Status: Dedicated To My Little Sister, By Heart, Lupe.

Heaven Is In Your Eyes

.MedicalCharts.

“Do you have some where you need to be?” A voice creeped up to me, knocking my attention from my watch to her.
It was Naomi, a nurse at the hospital with a spitfire mouth. She raised her eyebrow at me as she leaned her body on the counter next to me.
“Not really.” I answered covering my watch with my white doctors robe, “Why?”
“This is the sixth time you’ve looked at the time my friend,” she set down a pile of medical charts in front of me, “And the work load doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller.”
I sighed heavily as I flipped through the first chart, a 49 year old man had just been moved to the recovery room from open heart surgery, “Did you take his vitals?”
She grunted loudly, “No.”
I shook my head at her making my eyes smaller at her, “You’re a fabulous nurse you know.” I took the first chart and signaled for her to follow me.
“I’m only here to see the blood and guts.” She shrugged, “but, what’s going on tonight huh? You’re never this excited to leave work.”
I tried not to give out how excited I was, “I have a party to get to later, I’m just tracking the time I have.”
“A party?” she asked shocked, “Misses ‘I have no time for anything’ is going to a party?”
“Yes, I’m going to a party.” I chuckled walking into my first patients room.
He was shirtless, hooked up to a myriad of machines. Some helped him breathe, others closely monitoring his heart beat. A large red slash ran down his chest.
“Is it a guy?” her voice was still loud.
I furrowed my eyebrows at her signaling to the man laying on the bed motionless.
“What? He’s sleeping, I’m the one that wants an answer.” She put some gloves on and took a bottle of ointment from a cabinet, “It is a guy isn’t it? What’s his name? Oh I know!”
Her volume made me cringe, this girl was insane.
“Is it that steamy hot doctor, Dr. Walker? Meow!” She took a small pallet and began applying the ointment to the man’s scar.
I couldn’t concentrate on checking this man, instead I was too busy trying to block Naomi’s voice out of my head.
“Not Dr. Walker.” I sighed, writing down some notes on his medical chart.
“Good.” She smiled, “Cuz, I wanna be all over that.”
I rolled my eyes, “It’s not a doctor, he’s a construction worker. And before you say anything! I just met him today, he’s my neighbor and he’s throwing a party.”
She gave me a sly smirk, “Construction worker eh? You gonna be pounding his wood?”
“Oh my gosh!” I spoke up leaving the room, “You are really something aren’t you?”
“Yup! Anyways, that’s your last one, the rest are for Walker.” She smiled
“What time is it?” I began rolling my sleeve up, “12:30am, perfect.”
I walked swiftly toward the locker room, feeling Naomi follow close behind me, “You can’t go like that!”
“That’s why I brought a change of clothes.” A large smile cracked on my face once I reached my locker. I opened it quickly and began removing my scrubs. I replaced them with navy blue skinny jeans and a grey off the shoulder shirt that I had purchased before my shift.
“Well damn, I had no idea you actually owned real clothes.” Naomi laughed
“I’m full of surprises, you’re just too busy drooling over every doctor under the age of 40.” I laughed at her as I slipped my black sandals, as of right now the only pair of heels I owned were business heels, reserved for corporate meetings. And not to mention how unacceptable they were as party shoes, at least that’s the message I got from all the movies I watched.
I let my shoulder length black down, the ends were already slightly curled creating a beachy look, perfect.
“Help me!” I pushed some eye shadow and mascara onto Naomi’s hands.
“Oh girl, these are the bare essentials, don’t you have anything with personality?” she looked at the tin with a skeptical face.
“Just do it!” I sat down in front of her.
He huffed as she opened the tin and began applying the makeup with her ring finger, “I guess it’ll have to do.”
“It’s the only color I have right now.” I kept my eyes closed as she continued to press more makeup on my lids, “You better not be caking it on!”
“Yes doctor!” she mocked me, “There you’re done.”
I opened my eyes and made my way to the closest mirror, “Not bad…” I nodded looking at the peach color on my lids, and a thick layer of mascara covering my eyelashes.
I grabbed my coat and began speeding out of the locker room.
“I don’t even get a thank you?” Naomi yelled as I kept walking.
“Thank you!” I laughed.
“Dr. Carabantes!” Max, a nurse caught up to me, “Mr. Gibson is fresh off the table.”
I stopped and took a deep breath, my job came first after all, “Let me see.” I extended my hand toward the chart he held. I flipped through it and made sure everything showed up normally, “Keep him on pain maintenance until the morning, he seems stable enough.”
With that he gave me a small smile and walked off in the other direction. I raced through the long white corridors hoping no one else would stop me.
I finally made it to the entrance of the hospital without being caught, which would be enough to make me smile.
A sudden wave of knots kicked into my stomach as I started my car. I felt like a teenager, like this was my first boy girl party and the cute guy from English class was going to be there. I laughed at myself as I drove down the avenue away from the hospital.
I honestly had no clue what to expect, maybe a bunch of people would be sitting around the room holding conversations with each other while sipping on alcoholic drinks. Maybe it would be the party where people would be fighting each other, throwing their drinks at each other.
I shook, I really had no idea what to expect.