The Moment I Knew

Your nickel ain't worth my dime

“Mom, I swear it’s okay. I’m fine and it was an emergency, that’s why he left.” I tried to explain what had happened the other night at the movie theatre to my mom, but of course, her motherly instincts kicked in and she started asking all sorts of questions, one after another. I got frustrated.

“Sweetie, I just don’t want you to be hurt.” She said, her sympathetic voice shining through. I sighed. I know she only wanted the best for me and always made sure I was happy. But when I say I’m okay, she should trust me. If I wasn’t I would definitely tell her.

“I understand, but you need to believe me when I say everything’s okay. Dylan explained himself and apologized. We even spent the whole next day together. And he’s here tonight.” Should I have said that? I looked over at Dylan and saw him resting his eyes as he lay his head against the couch.

“Okay,” She paused. “Call me if you need anything. I love you.”

“I love you too.” I said quietly, trying my best not to disturb Dylan. I hung up and walked over to him, sitting on the ground and turned on the television. I wasn’t truly paying attention to what was playing. For some reason, thoughts kept rushing into my head about Amanda. She had called me earlier this morning asking if I wanted to have a ‘girls day’ with her sometime. She had mentioned going out for lunch, which to be honest, didn’t sound like such a bad idea like I thought it would have been a few days ago. Things have been great between Dylan and I. I felt like we had a new bond. Maybe getting to know Amanda would be a good thing. Get to know the enemy. I smirked.

I got up and went upstairs. If I was going to fall asleep anywhere tonight, it would be in my own bed. Not the living room floor that has been piled with blankets for Dylans’ satisfaction. I changed into my pajamas, peeled the comforter away from my pillows and hopped inside. I snuggled up to the blankets and quickly warmed up. I closed my eyes and was just about to fall asleep when my overhead light turned on.

“Uhh, why?” I squinted my eyes and groaned. Flipping over, I buried my face in the pillow.

“You left me down there.” I could feel Dylan sit down at the end of the bed. He placed his hand on the covers that were currently hiding me from the light, and pulled them away from me. I covered my eyes.

“Can you at least turn off the light?” I pleaded. He sighed and got up to shut off the light. “Thank you.” I breathed as he sat back down. “And I left because I wanted to fall asleep in my own bed tonight.”

“You should’ve woken me up then silly. I wanted to sleep with you. But unfortunately I was the one who fell asleep first.” I laughed and opened the covers next to me, inviting him to crawl in next to me. “Hold on, I need pjs!” He hopped off my bed and rapidly stripped down to just his boxers. I laughed as he welcomed himself into my bed. It’s not like he hasn’t been here before.

“I’ve missed this.” I breathed into him as he wrapped his arms around me. His chest radiated heat. I felt his chin rest against the top of my head and it felt like the world stopped. I know how corny that sounds, but it’s exactly what it felt like in the moment. Everything was just how I wanted it to be. I was comfortable, happy, warm, and with Dylan. Before we knew it, we were both fast asleep and morning came as fast as the night went.

“Goodmorning, sunshine.” Dylan whispered through a yawn. His arms were still around me the same way they were the previous night. I positioned myself so I was facing him, and lightly kissed his nose. “Hey, is that your phone?” I sat up and listened intently to the ringing coming from downstairs.

“I think so. It’s probably my mom.” I said, laying back down. “If she really needs me, she’ll leave a voicemail. Besides, I think I have a fun way to spend the morning.” A smile played on Dylan’s lips for a moment before he flashed a bright smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a short chapter, but I've been busy with school and such, and I'm going to try and keep on track with this story and update more often! Thank you for reading.
- Casey c: