Status: Hi! Thanks for reading guys! I hope you like this story, i'm really working hard on it.

Whiskey Lullaby

L.A Baby

I hate and love this place, much like I hate and love my life. The streets are trash, and the lights are blinding, the noise deafening. It'd be much better if Brian were here.

"Rosemarie, stop sulking," Aunt Beth scolds me. I ignore her harsh voice and continue to stare out the window of the taxi. "Rosemarie! I told you to do something." I sigh and turn to look at her. Her skin is pale and wrinkled, her brown eyes fierce and cold, black hair lined with grey up in an elegant bun atop her head. She wears a grey dress suit and matching heals today.

"I'm sorry, Aunt Beth." 'You proper hag,' I add on in my head. 'It's not the late 1800's and early 1900's.' Beth gives me a withering glance and turns away from me, staring strait ahead, not slouching.

"I don't want to see you slouching, ever, are I expect you to learn manners. I understand growing up in an orphanage might not have taught you proper manners, but you will begin to learn now. Also you will not be going to some lowly school for commoners, you'll be home schooled."

Well, there goes my life. I won't have a social life, and they are gonna train me to be a stuck up bitch, like Aunt Beth. The taxi stops in front of a quaint little white house with a white picket fence and green lawn. Totally out of place for a place like this.

"Come now, get your trunk and let's go inside." Wordlessly I do as I am told, retrieving my trunk from the back of the small taxi trunk and pulling it up the gravel path as the yellow car drives away. Aunt Beth stops in the door way once she opens the door and takes of her suit jacket. "Zuri, please come here!" Shouts the older woman.

Moments later an African American woman around the age of twenty seven shuffles down the stairs covered by white carpet. Her brown eyes are warm and her black hair in a messy bun. She wears a red dress and white apron.

"Yes, Aunt Beth? Has she arrived? I've gotten her room ready!" She exclaims, excited.

"Yes, yes, she has arrived, take her trunk to her room will you?"

"Of course!" She exclaims. Aunt Beth moves to the side and lets the woman guide me inside and up the stairs. "Miss Rosemarie, I've been so excited to meet you! It'll be good to have another woman around here besides Aunt Beth. I'm Zuri by the way, Beth pays me to keep the house clean and cook dinner when she doesn't feel up to it."

"It's just Rose," I correct. "Sounds like you're a slave if you ask me."

"Oh goodness no! Slavery has been outlawed a long time ago. I'm here on my own and can leave when I want to." We turn into a room with a plain white door. Inside the room is beautiful purple walls and a soft white carpet. The four poster bed has a magnificent deep purple comforter and black pillows. A wide window and window bench is across from the entry with white lace curtains.

"Wow," I gasp.

"You like purple? I thought you would, Beth said pink, but I figured, teenage girls don't usually like pink anymore, do they?"

"I'm glad you decorated my room then, Zuri. " She laughs and begins to help me unpack my trunk into the white dresser beside the bed. While doing that the door down stairs opens and closes again, and footsteps sound on the stairs.

"That must be Almonzo! Come on, you'll love him!" Zuri pulls me out the room and back into the hall way. We go to the room at the end of the hall way and inside is a man around the age of twenty five taking off his stained white shirt. He has curly blond hair and pretty green eyes. He's well built as well.

"Monzo, look who's arrived!"

He smiles a dazzling white smile at me and comes forward to shake my hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, my dear Rosemarie," He drawls, a French accent apparent in his voice. Sexiness.

"I-it's just Rose," I stutter, a blush rising to my cheeks. He smirks and steps away from me.

"Okay, just Rose, I am Almonzo, but mostly people call me Monzo. I work on the grass and in the garden for Miss Beth. And now I must take a shower, so if you will excuse me,"he steps around us and goes into a room opposite this one. Well, at least I won't be alone and unhappy here.

Maybe things will start to look up?
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry, it's later than I intended it to be, and it's not even that good a chapter! Please don't murder me, and drop a comment? I will also be taking suggestions from anyone who wishes to offer them.