‹ Prequel: No Excuses
Sequel: Let Go Gently

Just Hold On.

Chapter 9

Claude

I left for practice after Ryan had left for work.
Four hours later I was unlocking the door.
I dropped my stuff and was shocked at what I saw.
There was picture after picture of me with girls. laid out on the counter.
“FUCK” I said to myself
I followed the trail all the way to the bedroom, where I found my favorite shade of red stained across my down comforter.
FUCK THIS
I read, my keys were sitting in the middle of the bed and all of her clothes were gone. The pictures of us had been removed and that was that.

“Max, where is Ryan?”
“I don't have a clue.”
“Has Raven talked to her?”
“Raven, have you talked to Ryan?”
I heard muffled talking over the phone.
“What the fuck man?”
“I don't know what you are talking about.”
“Fuck you G.” then click he was gone.

Ryan

Can you pick me up?”
Ryan

I sat in the airport of the only place I knew to go.

Ummm I am in Raleigh
Jordan

I know
Ryan

You are in Philly
Jordan

Not as of five minutes ago
Ryan

Wait you are here?
Jordan

Yes
Ryan

I waited for a few minutes but he didn't reply, I was standing in line at the Starbucks when I heard it beep

Tanya, Eric’s wife is on the way I am still at practice.
Jordan

OK
Ryan

She will text you when she gets there
Jordan

Thanks
Ryan

Are you OK
Jordan

No
Ryan

I will see you shortly
Jordan

I was waiting at baggage claim for about thirty minutes, when I heard my phone beep.

I am walking around baggage claim can you wave or something?
Tanya

I stood looking for someone on their phone, waving my hand over my head

See you.
Tanya

She walked over and looked at me, “Ryan?”
“Yes.” I lost my tears and she pulled me into a hug. She rubbed the back of my head and cooed to me as she did it. I had never met her but I had met Eric.
“What in the world happened?”
“My boyfriend was cheating on me.”
“On you? He must be crazy, look how beautiful you are.”
I smiled but couldn't make any more words.
“Jordan wasn't lying when he told us how pretty you are.”
She grabbed my small bag, Taking my hand and leading me to the car.
“Jordan is very worried about you, he wanted to blow practice but Eric sent me.”
“He is good to me.”
“Yes he is.”
She smiled over at me and for some reason, I felt like she knew something I didn't.
We weaved through traffic and finally arrived at the arena.
“You want to come in or you want me to send him out?”
“I will come in.”
“OK.” we walked in the back door, she smiled at the security guard.
“Mrs. Staal” He nodded
I heard Jordan before I saw him, “I don't know Eric, she just said she was here.”
He turned the corner and stopped looking at me, seeing what had happened all over my face.
“Oh God, Ryan.” he crossed the room in three long strides and had me wrapped in his arms.
“What happened?”
It took some effort to make words as my tears fell against his chest. His strong arms were the comfort I needed.
“Claude has been cheating.” I mumbled against his chest.
“Bastard”
“I found pictures of him on a web site for puck bunnies.”
“How many?”
“I don't know I only printed about fifteen.”
“Bastard.” he said again.
“He doesn't deserve you.” Tanya patted me on the back, then her and Eric disappeared around the corner.
Jordan lifted me and sat on a couch that was in the hall. I curled into him, needing his support more than I thought I would. I wanted to run to Raven, but I couldn't put Max in that situation.
“Does he know, that you know?”
“I left a message for him at the house after Raven and I pulled my clothes out.”
“A message, like a text?”
“NO, I left the pictures and wrote Fuck This in red lipstick, on his prized down comforter.”
“That’s my girl.” he chuckled and it made me smile for the first time in the last five hours.
“I didn't know where else to go.”
“I am glad you came here.”
“I am too.”
I snuggled into him and enjoyed the warmth of his body. He held me until my tears had subsided.

