Status: Dedicated To My Little Sister, By Heart, Lupe.

Heaven Is In Your Eyes

.DoctorTony.

“Oh my God…” I spoke under my breath.
Tony’s eyes connected straight at mine, holding my expression, “Don’t worry about it.” He finally cracked a smirk, “I didn’t tell you, I don’t expect you to know.”
I bit my lip, my heart sunk to my stomach and I was pretty sure I was bright red. I had spent so much time preparing the chicken that he wouldn’t eat.
“I could make you something else.” I walked towards the refrigerator and began looking for something that would be acceptable for him.
“It’s alright.” He chuckled, “The salad and the potatoes look amazing.”
I shook my head and began looking through my freezer, “I know I have some veggie patties in here somewhere.”
I dug into my freezer to pull out a small green box, ‘Veggie Nuggets’.
“This is all I have.” I showed him the box. The front had a picture of what looked like to be chicken nuggets, but the box promised it wasn’t any animal product.
”That works.” He smiled widely, “You really didn’t have to bother with the food, the guys and I usually get by on cup noodles and chips and salsa.”
I popped the plastic bag inside the box and placed all the frozen nuggets on a white plate, there were around 15, “Seriously?”
“Yeah.” He smiled proudly, “So you cooking a home meal is over the top nice.”
His comment made me feel better about my mistake, “Are you all vegetarians?”
He shook his head and laughed, “Those guys are the biggest carnivores I have ever met.”
I laughed along with him softly, “Then you can take that chicken next door with you.”
“It would get you on their good side.” He smiled.
I swallowed the lump in my throat and placed the plate in the microwave, “Tell them I’m sorry about last night.”
“Stop apologizing!” he grunted.
The sound of the microwave filled the atmosphere as I thought of my next words, “I just feel weird, I had just met all you and here I am being all sloppy. It was completely unprofessional of me.”
Tony stared at me with a wide smirk. He chuckled and rolled his eyes, “Unprofessional?” he crossed his arms in front of his chest, “I didn’t know there were professional drinkers, and no you weren’t sloppy at all, just knocked out and completely gone.”
“I didn’t say anything I would regret did I?” I had been meaning to ask him that question, but was far too embarrassed to even let the words fall from my mouth.
He looked down at his tennis shoes with a small smile, “You did.”
Shit…
I could already feel my face burn, my cheeks would certainly turn bright red, “What did I say.”
I took a short breath and looked straight at me again, “You said ‘Tony is kind of cute.’”
He smirked directly at me showing me his sharp white teeth, a lingering mystery danced around his large brown eyes.
The microwave started beeping loudly, letting me know the food was ready.
I turned away from Tony, avoiding what I had just heard, “Dinner is ready.” I pulled the hot white plate from the microwave. The nuggets were steaming, perfectly hot.
“Of course, you could know a lot of guys named Tony, so I didn’t flatter myself all that much.”
I tried to keep my face away from Tony’s view, I didn’t want to risk him seeing my face.
I pulled out a pair of plates and distributed the nuggets on them, placing more on Tony’s plate than my own.
“You’re not embarrassed are you?” He slid closer to me, “I mean, you have no reason to be.”
I placed some mashed potatoes and salad on the plates and put them on the placemats I had set down earlier, “I’m not embarrassed, I was probably talking about…that new doctor…Tony.”
I walked back into the kitchen to bring two cups and a jug of orange juice. When I came back into the dining room Tony was waiting for me, leaning against the table with an innocent smile on his face, “A doctor huh? With so many tattoos?”
I looked away from him again, “What?”
“You said, ‘Tony is kind of cute, I like all his tattoos.’” His smirk was devious, “I wanna meet think doctor, I’ve never actually seen one that is heavily tattooed.”
I sat down in front of my plate and unrolled my fork from a white napkin, “You should eat before it gets cold and it’s not enjoyable anymore.”
I heard Tony slide into his seat and grab his fork, “This looks amazing by the way. I’m sure even Doctor Tony would approve of this.”
I nodded and stuffed my mouth with a bite of green salad.
Tony dove his fork into the mashed potatoes and brought them to his mouth. I watched as he carefully slid the fork out of his mouth, which moved fluidly as he chewed. Small noises of approval came from him as he nodded, “This is delicious.”
I smiled softly at him, “Glad you like it.”
“I bet doctor Tony would like it too.” He winked placing and entire nugget in his mouth.
“There is no doctor Tony.” I sighed.
“I know.” He chuckled continuing to chew on another bite of food.
“Did I say anything else I should know about?” I took another bite. I looked across the table into Tony’s eyes, which were currently deep.
“You just kept repeating that you needed to get to work,” I watched him stab his salad, “You were the most work-aware drunk I have ever met.”
I laughed and gave him a small nod, “This is probably the first time I ever missed a day of work.”
He looked at me surprised, “Seriously?”
“Yep. It feels weird not being at the hospital right now actually.”
“You’re really attached to it aren’t you?
”Yes, not only because I love the practice, but I love my patients too. Each one has a different personality and how they deal with their diseases.”
“It’s amazing how you love what you do, hopefully that happens for me some day.” He looked down onto his plate and stabbed more nuggets with his fork.
I cleared my throat softly, “You said you play guitar right?”
He looked up quickly with a soft smile, “Yes.”
“My brother left his a couple weeks ago and it’s just sitting in my closet collecting dust, you wanna show me your skills after dinner.”
“I would, but you’ll probably think it was Doctor Tony.”
“Shut up!” I laughed hiding my mouth behind my white napkin, “You’re such a gentleman!”
He chuckled loudly and finished the remainder of food on his plate, “Why are you letting it collect dust miss lady? You don’t play?”
I shook my head, “Not at all, but I’d be honored if you did.”
Tony licked his full lips slowly as a smile crept on his face, “I’ll play for you.”