‹ Prequel: Of Greater Sires

Lesser Gods

ân

Some things are destined to change. The seasons are destined to turn, like autumn’s frosts slay July. The moon waxes and wanes. In the blink of an eye a beautiful flower will have reached its peak before draining and crumpling back into nothing. Such things were the nature of life, and Raeyn had accepted that at an early age. All people come and go from one’s life, not matter how strong the trust or how faithful the character, something would always tear relations apart. Raeyn had believed this whole heartedly and lived by it for many hundreds of years. That is, until she met Loki. A year had come to pass, and still her love for the God did not waver. Perhaps, even she loved him more now that she had four seasons ago.

She sat up, automatically cringing away from the breeze filling the room. More than anything she wished to retreat to the blankets and the cold, sleeping body of her husband. But there were things to do, and so she stood and covered herself with a wispy little robe before sliding out of the room. She passed her old quarters, which had been emptied and the door closed for quite some time. Every so often, Raeyn enjoyed sitting in the middle of the robin’s egg blue room and remember where all this began.

But this morning, she glided past it and into the kitchen. Quietly, she opened the refrigerator and popped a small can of cat food open before scooping it into a small dish.

“Elske!” she called softly, but the kitten could already be heard skidding its way down the tile floor towards the new smell. Raeyn made soft noises and she pet the creature as it ate. She sat there for a moment, watching the baby animal with a wistful look before forcing herself to straighten up and set to working on breakfast. With the coffee going, she spun through the kitchen with one of her many cookbooks before deciding on French toast.

With that sizzling in the pan, though, it did not take long for another sleepy creature to come wandering into the kitchen, looking to find the new smell.

“Good morning, Sleeping Beauty,” Raeyn said happily, setting a plate down for each of them just as he sat.

Loki, not understanding the reference she just made, raised a brow. “Sleeping Beauty? I think that is you, darling.” He leaned across the table to give her a quick kiss on cheek. “You are my beauty,” he said softly with a quick smile.

She gave him an odd look. “Well fine, then, Sleeping God of Mischief.”

Loki looked up from his French Toast to give her a playful sort of evil grin. “I would get mischievous with you, Sleeping Beauty.”

Raeyn turned a delicate shade of pink but returned his grin nonetheless as he stood quickly, moved around the table, and wrapped his arms around her middle. Just as he appeared there, his lips were on hers, kissing her not so delicately and quickly discarding the robe. So in the end, just as quickly as Loki had appeared in the kitchen, he had scooped Raeyn up and carried her back to the bedroom.

For the fourth time that month, Loki showed up to his kingly duties quite a bit later than he usually did. This probably angered the Chitauri, but what were they going to do? Loki was the one and only key back to their world, so no matter what Loki did, they could not rebel.

Raeyn had already finished cleaning (the only rule she set for Loki after they married was that there would no longer be any soldiers on their floor. This meant that Raeyn herself had to take up all the domestic duties around. She of course, did not mind.) She had already walked all the way across the city to the east side’s market, where she frequented the past year. Naturally, everyone there was not nearly as friendly or welcoming, and the food was not as fresh, but anything to keep Raeyn from having to face her old friends, allies and acquaintances living on the west side was reason enough for her. She avoided that side of town completely, because even though she had forced herself to forget the route to the cellar, she was always scared that she would one day stumble upon it. Perhaps they would recognize her, be friendly even, because they had not an idea of her betrayal.

The kitten had been fed, and currently curled up on Raeyn’s softly dressed lap. Over its fuzzy head was the book that Raeyn was currently busying herself with. Her life was content, and that is all the truly mattered to her. She was no longer alone.