“Lets get out of here and I will take you to the house. Raven knows where you are right?”
“Yes.”
“Good.”
He stood setting me on my feet, he grabbed my hand and led me to the door that I had just come in.
“Are you hungry or anything?”
“No”
He opened my door got me settled then went over to his.
He reached over and took my hand holding it in comfort.
“I am sorry this happened.”
“Thank you.”
“I wanted to tell you want a creep he was, but I knew you wouldn't have listened.”
“You are probably right.”
He looked over at me. “Can I kick his ass now, for real?”
“He isn't worth it Jordan.”
“Then I will make sure Max does.”
“Please just let it be.”
“He hurt my girl, its not gonna happen Ryan, he deserves to be skinned.”
“Jordan, Please.”
He nodded and the rest of the ride was quiet.
I walked through his house taking it all in.
“You can sleep here if you want.” He opened a door that lead to a room that was decorated as any man would. Everything was white, with one red pillow on the bed.
“Thank you Jordan, for everything.”
“No thanks needed, I am glad you are here.” He leaned in and gave me a soft kiss on the forehead. He turned walking down the hall. When he returned he had a glass of tea and a couple Advil in his hand. “Here take this and lay down, I will try and fix something for dinner.”
“Don't go to any trouble on my account.”
“No trouble.”
I heard his phone beep and he pulled it from his pocket I watched as he type away. He looked funny with his big hands, wrapped around the phone.
“Max, was checking on you Raven was worried.”
“Tell them I am fine.”
“I did, now get some rest.”
I climbed into the bed and fell asleep.
“You feeling any better?”
“Yes, actually I am.”
“Good, Eric and Tanya are here. I made some pasta. you feel like company?”
“Yeah, can I shower?”
“Sure,” he lead me down the hall to the master suite, “Shower is there”, He handed me a bag “Tanya brought you some girl stuff.”
“Tell her thank you.”
He hugged me then turned and closed the door.
The warm spray of water was just what i needed. I didn't need Claude, I needed a man who would take care of me like Jordan had. He had been nothing but good to me from day one.
I walked back to my room wrapped in a towel.
“I was just coming to check on you, Good shower?” Tanya asked
“Amazing.”
“Good, I forgot to give this to Jordan.” She handed me a hair dryer.
“You think of everything.”
“Just understand where you are. Thought you would like to have some stuff of your own. I am not so sure Jordan’s body wash would smell as good on you.” She laughed.
“Probably not.”
“See you in a few.”
“Thanks again.”
“Stop thanking us. Jordan said you are family, so you are.”
I got warm fuzzies all over. Being an only child with no parents really left me with no close family and I felt for the first time at home somewhere.

“Hey, good to see you again, wish it was under better circumstances.” Eric leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.
“Thanks for everything.”
“You’re family it what we do, little Staalzy.” He smiled. I realized for the first time that Jordan had the same smile.
“You told him about that?”
“He has talked about you non stop for about what Tanya, 3 months?”
“Oh he has?”
“Yes, that's all we hear, Ryan this and Ryan that.” Eric joked
Jordan punched him and laughed as he walked by.
“So Ryan, what do you do.”
“Jordan hasn't told you?”
“Not that.” Eric beamed.
“I work at a PR firm in Philly.”
“That’s cool, You do Flyers stuff?”
“No I do most of the 76ers stuff.”
“Basketball huh?”
“Well you know, someone has to do it.”
They all laughed and I immediately felt a little more relaxed.

Jordan

I watched her as she talked with my brother and his wife. I wanted her to be OK, I was still shocked that Claude had been so stupid. How could he let a woman this good go.
“We have a game tomorrow, you want to come?”
“I don't know Jordan, Can I see how I feel tomorrow?”
“Sure.”
I wanted her there in my sweater. I wanted to see her cheering for me. I had wanted that for a long time and I knew I had to wait a little longer before I tried to make my play for her heart.

Eric and Tanya left about an hour later.
I watched as Ryan reached for her phone.
She looked over the message then turned if off tossing it across the room.
“Asshole”
“G?”
“Yuppers, guess he didn't get the hint loud enough.”
“Just ignore him.”
“Oh, I plan on it.”

