Times Change

Chapter 1

I woke up shivering from the bitter cold, the hole-ridden, worn-out blankets that I had wrapped around me were not blocking against the iciness. It also did not help that I was sleeping on the freezing wooden floorboards either. I slowly got up, aches rippling down my
spine.

"Umph," I let out a sigh and quivered.

Looking around I could tell that my father and brother were both still sound asleep and snoring heavily on the opposite side of the minuscule hut. I rose from my makeshift bed, slipped on a cardigan and put on a pot of coffee and the soup left over from supper last night.
Living in Wakre has been a hassle for everyone since the village is situated at the furthest end away from the capital. It doesn’t receive much aid because of its location. So the villagers make due with what they have.
I wrapped the thin sweater tighter around myself, in the hopes that the snugger it is, the less likely the heat will escape. The coffee kettle began to whistle, and the soup began to bubble and like these were alarms, my father and brother woke up on the dot.

“MMM smells wonderful, Freya,” my father said sleepily, walking over to me and kissing me lightly on the cheek before taking the mug of muddy liquid from my hand.

“Bean stew again?” my brother, Aron, moaned, “I’m tired of beans, especially black, kidney and whatever’s in that pot.”

“Hush, Aron,” I scolded, “Be grateful that there is actually food this morning.”

He mumbled something under his breath, but he took the bowl and sat down at the very used table anyway.
There was an abnormal, pregnant silence that engulfed the room as everyone either ate or drank; not even the sound of an eating utensil could be heard scratching from the bowls. I noticed it and although I knew why, it still bothered me.
A fortnight ago, King Francis passed away from an unknown illness and since the laws don’t permit his wife to take over, his son, Prince Adrian, was next in line for the throne. However, for him to be able to take over the throne, he first must marry to be able to promise to produce legitimate heirs.
Now since the line of eligible royalty has diminished significantly, to avoid mating within the same familial line, Parliament enters all the villages in the kingdom and choses at random with town will provide the bride. This time, surprisingly, Wakre was selected for the first time in over a century.
The reason for my father’s and brother’s silence is due to the fact the chosen maiden’s name is released today. Being that this is the smallest town in the kingdom, there is a chance that my name could have been picked.
The bells in the town’s square began to chime, marking the arrival of the messenger from the capital city.
I, along with Aron and my father, quickly slipped on our shoes and made our way along with every other citizen. Even those who did not have qualified daughters followed in the mob.
Once everyone was gathered and settled in the square, the messenger pulled out a scroll and began to speak.

“Now will all the suitable maidens step forward,” he called out.

There was a shuffling of people moving out of the way so that the twenty girls could make their way to the front, I was included along with them.

“By Decree of the Parliament, for the heir," the messenger continued once everyone was in their place,"Prince Adrian, to be able to step forth and follow in his father, King Francis. He must marry before taking up the crown. On the night of his highness’s death, Parliament gathered together and chose one girl of marriageable age, at random, to wed his royal highness, Prince Adrian. The maiden chosen, must leave her hometown immediately with me to travel back to the capital, Daen, she must also leave her family behind. The parliament chose the village of Wakre to provide the bride and from the of-age girls we chose, Freya Newford.”