‹ Prequel: No Excuses
Sequel: Let Go Gently

Just Hold On.

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I was wearing a tiny blue dress that Claude hadn't necessarily approved of but was enjoying. Claude reached for his cell phone that started to ring as we were pulling into the restaurant.
“Yeah, I can be there in twenty minutes.” He looked over to me and frowned.
“I have to go meet with Reebok, last minute shit. Can Jordan make sure you get to the bar later?”
“I am sure he can.” He kissed me softly, I got out of the car and walked to the door giving him a small wave as I entered.
“Jordan” I reached up hugging him. He was a good eight inches taller than me so it took some effort.
“Ry” He hugged me back
“Where’s Claude, is he OK with you being here without him?”
“Yeah, we talked about it. Reebok called last minute meeting about something.”
“So, I don't have to try and be good?”
I just rolled my eyes.
We followed the girl from the podium towards a table in the back.
The waitress walked over getting an eye full of Jordan. She looked right over me and I frowned. Jordan saw what was happening and came to my rescue.
“She will have the house white and I will have Molson Draft, Thanks”
He dismissed her before she could speak another word.
“They act like they have never seen beautiful people before.” He gave me a wolfish grin.
“Can I interest you in a Staal sweater to wear tomorrow?”
“No, I always were a Giroux, Thank you.”
“It too bad I can't make you a Canes fan.”
“Flyers forever, but if i am honest I was raised a Sabers fan. Miller, Swoon.” I laughed as Jordan’s face contorted into a frown.
“Miller really?” Jordan asked “Damn bendy goalies.”
“That is exactly right. You know if you look up perfect in the dictionary You will find Lundqvist’s picture right beside it.”
I laughed out loud as this drop dead gorgeous man stared at me.
“I can appreciate beauty.” Jordan winked “but more of the feminine kind.”
“OK, so whats doing up here? I miss the Burgh sometimes, but I do not miss the weather. I get mild winters in NC then warm summers in the bay. I get the best of both worlds.”
“Yeah I guess, but I like the cold. I think I might melt if I had to live down there.”
"I couldn't imagine you being a sticky mess being a problem."
"Jordan Staal."
“Sorry, but really it isn't so bad, the humidity on the other hand can be brutal.”
“Yeah I like to drink my water not breath it.” I laughed.
“I cannot believe you ordered a Philly cheese-steak in this fucking restaurant.” I shook my head.
“I have missed them and I plan on eating at least ten while I am in town.” Jordan laughed.
I looked down at my lobster tail and wished for a minute I had ordered one too.
“It looks really good.” I laughed as Jordan wiped a drop of cheese from his chin.
“Oh it is.” He spoke through the bite of sandwich, he had just taken.
I tried to control my giggle but It turned into a laugh.
“What?” Jordan asked confused.
“You are eating a sixty dollar sandwich.” I said between laughs.
“And God is it worth it.” He smiled
I laughed at Jordan as he became more animated, the more he drank.
“Can I have a bite?”
“Of my sixty dollar sandwich you were just making fun of?”
“Yes.”
“NO.” he grinned
“Please?”
“No.”
“Pretty please with syrup and a cherry on top?”
“ OK, cause I like cherry’s”
He handed me the sandwich and I took one bite and didn't want to give it back.
“That is mine.”
“OK so two bites.”
He reached across the table grabbing the sandwich from my hands.
“I get two cherries for that.”
“Whatever you say Jo.”
He smiled which caused me to smile.
“I love your dimples.”
“Do you now.”
“Yes, It is my favorite part.”
“You mean it isn't my wonderful personality?”
“Ha, no it is definitely the dimples.”
I excused myself to go to the bathroom.
I stopped the waitress as I walked by asking her if she could deliver two cherries on a plate to Jordan.
“Yes, I will.”
I sat back at the table just as she dropped the plate of cherries in front of him.
He looked up at her then over at me.
“You said two cherries.”
He smiled popping them both into his mouth.
I paid for dinner even though he fought me all the way.
“I got it.”
“I have more money.”
“It doesn't matter.”
“Of course it does. Men should always pay.”
“This isn't a date Jordan.”
“Of course it is, its just that we are friends not lovers, much to my dismay.”
“You really are something.”
“Yes I really am.”

