more hours. I hadn't set eyes on her since she went back to Philly. We exchanged pictures regularly but to be honest it wasn't what I needed. I needed to feel her, all of her.

We are on the ground
Jordan

Good to know
Ryan

I can't wait to see you
Jordan

Just a few more hours
Ryan

I have to talk to you about something later
Jordan

Everything alright?
Ryan

Everything is great
Jordan

I will see you before the game
Ryan

Can't wait
Jordan

I will probably be the only one in a red Sweater
Ryan

Will make it easier for me to find you
Jordan

:)
Ryan

See you in a little while
Jordan

I placed my phone in my suit’s inside jacket pocket and turned my thoughts to the game
I knew how the last game had been and how Giroux had acted. I also knew that my team was behind me and if he tried to start something, it would be short lived. I hated walking into a situation like this. I had friends on this team, Harsty, Simmonds and of course Max and I didn't want there to be a riff between us.

“Jordan” I heard her call from behind me.
“Ryan.” I pulled her against me and hugged her tight.
“You had better leave some luck for other games.” She laughed into my ear
“I need it all now, surely you have plenty to go around.”
“Maybe, we shall see.” I pulled her up my body, her feet leaving the floor, and kissed her softly on the mouth.
“I missed you.”
“You did no such thing Mr. Staal.”
“Mr. Staal, is my father.” I smirked
“Oh, so I shouldn't call you that in bed?”
“No, you most certainly should not.” My face contorted into a look of disgust, making her laugh against my mouth.
“Can I call you baby cakes, hotty pants, sugar muffin or pookie?”
“As long as you call me something, I will be OK with any of those, But I prefer big pappa.”
“I heard some people call you big bird.”
The tinkling of her laughter caused Eric to stare over at me.
“What?” I shrugged to him as I slid her back to the floor.
“You two are something else.”
“I sure hope so.” I said to him, but never took my eyes off of her.
“Play a good game, I am going to go find my seat.”
“I thought you were wearing my sweater.”
“Thought it would be to much of a distraction before the game.”
“Cause skinny jeans and a tank top aren't? Doesn't leave much to the imagination.” I smiled giving her all my dimples had.
“You and those fucking dimples.” She smiled.
As she was turning I swatted her on the ass. “For luck”
She blushed as Tanya took her hand and led her away.
“You need to focus on the game.” Eric called over to me.
“Focus, its all focus now.” I sat in my stall and thought about the game. I had a feeling it was going to be a rough one. The Flyers were at the top of their game right now and this wasn't going to be a freebie.
The Flyers crowd was riled up as we took the ice, boos of hatred escaped across the crowd.
“Skate hard boys, we have to gain the momentum.” The coach told us after the anthem.
By the end of the first period we were down one goal, the second wasn't much better. I scored a goal in the third which led to a shoot out.
Hartsy missed and I missed mine as well. Max missed and damn if Eric didn't drop one in winning the game for us.
The celebration in the locker room was fantastic. We were hooting and hollering and just being guys. I noticed Tanya as she walked in and Eric covered the room hugging her to him. I didn't see Ryan but knew she had to be close behind.
“Where’s Ryan?”
“Oh, I thought she was right behind me.”
I walked over poking my head out of the room and saw her standing with Raven.
I called her name and she waved over to me. She hugged Raven and kissed the boy on his head then turned walking or rather running and jumping into my arms.
“I am so glad you guys won.”
“Me too, guess you will have to make sure I get some luck before every game.”
“Maybe one day.”
She smiled as she leaned up and kissed me.
As we were walking out of the arena, I saw Giroux walking to his car.
I had Ryan tucked under my arm and had no intention of adjusting the current situation.
He stopped looked up and walked towards us. Ryan hadn't seen him yet so I gave her a small squeeze to make her look up.
“Ryan, Jordan.” He spoke through his teeth.
“Giroux” I straightened up a bit.
“So she locked her talons into you Staal?”
“Claude, I have nothing left to say to you.” Ryan spoke
“You are more than welcome to my sloppy seconds.”
I wanted to punch him but I felt Ryan stiffen beside me.
“ Fuck you Claude Giroux, You had your chance and you blew it. Jordan is my man now and you had better move the fuck on. Don't try coming over here and starting shit between us. He is a good man.”
“Apparently you don't remember what I remember about Staal.”
“I guess you forgot you have no say so in my life anymore.”
“You will never forget me.”
“No, I won’t I will never forget the fact that I wasted over a year of my life on your cheating ass.”
“The best year of your life.”
“Well I am sure I have the best years of my life ahead with Jordan.”
“Whatever, enjoy North Carolina, You had a better shot up here in Philly. At least a better lifestyle.”
“I am pretty sure Jordan makes more money than you, weren't you drafted higher?" she looked over to me.You may have been a first round pick but the money stopped there, oh and by the way your hair cut sucks and that shirt makes you look gay!” She shouted the last few words and I pulled her too me. I felt her pulling away wanting to go after him.
“Gay, ha I fucked you good enough to prove that was never a problem.”
“That’s enough Giroux.”
“Fuck you Staal.”
“Unlike you I will be the mature one in this situation and leave with the girl in my arms. Leave her alone from this point forward. That is my one and only warning.”
“You are warning me? Have you met this crazy bitch?”
I went for him, but Eric caught me before I could actually hit him.
“Let me go.” I shouted at Eric
“No, get in the car and go.”
“Eric...”
“Do it now.”
I felt Ryan tugging at my arm as I stood chest to chest with Giroux. I had a good six inches on him so I stood towering over him.
“ You had better be glad my brother is here.”
“You fucking Staal’s are worthless.”
“Yeah looks like it I think it was the Staal’s that handed you your ass tonight on the ice.”
“Jordan, please.” I heard Ryan plead with me.
“OK”, I turned walking to her car.

