Status: active

Une-Belle-Rose

Glee and Grieve, Mirth and Mourn

I lay down on my knees, shivering, all four fore limbs straining against the freshly trimmed grass and then put my drenched little face in my hands. Rivers were ceaselessly streaming down both my cheeks, feeling warm against my skin which was whiter and colder than ever. My dark eyes all soaked and miserable were bursting with pain and misery. I was aware of every single thing around me, be it a drop of dew. My black hair, a complete mess looked as though they were hit by a hurricane.

My blue frock that once bloomed with chirpy memories was now tattered and ragged, ashen grey. My feet were all soggy and numb on the grass. All my tries to calm myself down went up in vain. Panic was rising inside me and I lay there sobbing as the world around me was eventually drowning.

I could've stayed that way forever, and I even did until four fingers settled across my shoulder. They too felt cold and wet as I rubbed my cheeks against them. Then, I looked up and stared at the nightsky, my face brilliant in the moonlight's gleam. All I saw was now the moon, as white and bright as ever along with a bunch of stars singing a lament in the honor of the mighty.

Then I looked behind me and saw her eyes conveying a clear message- the world is hopeless, the world is mournful, and so am I. This seemed to calm me down a bit knowing that beside me, besides me, lay someone, who needed someone.

She was about my own age shredding tears behind a pair of cracked spectacles and saying, "Don't cry, don't...please."

I stood up and offered her a hand. She took it and we walked towards the garden's entrance hand in hand.
We were looking at the burning mansion, still ablaze. The police and a few hundred watermen were doing their best, keeping a safe distance. That is where I was a little while ago, enjoying my aunt's wedding anniversary. It had been the greatest of all parties. I had gone out along with my little sister to catch some fresh air. After a while, giggling loudly, she ran inside. I smiled and started to follow her when everything went wrong and the mansion exploded- BOOM! The force of the blast found me fragile and sent me flying away. I fell hard on my back and lost consciousness. As soon as I regained my senses, I got to my feet, and found myself surrounded by the police. Those people would not let me in no matter how hard I struggled to reach my family. I would have willingly sacrificed myself to save them. They would just not let me in and yell stupid things at me like, "Listen, girl, mind your own business." or "You go in, you die." So, I ran away and broke down in the grass until this girl found me and now together, we saw the mansion burn down.

"What's your name?" I asked breaking the long silence.

"Rosaline. What's yours?"

"Eunice."

Rosaline asked suddenly interested, "You mean as in 'Une Ise'? You're French?"

"No, I am not even a little french and Eunice is E-U-N-I-C-E." I spelled mu name out choosing my words carefully.

"Are you French?" I continued.

"Nah! I just learn it as an extra language. You here alone?" Her expression softened as she heard my story and then told me that her parents too had perished in the fire.

That is when we both decided to live together the rest of our lives, sharing are pleasures and pains.