We left the restaurant and headed out to the bar that the Flyers frequented
Claude was waiting outside as we climbed out of the cab “Nice thong” Jordan mumbled
“Jordan Staal, are you trying to die tonight?”
“No, but you put it right in my face, What's a boy supposed to do?”
I smiled catching Claude’s hand as we entered the bar.
“Hartsy.” Claude spoke as he slapped him across the shoulder.
“You brought a Staal?” he smiled
“No, she did.” Jordan stuck out his hand
“Good to see you man.” Hartnell grabbed his hand, pulling him into a half hug.
The drinks were passed around the table, as more Flyers showed up. I felt hands go over my eyes.
“Guess who?” I had to try and catch the accent.” Max”.
“Where is Raven?”
“At home with Sam. I had to come see my old teammate. Gronk.” He hugged Jordan to him.
“Gronk?”
“Yeah cause I am a comic book guy that is large and in charge.” He laughed.
“Maybe large but not so much in charge, don't you take orders from your brother now?” Max asked trying his best to keep a straight face.
“Well maybe.” Jordan’s blue eyes twinkled with mischief.
“So who’s my wing man tonight, since Max is married?”
“I’m in,” Simmonds stood.
“Be careful with that one Simmer, he is trouble.” Hartsy laughed.
“And you can't skate...Hartnell down...” Jordan laughed acting like he was losing his balance.
“Touche” Hartsy laughed.
I watched as Jordan and Simmonds walked through the bar.

SImmons was just a few inches shorter than Jordan and I loved that he sounded like a surfer. He was one of my favorites, so sweet and innocent acting. The only difference between his innocent act and some of the others was he could actually pull it off. How could you not love that adorable smile.
Claude pulled me into his lap as I stood to adjust my dress, his hand landing on my thigh, he smiled and gave me a small squeeze.
I looked over our shoulders as Jordan and Simmonds put the moves on a few girls. They laughed and touched the boys a lot and I didn't like it. I am not sure they knew who Jordan was but they knew who Simmonds was.
“Well that didn't take long.” Max stood taking my hand. “Dance with me please.” he bowed in front of me.
“Fuck off Talbo.” Claude laughed as I rose from his lap.
He pulled me in close as we danced.
“Everything good?”
“Did Raven send you here to check up on me?”
“No, she sent me here to make sure Gronk and G didn't fight.”
“They are fine.”
“Well I know G and he is a bit over protective.”
“And Jordan has a girl in Thunder Bay.”
“Yeah looks like it.” he laughed as Jordan was grinding into a bunny on the dance floor not far from us.
“I think his bark is worse than his bite.”
“You would think that, big stupid blonde, just pulls the wool right over all the girls eyes.”
“Not mine.” I smiled.
“I am glad you and G worked things out.”
“Yes we have and it is great. I have moved in now and we shall see how things go.”
“Be good to my boy, he loves you.”
“I love him too, very much.”
“Good.”
Max twirled me in a circle and I ended up in Claude’s arms.
“That dress is killing me.”
“I hoped it would.”
“You are very bad for me, you know that.”
“Bad, how?”
“Cause all I want to think about is you.”
“I don't think that is such a bad thing.”
“It is when I am on the ice.”
“Oh,” it was all I could say. He thought about me when he was playing, it made my heart swell. He leaned in, kissed me softly then pulled me back towards the table.
“You know Giroux if you want to keep her all to yourself you shouldn't let her wear clothes like that.” Jordan smiled.
“Just wanted you to see something that you nor your charm will ever be able to get.” Giroux smiled over at him.
“True, my man, true.” Jordan smiled.

Claude

I pulled her against me. “Ce mois sans vous m'a tué presque, Vous êtes mon amour et mon coeur.” (That month without you almost killed me, You are my love and my heart.)
“I love you.” she spoke softly
The game was getting harder, but I had to keep it real at home. I needed what Max had but wasnt ready to give up my playthings.

I climbed out of bed, pulling the covers back over her body, I had no interest in playing tonight. I wanted to be here with her.
“You know I am coming tonight.”
“I know but I would rather stay cuddled in bed with you.”
“Later, we have later.”
“A whole lot of later, mon amour”
She smiled and rolled over going back to sleep.