I turned the TV on and flipped channels stopping on the history channel. Ryan snuggled against my chest, "I wonder how many different reasons they have for the Vietnam war?"
"I guess as many opinions as people have?"
"Thank you Jordan."
"Stop telling me thank you."
"I can't help it."
She laid her head against my chest and watched the TV.
2 hours later I was tucking her in bed,"please don't leave me."
I turned walked back, pulled my shirt over my head and climbed into bed with her.
I wrapped her gently in my arms, pulling her close.
We laid in silence for a few minutes, she turned rolling over to face me, “Do you think I am worth it Jordan? I mean really like wedding material?”
“Of course I do.”
Her hand cupped my face and she started to lean in to kiss me. “Ryan,” I cautioned her.
“Jordan,”
“I don't think we should.”
She dropped her hand back to my chest, “I know.”
“Just let me hold you tonight.” I spoke against her hair.

“Good Morning Sunshine.” I spoke to her as I walked back into the guest room.
“Ugh.” she frowned and pulled the covers back over her head.
“Tanya and Eric are expecting us for breakfast.”
“What time is it?”
“Just after 9.”
“Jordan”
“Yes dear?”
“Give me twenty minutes and I will be ready.” she huffed as she rose from bed.
I waited down on the couch in the living room.
“I raided your closet, seems I only grabbed flyers stuff.”
My penguins sweatshirt swallowed her whole, but to be honest I loved it.
“I probably have a few that are smaller.”
“I like this one it smells like you, very comforting.” she winked
“Now who’s incorrigible?”
“I’m sorry about last night, I don't know what happened.”
“I do, you like me.” I gave her my best smile and walked across hugging her.
“I do like you Jordan. I like you more than you know, but it isn't that way.”
I didn't answer her, I could see the battle in her eyes. I wasn't sure if she said it trying to convince herself or me.

Ryan

We met Tanya and Eric at a small restaurant just outside of the city.
“Why so far out?”
“It is quieter out here especially on game day.”
“The crowds are bigger and we can usually eat in private out here.”
“So you get mobbed too?”
“To be honest we have hockey fans that love us but really in the south it is different. When I was in the Burgh, I couldn't go to the fucking grocery store without somebody wanting and autograph. I mean look at me. I fucking gorgeous.” We all laughed at him. He could make me smile if nothing else.
“If you say so.” I smirked.
“You already said I was the cutest.”
“Well I haven't met Marc and you know I love some gingers” I winked at Eric then frowned. The thought of Claude crossing in my mind.
“Gingers are trouble.” Tanya laughed.
“Sure are.” Eric poked her in the side causing her to giggle.
“Please don't giggle like that you sounded like Sid.”
“Like Sid?” I questioned.
“Yeah he laughs like a twelve year old girl.”
“He couldn't, how is that even possible.”
“Look I will show you.”
Jordan pulled out his phone clicked on the screen.
“How do you do that with those big paws?”
“It is not always easy, texting sucks.”
A few cuss words later he had a video up of Sidney and I watched.
He was singing a song and laughing and I swear he did sound like a girl.
“The laugh that broke through was loud and obnoxious, so much so that I had the whole table laughing.
“I have met Sidney a few times but I never caught that laugh. That is freaking amazing.”
“If you say so, nothing like your captain sounding like a girl every time he laughs.” Jordan made a face that had me laughing again.
“So Ryan, how long are you going to stay?” Tanya asked
“I am off of work the rest of the week, I should probably get back and try and get an apartment and such before I have to go back to work, luckily I put most of my furniture in storage.”
I didn't want to talk about it but I knew it had to be done.
“We leave day after tomorrow for New York, can you stay until then?”
“I think so. I will have to call and see about a flight back.”
“Shouldn't be a problem. You can always fly into Charlotte and catch a flight to Philly from there.”
Breakfast was over and the bill had been paid. I knew Jordan was going to go home and take his
pre-game nap, so I thought about how I would spend the day. I guess I could go to the mall or something.
“Jordan, do you mind dropping Eric by the house? I want to take Ryan shopping.”
“I don't mind, you up for it?”
“Sure, sounds great I don't want to be in anyone's way.”
“I usually find things to do away from the house on game day. Don't want to interrupt the beauty sleep.” She laughed kissing Eric and taking the keys from his hand.
“I will see you later at the house. It will probably be after midnight, but if you want to stay up that would be great.”
“I will try.” I hugged him to me, pushing him away as he playfully got a little fresh.
“Jordan Staal.” I swatted at him.
“Just trying to rub a little luck off of my girl.”
“I don't think I am very lucky.”
“To me you are.”
I smiled and waved as Tanya pulled me through the door.
“OK, mall first?”
“That's cool.” I didn't know her very well, but she seemed to be genuinely friendly, very different from the wives up in Philly.
“So are you going to the game?”
“I don't think so.”
“I think you should and we should surprise the boys.”
“What do you have in mind?”
“I always have a plan. It takes a lot to get Jordan’s goat.”
“I bet it does.”