We went to a bar with the others and had a few drinks, but to be honest I wanted to have some alone time with her.
“Can we leave?”
“ Yes, whatever you want.”
“We can go back to the hotel and chill there, I am sure it will be a little quieter.”
“In the bar or in my room.?”
She swatted me across the chest as I stood pulling her behind me.
“Tell Tanya bye for me.”
“I will.” Eric answered as he hugged her bye.

I climbed into her tiny car. She laughed at me, considering my head was rubbing the hood.
“You need a bigger car.”
“It is not my car’s fault that you are a giant.”
“In more ways than one.”
“You and those dirty comments.”
“Maybe one day I can talk dirty to you in bed.”
“Jordan, I, I don't know.”
“In good time my love in good time.”
“I just don't want to have to live up to your expectations.”
“I have no expectations, at least when it comes to you. It is what it is, I would wait forever for you if that is what it takes.”
She gave me a sheepish smile, “you would?”
“Yes, I would.”
“Jordan, Imaytransfertoraleigh.” she mumbled
“You may what?” I heard her but I wanted her to say it louder, for my enjoyment.
“Raven told me that I could transfer to Raleigh.”
“Are you going to?”
“I don't know yet, there are openings in Raleigh and Charlotte, I could go and see Tito.”
“Why would you want to move to Charlotte? Raleigh has so many more perks.” I grinned.
“What you?”
“Yes.”
“I just don't want to feel like I am moving here to be with you, I don't want to rush this.”
“ Why else would you move to Raleigh, if not for me.”
“I don't want to be that girl again Jordan, changing my entire life to be with a man.”
“What if I told you I wanted you to be closer. I want this, us.”
“You do?”
“Yes, I do.”
Her smile was bright even in the darkness of the car. The blue lights from the dash, cascaded off of her face giving her an angelic hue.
“You more or less told Giroux that your future is with me, so I don't see what the problem is.”
“I did say that didn't I.”
“Busted.” I smiled
“Jordan what if I told you that I really liked you and that I may even love you as more than just a friend?”
“I would say that I feel the same way and have for a long time.”
“Is that what you wanted to talk about tonight?”
“Not exactly but I am glad we did.”
“What did you want to talk about?”
“Actually, I wanted to ask you to come to the beach for Christmas, My whole family is going to be there and I would like you to be there too.”
“When is that?”
“It will only be for a few days, but I want you there. We are going to drive down after the game on the 23rd and stay until Christmas night. We have a 9 o’clock flight on the 26th so Eric and I will have to be home by then.”
“That is a short break.”
“We only get a few days but they will be days worth spending with you. No Hockey for 2 days, yes please.”
“I thought Hockey was your life?”
“It was.”