I pulled my shirt over my head, jumping on the bike to get a short workout in.
“Working off some steam, my man?” Max asked as he strolled into the room.
“Yeah, I guess.”
“Hard to leave them, never gets easier.”
“All I wanted to do was crawl back in bed with her, I hated my alarm this morning.”
“I hear ya.” He tossed his shirt in a pile on the floor and climbed on the bike beside me.
We rode in silence, until Simmonds walked in.
“Morning dudes.” He smiled
“Morning,” we answered in unison.
“Man, that Staal is a busy boy.”
“You think?” Max smirked
“How in the hell did you ever keep up with him?”
“I never had a problem with that Simmer.”
“Sure you didn't.”
“I love Raven, but I had my days. I was twenty four once too.”
“You say that like you are about to say, walked to school both ways unhill.” Simmer laughed
“Found my magnet, pulls me home every night.”
“You are a lucky man.”
“Very lucky.”
“How are things with you, G?”
“Good.” I knew he was fishing about Staal, but I wasn't biting.
He nodded then climbed on the treadmill and started running.

When I got home Ryan wasn't there.

Home, where are you
Claude

Lunch with Jordan, join us we are at the deli
Ryan
I grabbed my jacket back off the bar stool and headed out the door

On my way
Claude

Ryan

“You really meant you were going to eat ten.”
“Yes, I usually mean what I say.”
My phone beeped so I pulled it from my purse

Home, Where are you
Claude

Lunch with Jordan, join us we are at the deli
Ryan

On my way
Claude

“Claude is on his way”
“Good, maybe I can intimidate him before the game tonight.”
“If only size could do that.”
“It’s more than my size.” he grinned over to me.
“If you say so.”

“Hey, Giroux.” Jordan stood shaking his hand.
“Staal.” He clapped him over the shoulder as he took his hand.
Claude leaned over kissing me softly then scooted into the booth with me.
“So you boys going to play nice tonight?”
“Play nice, what’s that?” Jordan grinned
“No blood, OK?”
“There is no hockey, without blood.” Claude laughed.
“Yeah, it is more exciting when somebody bleeds on the ice.”
“Yeah, well no making each other bleed.”
“Only if he asks for it.” Claude smiled his toothless grin over to me.

Lunch was an fun, the boys took every shot at each other they could. I laughed so hard that I couldn't even eat. Jordan was on his game and everything anyone said was turned into something dirty.
“How can you make a salad dirty?” I asked him
“I can make anything dirty, you have to have the right mind to do it.” He smiled, pointing to his head
“You definitely have that.” I laughed.

Claude excused himself and paid the bill. He pulled me from the booth, looping his arm around my waist. Jordan leaned into hug me but Claude stopped him.
“After the game, I don't want you rubbing any of my luck off of her.”
“Keeping it all to yourself?”
“Yes.” He cautioned him, with his smile.
“ OK, well I will need at least one hug before I leave.”
“I will see you on the ice Staal.”
“Yes, on the ice.” They were both staring each other down.
I watched as the tension started to heighten, Jordan broke out in laughter.
“Almost had you.” He poked at me
“Asshole.” I laughed. They had me worried this would bubble over onto the ice.
“See you guys later.” Jordan stepped by us and walked out the door.
“Please be nice, at least on the ice.”
“You know I will be, but If I see an open shot I am gonna hit him.”
“Of course you are, jealous much?”
“More jealous that Max can put his hands all over you.”
I smiled up at him. “I love you.”
His smiled and kissed me softly.
Jordan was still standing outside signing autographs when Claude and I exited the restaurant.
“Claude Giroux,” someone shouted and we were suddenly very crowded. He pushed through them settling me into the car then turned and signed hats and papers.
“I have to be at the arena by 4, you want me to drop you off, so you can ride in with Raven?”
“Yeah, that would be great.”
We rode in silence, back to the condo.
I made the bed while Claude took a shower. I set his suit out across the end and put a new tie I had bought for him over the jacket.
“Hmmm, too bad it is game day.” Claude spoke as he wrapped his arms around me.
“I will have it on the rest of the night.”
“There is just something about your brown hair covering half of my name.”
“If you say so.”
“This is what we dream of, a hot chick wearing our sweaters and cheering in the stands for us.”
“There are lots of hot chicks wearing your sweater in the stands.”
“But only one that matters.” his smile was soft and I melted into him. He kissed my neck and then pulled away.
“It is hard to focus when you are standing there looking all hot.”
“Oh, I am a distraction?”
“Fuck yeah, you are.” he smiled pulling his boxer briefs up.
I sat and watched him dress. He was meticulous about it. I had watched him dress before, always in the same order. I always laughed at the fact that he put on huge socks with his loafers.
“What?” he smirked
“Why not wear trouser socks instead of those.” I pointed to his white socks
“One less thing to change.” He grinned.