We shopped all afternoon and when it was said and done I had about ten bags of goodies.
“I will be back to get you in an hour.”
“OK, I will be waiting.”

I watched her drive away and turned and walked into the house. Tanya had given me her key and I walked upstairs to take a quick shower. The whole upstairs smelled like Jordan, rain and fresh cut grass. It was so different from Claude, almost refreshing.
I smiled as I showered and did take a dollop of his body wash over my face so I could smell him all night. I pulled out the sweater that Tanya had given me and pulled it over my tank top. I put on my knee high black boots and looked at myself in the mirror. He was going to die when he saw me. I guess one blonde is a good as another.

We arrived at the game but I didn't go down to the locker room. Jordan wasn't supposed to know I was here. Tanya finally made her way to the seats.

“You ready?”
“Yes.”
“OK, when they skate out you move into the aisle, look for him cause he always looks up and gives me a nod. Then you turn and give him a shake.”
“OK, got it.”
The Canes burst out of the tunnel and I watched as Jordan skated around the ice, Eric dropping to stretch. When I saw him look up for Tanya, I turned, shook my ass and then pointed to my sweater giving him a number one. He skated right into the back of Dwyer. I almost collapsed on the floor at the look of confusion on his face.
I took my seat and pulled at the ties on the front of the sweater I was wearing.
Eric skated by laughing and I couldn't help myself but smile back at him.
“Did you tell him what we were doing?”
“Sure did and he was pretending like he was stretching so he could watch the whole thing.”
Our seats were two rows off of the ice so I knew he knew exactly who I was and what I was wearing. He skated by again not looking over at me. I guess I messed up his focus a little.

The canes pulled a win and Tanya and I were laughing as we walked back to the locker room.
“You had to put her in a fucking Rangers sweater?”
“Marc Staal, Number one.” Eric poked him in the chest.
“I was told he was the cutest by some women at the sports store today.”
“Oh you were, do you always agree with everything you are told?”
“Sometimes.” I burst out laughing. Jordan was being a good sport about it, I knew he would have rather seen me in a Canes J Staal sweater, but he wouldn't get that pleasure just yet.
“You almost make me kill Dwyer.”
“You didn't fall down.”
“And you told me I was the cutest.”
“That’s before I saw Marc.”
“Christ.”
“You make it so easy sometimes.”
“You are killing me, here I thought I had you wrapped up with a little tiny bow.”
“You don't know me very well.” I laughed
“Well enough.” He leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.
I felt the shot go through my body. It had never happened before and I know Jordan caught my eyes as they widened, he smiled and I felt myself quake right where I stood.
“You want to get drinks?”
“We can.”
Jordan and I climbed into the car, following Eric and Tanya to the bar.
“Can we do something fun tomorrow?”
“Whatever you want to do.”
“There is a place I want to take you where we can just be silly.”
“You don't need a place to go to to be silly.”
“I know but you do.” He smirked.
“I was pretty silly tonight.”
“I wanted to climb over that glass and pull that sweater over your head.”
“Tanya taped it and sent it to Marc.”
“Well, shit. You know it is going to end up on YouTube, right?”
“So I can watch it again? Excellent.” I laughed and he did too.
We enjoyed our drinks and had some good laughs at Jordan’s expense. Eric told us stories about him when he was a kid, He was a very goofy child according to Eric.
“Can we please jump off of the Jordan as a kid train?”
“And I was enjoying myself so much.”

