Status: New. Biweekly updates.

Phobophobia

Chapter Three

A few more weeks passed, and there was no improvement. Aidan remained in the hospital, in the room, perched on the chair and holding Zander’s hand at all times. She only left if the doctors needed to run a test, and that was the only time she went to get food. She used the bathroom that was through the little door in the room, and never took longer than was absolutely necessary. Everyone- from the nurses and doctors to friends and family- had given up trying to convince her to leave. She was losing more than the rest of them, even her adoptive parents. While they were losing a son she was losing a best friend, a brother, her other half. They all knew that after the first week had passed his chances of waking up were almost gone, and lessening with each passing day. Even so, she stayed there at every hour, and swore to herself she would until he either woke up or died.

So far, it looked like she would be sitting there for the rest of her life.

She, currently, was asleep in the chair by the bed in the room in the hospital. Alone. As usual. After the first week her parents stopped coming every possible moment, instead coming in once a day. She and Zander’s friends stopped coming when they started falling behind in school. Aidan was still irked about that, after all, she only went into school if she had to take a test now. Which was rare. Most of her teachers allowed her to take an online test as long as her parents signed off that they witnessed it to ensure she didn’t cheat. Occasionally, a teacher would come in and give her the test there. But, that was only when they were curious about Zander. Which was fine, it meant she could also get help on clarifying a lesson or two before she actually had to take the test.

It was a day like that when it happened.

Aidan was just starting a Statisics test, and had made it to question five when the heart monitor made a weird noise. Not weird so much as different. She glanced up and saw that Zander’s heart rate had increased the slightest amount, but she had heard it. After weeks, months, of listening to the same rate, the same rhythm that small difference was as large as if the increase had been one hundred beats per minute instead of the measly five.

“Mr. Fink, can I get a doctor? Zander’s heart rate increased and it shouldn’t since he’s in a coma and supposed to be stable.” Aidan asked, briefly explaining. Her teacher looked at her for a moment before glancing at the heart monitor. It was obvious he was skeptical about her story.

“Aidan, if you don’t feel comfortable taking this now I can come back in a few days or next week,” he started, but she quickly cut him off.

“No, I would be happy to finish this test out in the hallway if you allow me to get a doctor to check on Zander.” She insisted. If something was changing with Zander nothing would stop her from finding out if it was good or bad. After another moment Mr. Fink nodded and she went out to find the doctor. It took her all of ten seconds because he had, apparently, been about to go in to check up on Zander. Dr. Case was a tall, thin man with white hair and a salt-and pepper beard goatee thing. He seemed momentarily surprised to see her opening the door since she rarely left the room.

“Hey, Aidan, on your way out?” He asked, recovering from the initial shock quickly.

“No, about to find you.” She shook her head. “Zander- his heart rate increased.” She informed him, stepping aside while he entered the room. He nodded in acknowledgement, telling her that he heard her, while walking over to the various machines. Mr. Fink gave her a curious look, and she gave him a hopeful look while holding up a finger asking for permission to see what was going on. He nodded his consent and they waited quietly for the doctor to assess Zander’s condition.

After a few more minutes he spoke. Speaking in a neutral, but bright tone he stated “well, Aidan, call your parents. It seems something is changing and there is a small chance he might wake up, of course, it is highly likely he won’t. I’ll explain it in full when they get here. I’ll have a nurse check in every half hour for the rest of the day, and if something changes again while no one is here you know how to get someone.” After finishing his little spiel he looked to her and her teacher, both of whom nodded, before smiling and walking out to check in on other patients.

Aidan immediately took out her cell phone and went into the hallway, leaving the door open without thinking about it to ensure Mr. Fink knew it was actually her parents that she was calling and not a friend for answers. After three rings her father answered his work phone. “This is Alexander Fremont speaking.” In a formal voice, the one he adopted when he expected it to be a business call.

Aidan and Zander’s parents had started their own business, her father a photographer and her mother a designer. They weren’t a major label- yet- but were fairly well known around the state, often getting calls about wedding gowns or some other type of formal wear, or requests for her father to be a photographer at some event. They had started their own store, which now had ten other branches in this and two other states together, and made their own clothes as well as their own magazine. Nothing all that big, with fairly cheap prices for the customers, but they were well off. Occasionally a big designer label wanted to buy them, but none had yet given them an offer they couldn’t and wouldn’t refuse.

“Hey, daddy, it’s Addie.” She told him, voice quivering ever so slightly.

“Hey, pumpkin, what’s wrong? Is Zander alright?” He asks, a fatherly tone replacing the detached business one. Aiden was a complete daddy’s girl, but it worked well in her favour.

“Zander’s heart rate changed and they think there is a small chance something else might happen. Dr. Case said that he’ll tell us more when you guys get here tonight.” She explained briefly, and heard her father’s slightly audible inhale.

“Really? Okay. We’ll be there by 6 tonight, no later. Promise. Call me if something happens, and I’ll tell your mom right now. I love you, pumpkin.”

“I love you, too, daddy.” She replied, and they hung up. She was slightly disappointed they didn’t come right away, but who was she kidding? She knew right from the start that they wouldn’t leave to come here unless it was something huge, like Zander actually waking up or… Dying…

“You ready to finish?” She heard Mr. Fink ask after a moment. She made a sound of agreement and went back in, closing the door behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's a few days late. Enjoy.