“Hey, lady.” I spoke to Raven as Sam opened the door.
Sam was running around the living room in his Talbot sweater, laughing to himself.
“Hi.” she hugged me.
“You about ready?”
“Yeah, I have to stop by somewhere and feed Sam, you hungry?”
“A little.” The salad I ate was long gone.
“Sam, get your coat and let’s go.”
“YAY, Flyers time.” he shouted.
We pulled into McDonald’s, Raven laughing.
“Nothing like some nuggets to get you ready for the game.”
“If you say so.” It had been at least a month since I had had any food like this. Claude avoided fast food for the most part but once in a while we ate trash food as he called it.
“Sam, what do you want.”
“Chicken nuggets.”
She order his food and then asked what I wanted.
“Fish sandwich.” she turned her nose up at me.
“Not happening for me.” she laughed as she ordered a fruit and walnut plate. SHe paid and then took the drink cups and filled them pulling Sam along behind her.
“Sam, eat so we can go. If you want to see Max before the game we have to get there soon.”
I laughed as he tried to stuff two nuggets into his mouth.
“Sam.” she looked down to him.
“I eating.” he smiled
“Not so much in your mouth, please.”
She looked over at me, exhausted.
“Everything OK?”
“Just normal pregnancy exhaustion.” he shrugged her shoulders.
“Why don't you let me keep Sam, some for you. I could pick him up at daycare and keep him a few afternoons a week, It will give me something to do when the boys are gone and give you some extra nap times.”
She hugged me. “That would be great.”

The arena was already filling as people came in trying to get a look at the boys ahead of the game.
“Max.” Sam yelled as he ran across the room. Max scooped him up and kissed him all over the face. “You ready to see us win?”
“Yes, you win big.”
“We are playing the Canes.” Claude smirked.
“Yes, we are.” Max smiled.

I sat and watched the game, by the third period the Canes were up by one shot and the game was getting rough. I watched as the boys smashed each other into the walls. Jordan checked Max, causing Max to fall on the ice and Raven stood hand over her mouth.
“Fucking Jordan Staal.” she swore.
I watched as Claude skated by tapping Jordan on the shoulder.
The gloves fell and I watched the two men, I had just had lunch with a few hours ago fighting on the ice. Claude landed a punch and then Jordan.. They tossed punches and the crowd went wild. I had a lot of mixed feelings about what was going on, but Max was up and skating over toward the tunnel. Raven left Sam with me and took off towards the locker room.
The fight caused the arena to get louder and louder, Jordan had Claude's sweater up over his shoulders and then they fell to the ice. The refs started trying to pull them apart. They were both yelling at each other and Claude was sent to the box. Jordan skated by giving me a small head tip and that caused Claude to come back at him. He clobbered Jordan from behind, slamming him into the glass right in front of me. The punches were hard and fast, Simmonds pulled Claude off and Eric had Jordan. By the time the mayhem was over, they were both in the box.

“How’s Max?”
“He is fine, busted his lip pretty good, but ok. They are putting a stitch in, so he will be back on the ice in a minute.”
“That’s good.”
“Yeah I guess, What happened between Claude and Staal.”
“I guess Claude went after him because he checked Max?”
“I knew that but why are they both in the box?“”
“Oh, Jordan took a dig at Claude by skating by and acknowledging me.”
“Fucking Staal.”
“Yeah, he got what was coming though. Claude put quite a beating on his big dumb blonde ass.”
“Good.”
We both smiled knowing that it was part of the game, but it was never fun to see your man bleeding. With a minute left they both leap out of the box. They skated hard and fast never looking in each others direction. Eric dropped another goal in the net and that was it. Claude lost his cool breaking his stick against the glass, as he skated over leaving the ice.
“Boy, this is going to be a fun night. Both of those boys were about to get a taste of pissed off Ryan.”