Ryan

I sat in the booth as I waited on Jordan to return from the restroom. I had a lot of mixed feelings about what was said about Claude being a dick and Jordan asking me to spend Christmas with him. I was still lost in thought and hadn't even realized that Jordan had returned tot he booth.
“Can I get in on that daydream?”
“What?”
“I want in on whatever you were thinking about, cause you were completely gone.”
“I was just thinking about the future. About us.”
“And?”
“Jordan I am terrified. I want to just move everything but at the same time I want to run screaming.”
“Please don't run, I will chase you down until I find you.” He smirked
“I do appreciate your humor, but I am just having a really hard time.”
“I don't want this to be difficult. I don't want you to have to think about it, just do what your heart tells you to.”
“My heart isn't always reliable."
“Your heart never lies.”
“But it can very easily be persuaded, at least by your dimples.”
“Look Ryan, I want you here more than anything but I also don't want to to feel pressure. We don't have to fight it and I agree that we shouldn't push it. I just hate the fact that I will only get to see you for an evening here and a weekend there. I want more than that for us. I have done that in the past and I don't want us to grow apart because we don't see each other.”
“I don't want that either, I guess I should move to Raleigh, at least before they fill the position that I would be taking.”
“Do whatever you feel you need to, I will wait as long as needed, but I can't promise I won't ever dance with another girl.”
“Don’t even tease about that.”
“Sorry, bad humor.”
“Its fine.”
“Please don't say fine.”
“What?”
“Fine never means good.”
“Yeah well.”
“What?”
“I am fine, I am actually great. I want to be with you. I think I want that more than anything in the world.”
“Good cause It is what I want.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah, pretty sure.”
“That didn't sound very convincing Jordan.”
“DO you need to be convinced?”
“Maybe?”
“OH i can convince you.”
“I am sure you can.”

Jordan
I think watching her leave is the worst thing I have to do. I know it will be weeks before I get to see her again and that sucks.
"I don't want to go."
"I don't want you too."
"You know that even if I move here we will always be apart."
"Yes but it would only be a few days not months."
"I am going to talk to Raven when I get back."
"Are you sure?"
"Pretty sure."
“Well that's good at least.”
“Yeah I think so, a change of scenery could do wonders for me.”
“Yes it can.”
She kissed me softly then turned walking away.

The next few weeks were a whirlwind for both of us. Ryan had decided to look at other options as far as work went, telling me that working for the Hurricanes might not be the best idea. She had interviewed at a few smaller PR firms and also at the PR athletic department with North Carolina State University.
When all was said and done she had taken the job with the school and seemed to feel like it was a good move for her.
“I think getting away from professional sports may be a good thing.”
“Well I don't know that I would call basketball a professional sport.”
“OF course it is Jordan, not every sport has to be full contact.”
“Only the good ones.”
“Whatever.”
“So what are the plans as far as your move?”
“Well I won’t start the new job until November 15th and I will move the week before.”
“That is quick, what two weeks?”
“Yes, two weeks.”
“I will be down next week to look for an apartment.”
“You could just stay here until you found something.”
“Thank you, Tanya offered to, but I need to do this on my own. I need this to be about me.”
“OK, well do what you need to do. Sorry I won’t be here to help you move, we are traveling the next few weeks.”
“I know, I kinda did that on purpose.”
“Why would you do that?”
“Like I said before I need to do this on my own.”
“You may need some men to move that furniture.”
“Yes I could see the headlines now “Three Hurricanes players hurt moving furniture.” I don't think that would go over very well.”
“If you say so.”
“Jordan, please.”
“I just want to help you.”
“You do everyday, making me smile is more important than moving my damn furniture.”
“That’s true.”
“I know.”
“Are you smiling now?”
“I always smile when I talk to you, I can just see your goofy smile and those damn dimples.”
‘Yes, my damn dimples.”
“One last surprise.”
“I love your surprises.”
“I will be down Friday for the game, I know you have to catch a flight right after but at least I will get to see you for a little bit.”
“What time will you be here.”
“Just as you are waking up from your nap, 3ish.”
“I will pick you up from the airport and take your stuff to the house and hey I have an idea.
Why don't you stay at my house, I won't be here so it won't be weird.”
“I was going to stay with Tanya, since Eric is going to be gone too.”
“Yeah, that makes sense.”
“I can stay at your place for a few nights if it makes you feel better.”
“Knowing you are in my bed, yes that will make it better.”
“Jordan, are you ever going to give up?”
“Nope, Its part of my charm.”
“What your stalker charm?”
“You wound me.”
“Every chance I get.”
“I have to run to practice. Call me later.”
“I may text you I have a lot of packing to do.”
“OK, Happy packing.”
“You could help me with that.”
“I am a pro at packing.”
“I bet you are.”
“Talk to you later.”
“Bye Jordan.”
I hung up the phone. It was all becoming real. She was moving here and I would have my girl close.

Ryan.

I walked across the hall to talk to Raven, she was sad to see me go and I was sad to leave her but I needed this adventure. Regardless if Jordan and I worked out I was going to build my life in a new place with new friends. I would always miss Raven, the boys and Sam, I think telling Danny was the hardest, he thought of me as a younger sister and Still wasn't talking to Claude.
Max was going to have a going away party for me and had been very careful not to let Claude know what was happening. I was OK with seeing him, my life had taken another turn and this time in a good way. I was careful with Jordan and wasn't going to jump in feet first like I had with Claude. I thought he was someone he wasn't and I had taken the plunge, I didn't regret, just wish I had paid more attention.