Status: Dedicated To My Little Sister, By Heart, Lupe.

Heaven Is In Your Eyes

.Compliments.

I had been waiting for Tony to come back for an hour now, he must have pitched the idea to the guys and it was probably more than accepted.
I starred into the television screen blankly watching a documentary on oceanography. Instead of paying attention to the different species of fish there were in our waters I thought about Tony.
I had just met the guy and I was already thinking about him more than necessary – this was unacceptable.
But, I had to admit, he was perfect in every way and over anything else – he was exciting. I needed excitement in my life, I needed someone to give me a little push, a challenge to be out going and do things that I’ve never done before.
Like get drunk at a party and have a massive hangover the next day.
I rolled my eyes as my head continued to throb gently. My headache had gone down significantly but I still felt queasy and thirsty beyond belief.
I gripped my water bottle and squeezed another waterfall into my mouth.
I had to admit there was the bright side to all of this – Tony had stayed by my side.
Feeling our legs intertwined under my bed sheets gave me more than a pleasant satisfaction. And even more impressive was the fact that he didn’t try to get something from me.
He was only there to help me, what a man. What a perfect gentleman.
My head jerked up from the television screen once I heard a steady knock on my front door.
I more than willingly, jumped up from my couch and headed over towards the knock, “Coming.” I called out with the stupidest smile on my face, “Hi!” I smiled lighting up more than I should have when I saw Tony’s handsome face.
He wore his smile perfectly, lopsided – showing a couple sharp teeth, “We’re recording a couple tracks tomorrow! Our buddy is coming down from Los Angeles and he’s going to lend us his equipment!” His face was lovely, his childlike eyes made me feel like there was a golf ball lodged in my throat.
I couldn’t form sentences, I couldn’t think. I just wanted to reach up grab his face with both my hands and bring him close for a small kiss.
I shook those thoughts from my head and flashed him a wide smile, “That’s amazing Tony! Come in.” I moved aside to let him in.
He walked in quickly and made his way to my couch where he plopped down and waited for me to join him before he continued talking again, “It’s going to be amazing! We have this song that Vic just finished writing a couple days ago called Caraphernelia, it’s so good! Its so much fun to play for that song, we haven’t even performed it yet. We’ve only practiced it twice but it sounds so damn good. And Jaime can do those hard vocals, the dude is sick! But our friend said that he was going to try and get someone from an established band so that we break through easier.” He finally paused for some air and shook his head with a small smile, “I’m so excited.”
“That’s amazing Tony! I’m sure it’s all going to come together right before your eyes. Just watch it’ll all be worth it.” I gave him a small smile as I pulled my blanket tighter around my body, “Do you guys have a name?”
“Pierce the Veil.” He fixed himself on the couch, “Do you like it?”
“Pierce the Veil…” I repeated the name. It was definitely different from any other band name I have heard before. It was easy to remember and quick to its point, “I like it.” I smiled.
His face lit up again and the perfect smile I had been getting used to appeared on his face again, “We would jam right now, but it’s getting late and we don’t want to get kicked out.”
“Do you have a couple places to send your tracks?” I began playing with the water bottle between my hands, every time Tony was near me – it made me nervous.
Nervous of saying the wrong thing and sounding silly.
Nervous of making one of those unattractive faces I was infamous for making during regular conversations.
Nervous of even breathing unevenly.
I was trained professionally of course, I could present myself in meetings and be more than successful.
And now I see if Tony was in that conference room I would turn into total mush, a complete screw up.
“Of course!” He laid back on my couch resting his long arms along the top of it. His hands reached the length of my neck making goosebumps rise on my skin. The damn man hadn’t even touched me and my body was already responding for damns sake. I almost hated this power he had over me.
“You know if things turn out well for us, then I could quit my job. I won’t have to deal with my fucking boss anymore.” His smile faded slowly as his eyes drifted to another place, “I’ve had enough of him, he treats all of us like we’re disposable, I can’t wait for the day I could walk away from him with the biggest smile on my face.”
I watched him carefully as he smirked to himself.
“Fucking asshole.” He muttered, “And imagine traveling the world? Wouldn’t that be amazing?”
His attention shot back to me.
“Uhm,” this is exactly what I was afraid of, him catching me off guard, “It would be amazing.”
“It would…traveling the world playing music for thousands of fans,” he stood his head and began chuckling, “But I’m getting ahead of myself. So many bands have endless dreams and end up with little to no success.”
“And many bands see amazing success. You never know unless you put yourself out there.” I adjusted my body so I was completely facing him with my legs folded Indian style in front of me, “I haven’t heard your songs yet, but Tony the way you play…” I couldn’t even think of correct words anymore, “The way you play is magical… its so passionate. The face you wear when a guitar is in your hands is so… its infectious. You’re unbelievable. If the band is anything like you, then you guys have more than a great chance to make it. You’re going to see the world Tony, you will.”
“Thank you.” He said softly.
He reached over and grabbed my hand, bringing it slowly to his lips. He placed a small kiss on the top of my hand and squeezed it gently as he placed it back on to the couch.
“No one has ever said anything like that to me Lupe, thank you for making me feel talented.”
If I could talk right now I would continue showering him with compliments but I couldn’t find my voice. It was lost somewhere between my burning face and the stinging trace of Tony’s perfect lips on my hand.
“I really feel like I can open up to you, like you really understand me… and I don’t even know you.” He smiled softly at me, brushing his thumb over one of my cheeks.
I tightened my jaw, he couldn’t be doing this to me. I had to be dreaming.
“I believe in you.” I almost squeaked, “There’s so much to believe in with you.”
His eyes began to search my face as his hand stayed against my cheek. I watched as he licked his lips and scanned my lips.
He suddenly released my cheek and looked away from me, “Well you should get to sleep, I don’t want you to be tired at work tomorrow. People’s lives are in your hands.”