‹ Prequel: Cats and Dogs

The Golden Quartet: Year 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Why did you make us come this early?” Athena groaned and then glared at Astrid before giving a yawn.

“Because I didn’t want to be late.” Astrid stated as she looked up at the scarlet train in awe.

“Mum?” Athena asked and Astrid turned to see Amilia looking around the platform. “I don’t think he’s here.”

“Hm? Oh, yeah, I know, I was just looking around.” Amilia mumbled.

“For Harry.” Astrid stated.

“Mum, how about you don’t talk to him if you see him today?” Athena asked. “Astrid will be in the same year as him and so, we or she can sort of, ease him into everything.“

Amilia looked at Athena with dull eyes, “Stop being all wise. It’s freaky for a twelve year old.”

“And same house.” Astrid interjected.

“What?” Athena asked looking at Astrid.

“I said, ‘and same house.’ We’ll be in the same house.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes I do. I saw it. I saw him and I, and two other people. We were all hanging out together, wearing Gryffindor ties. Harry and I are going to be Gryffindors!” Astrid practically squealed.

Amilia’s eyes brightened and she swooped up her youngest daughter in her arms, “That’s great, darling! Not that we thought other-wise though.” She put her down. “We knew you would be in Gryffindor.” Amilia was smiling happily as she looked down at Astrid with pride in her eyes.

“But that’s not fair! I was practically sweating when I was getting sorted! I felt like I was going to vomit. He almost put me in Rav- never mind. Come on, I want to see if my friends are on the train.” She quickly threw her arms around her mother’s waist, “I love you, mum!”

Amilia kissed the top of her head, “I love you too.” Athena let go and stepped back to let Astrid hug their mother as well.

“Yeah, well, I guess I love you too and all.” Astrid mumbled with a small smile.

“Yeah, well, I guess I love you back.” Amilia kissed Astrid goodbye and watched as her two daughters boarded the Hogwarts Express and a nostalgic feeling rushed through her, creating goosebumps on her arms.

“Where do I sit?” Astrid asked looking up and down the inside of the train. There were already a few kids in some compartments talking to their friends or sticking their heads out the window to talk a bit more to their parents.

“I don’t know. I’m going to go find Angelina and Katie, though I doubt they came so early.” Athena stated.

“What about those Fred and George boys you’re always raving about?” Astrid smirked when she saw Athena’s face turn pink.

“I don’t rave about them. I complain about them being a pain in my butt. Now, go find your own friends.” Athena waved her hand and then turned around and began making her way up the train.