Jordan

I climbed into bed behind her pulling her to my chest.
“I could get used to this.”
“Me too.” She snuggled into me.

“Hi.” she smiled as I looked up at her.
“Hi”
“We slept late.”
“What time is it?”
“Ten”
“OK well we have all day.”
“Good thing, I have a lot planned.”
“We are having dinner with Eric and Tanya tonight at some restaurant later around six.”
“Oh we are?”
“Yes, I bought a navy blue dress to wear yesterday.”
“ OK well lets get going.”
“I have to shower.”
“NO, not for what we are doing.”
“What are we doing.”
“Racing”
“Racing, what?”
“You’ll see.”
I climb over him and went to the restroom.
I had a moment where I wanted to stop and just sit over him. Maybe even kiss him.
I shook my head and grabbed the toothbrush Tanya had brought me and brushed my teeth.
“You ready?”
“Yes, I will be down in a minute.”
I walked down the stairs in my Staal tank top. I was enjoying eighty degree weather in November. Guess It was nice being in North Carolina.
“That I like.” he smiled and grabbed my hand looking down at me then turning and pulling me behind him to the car.
“In a hurry much?”
He laughed closing my door then walking around to his.

We drove across town to a place called Adventure Landing, they had go karts, laser tag and video games. I noticed the putt putt course as we walked around.
“Laser tag?”
I nodded and we walked in, the gave us our gear then took us into a small room, explaining the rules.
When we came out I had beat Jordan by a mile.
“You are more compact, so you aren't such a big target.”
“Excuses, excuses, Mr. Staal.”
“Yeah yeah, lets see how well you race.”
I climbed into my cart, he tried to climb into his. He was too tall for the kart and his knees were higher than the steering wheel.
He nodded then winked at me, punching the gas. He was ahead but I had the advantage. I passed him and I heard him cursing, “I am winning again” I laughed.
“Sometimes being tall has its disadvantages.”
“You are just full of excuses today.”
He pulled me into the arcade and we played video games and laughed for much of the afternoon.

“I have an errand to run I will be right back”, he left me at the house. It was just before three so it was too early to shower, so I flopped down on the couch and watched TV. He came through the door about an hour later.
“I figured you would be showered all ready.”
“I didn't want to wash the win off.”
He shook his head walking to the bedroom.
I stood following him. He tucked a small bag into his draw then went and pulled out his suit.
“I think this one will be OK with your blue dress, that I haven't seen.”
“It would look great.”
“Eric called and told me to wear a suit.”
“Where are we going?”
“I don't know but somewhere really nice.”

Jordan

I watched as she started to fret.
“What?”
“I haven't been somewhere really nice in a long, long time.”
“You will be fine. You are with us.”
“I know but it is nerve racking.”
“Don’t let it be.”
“What if I am not pretty enough or my hair frizzes out.”
“I don't think that would be possible and have you seen my mop?”
“I love a good hockey helmet mullet.”
“Thanks.”
I pulled the towels off of the bed, that he had laid out.
“I need to shower, so beat it.”
I laughed as he did his best wrist shaking, snapping and twirling impression of Michael Jackson.
“Jordan,”
“OK, OK”
He turned walking out of the room and closing the door behind him.

I pulled the dress over my head and looked at myself in the mirror.
Tonya had insisted on the four inch heel and I was a little worried about them, but I would manage.
When I turned to grab my clutch I saw a box and a card

Thank you for being you
Jordan

I opened the box and I found some earrings, sapphires and diamonds, hanging just about three inches. I put one in my ear and was almost ashamed to even have them on. They were absolutely perfect.