Sequel: Inglorious Return
Status: Shut up and enjoy the ride. Chapters will be up when they're up. I have a life, you know. Sorta.

Starting Fires

Prologue: All Stories Have a Beginning

All stories have a beginning. Perhaps you know mine, perhaps you don't. Either way, everything you know will be turned upside down.

The good guys do the right thing, right? Perhaps? And the bad guys are always wrong? Maybe. Sometimes people do horrible things and that is wrong, but are they the bad guys?

Who am I, then?

November 5, 5883 B.C.

The thirteen of them stood in a circle, all of them wearing purple robes.

"Who was lying on the beach?" one of them asked.

"Just some drunk, probably," another replied, shrugging.

"Bastard threw a sword at us," the first pointed out.

"So, a drunk with a sword," a third one scoffed.

"I've never seen a sword like that before," the first went on, stroking his chin.

"Look, let's get on with this," the second one sighed, just about ready to smack the first guy in the head.

In the center of their circle, a ball of black energy formed, rising slowly into the air. People began to stick their heads out of the windows of their homes; a crowd gathered in the street, watching in horror as the strange figures' power grew larger and larger, ripping holes in space.

"Stop these men!" someone cried.

"Fool!" one of the purple-clad figures exclaimed, "we are not men! We are power!"

No one tried to approach the strange people, too afraid to die in some blast. The inactivity of the authorities lead to the energy being launched skyward where it engulfed the island of Atlantis.

***

The unconscious body of a certain "drunk" on a beach of Atlantis was thrown into the water by the force of a blast of black energy that suddenly lanced out from almost nowhere. His sword that he had thrown earlier lay in the sand.

***

"Seize him," one of the purple-clad figures commanded.

Three other of the similar enigmas grabbed one of their own and pinned him down to the ground.

"What's going on?" the one being assaulted asked, struggling against his captors.

"You stay behind," the first one explained. "You think we didn't know of your plans? Well, you shall have your power, now. Ha!"

Twelve shadows darted back over the city and over the beach as the black energy exploded, ripping a huge hole in space, sucking in the island of Atlantis and, as far as the twelve of them knew, destroying it.

***

But what really happened?

My name is Liam Foley. At least, that is the name of a certain part of my existence. I can explain. And believe it or not, that's the first time I said that to someone who wasn't a police officer or anyone else staring at me with a judgmental glare. Unless you are glaring at me, in which case...

Story time.