With a sigh, Astrid turned and decided to sit in an empty compartment near the end of the train. She quickly lifted her trunk over her head, nearly fell over, but then managed to stuff the trunk above the seat. With a sigh she laid down on the seat and closed her eyes to get a bit of shut eye.

~~~

A sharp whistle went off making Astrid jump out of her seat and fall to the ground. “Are you alright?” A familiar voice asked. She looked up and saw as Harry began to help her get up.

“Harry!” She beamed and sat down in her seat across from him. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“I’m sorry for just sitting in here without asking you first, but you were asleep-“

“Harry, its fine.” Astrid laughed and then looked out the window to see students rushing to say goodbye to their parents and get on the train. Excitement bubbled in her stomach and she grinned from ear to ear. “I can’t wait to get there. I’ve waited so long for this day. It’s been torment…” Astrid began to think what did she truly know about torment? Harry had grown up without parents, in a home with muggles who, Amilia said, were awful people. “What about you? Are you excited?”

Harry smiled lightly, “Among other things.”

They felt the train begin to move and Astrid pressed her lips tightly together to contain her squeal of excitement. The door to the compartment slid open and a tall, lanky boy with a long, pink nose, red hair, freckles and brown eyes stepped in.

Astrid recognized him from her vision.

“Is anyone sitting here?” He asked pointing to the seat next to Harry. “Everywhere else is full.”

Harry shook his head and the red-headed boy sat down. The boy quickly glanced at Harry through the corner of his eye but quickly looked out the window when Harry looked back at him.

Just as Astrid was about to ask the boy’s name, the door slid open again. “Hey, Ron.” Two tall, red-headed twins stood at the doorway and Astrid smiled when she realized who they were. “Listen, we’re going down to the middle of the train – Lee Jordan’s got a giant tarantula down there.”

“Alright,” Ron mumbled.

“You’re Fred and George, aren’t you?” Astrid asked looking up at the two identical boys.

They turned to her and grinned, “So you’ve heard of us?” said one of the twins.

“Well, yeah. I’m Astrid Moody, Athena’s younger – but superior – sister.” Astrid smiled.

They laughed, “Oh yeah, Athena’s mentioned you. Said you were a bit of a pain in the arse.” said the other twin.

This made Astrid smile, “Funny, she said the same thing about you two.”

They smirked, “I think we’re going to get along just fine, Astrid.” said the first twin with a wink.

They turned to Harry, “Hey, Harry. Well, we’ll see you all later, then.”

“Bye.” Said the three younger kids as the twins slid the compartment door behind them.

“Are you really Harry Potter?” Ron blurted out and Harry nodded. “Oh – well, I just thought it might be one of Fred and George’s jokes.” Ron said. He then leaned toward Harry a bit and whispered, “And have you really got – you know…”

“The scar?” Astrid stated bluntly and Ron nodded.

“Oh, yeah.” Harry pulled back his bangs to show Ron the lightning shaped scar on his forehead.

“Wicked!” Ron sat back once he had his full of the scar and Harry smiled.

“So, Harry, do you remember anything about that night?” Astrid asked in honest curiosity.

Harry shook his head, “No, nothing. Well – I remember a lot of green light, but nothing else.”

Astrid knew what that green light was. Amilia wasted no time sugar-coating anything along with her crazy uncle, Alastor. Even when Astrid and Athena did not have wands, they still studied spells, but they were mostly advanced, hard and powerful spells.

“Wow.” Ron said and then proceeded to sit and stare at Harry for a few moments.

Astrid cleared her throat and at once Ron realized what he was doing and looked out the window again and his ears turned red at Astrid’s laughter.

“So, what about you guys? Are all your family wizards?” Harry asked in a very interested tone which amused Astrid.

“Er, yeah, I think so.” Ron said. “I think my mum has got a second cousin who’s an accountant, but we never talk about him.”

They turned to Astrid, “Oh, um, yeah. I’ve never heard of a Muggle in our family. But I’m sure we aren’t completely pure – no family really is.” Ron nodded in agreement.

“So you guys must know loads of magic already.” Harry said.

Astrid shrugged, “Maybe. I haven’t really had any real practice because I’ve been wandless up until just recently.”

“I heard you went to live with Muggles,” Ron said. “What are they like?”

“Horrible.” Astrid and Harry said in unison, which earned a confused look from Harry. “Or so I’ve heard.” Astrid added.

“Yeah, well, not all Muggles are horrible. Just my aunt, uncle, and cousin. I wish I had three wizard brothers.”

“Five.” Ron said in a gloomy tone. “I’m the sixth on our family to go to Hogwarts. You could sort of say I’ve got a lot to live up to. Bill and Charlie have already left – Bill was head boy and Charlie was captain of Quidditch. Now Percy’s a prefect. Fred and George mess around a lot, but they still somehow manage to get good marks and everyone thinks they’re funny. Everyone expects me to do as well as the others, but if I do, it’s no big deal, because they did it first. Also, everything’s a hand-me-down. I’ve got Bill’s old robes, Charlie’s old wand, and Percy’s old rat.”

Ron reached into his jacket and pulled out a fat gray rat that wasn’t moving.

“Is it dead?” Astrid asked leaning forward and decided to poke it.

Ron pulled it back, “His name is Scabbers and he’s useless. He’s hardly ever awake.”

“Well, once we get off the train, I could give him a use and feed it to my hawk.” Astrid smiled and Ron gave her a funny look.

“A hawk? You’re not allowed to bring a hawk… are you?” Ron asked, unsure of himself.

Astrid shrugged and leaned back in her seat, “Are you allowed to bring a rat?”

Ron’s ears went pink, “I suppose not...” and he went back to staring out the window.

Harry then went on to tell Astrid and Ron about the Dursleys and how he would have to wear Dudley’s old clothes, sleep in a cupboard under the stairs, and how he never got a proper birthday present.

“Wait – what? What do you mean you never got a proper birthday present?” Astrid asked. Every year for Christmas and birthday their mother would send an anonymous gift to his house. “Oh, my mother will be furious when I tell her that you never received her-“ she stopped and looked up at Harry and Ron who were looking at her in confusion, “never mind. Um, so you were saying?”

“Oh, er, right… Oh, so until Hagrid told me, I knew nothing about being a wizard or my parents or Voldemort-“

Ron gasped and Astrid blinked in surprise.

“What?” Harry asked confused.

“You said You-Know-Who’s name!” Ron sounded shocked and impressed.

“That’s very brave of you, Harry. Not many people dare you say Voldemort’s-“ Ron gasped again, “name. Not even most adults. I, of course, thought not saying a simple name was rubbish. My mom says it all the time. She’s really brave too.” Astrid nodded.

“But I’m not trying to be brave or anything. I just never knew you shouldn’t say the name. See what I mean? I’ve got loads to learn about the magical world… I bet I’m the worst in class.”

Astrid shook her head, “No way. I’m sure you’ll be great. Like Ollivander said,” and then with a rather good impression of Ollivander, Astrid went on to say, “’we are to expect great things from you… great things…’” Astrid also attempted to look misty eyed, but failed and just looked cross-eyed making the boys laugh.

Astrid looked out the window, “Look, we’re out of London already!” They all looked out the window to see lush green fields full of cows and sheep. They were quiet for a while, just watching as they rushed by the fields and soft hills.

Sometime in the afternoon, the door slid open and an old, plump woman with white hair and dimples had a warm smile on her face, “Anything off the trolley, dears?”

Astrid was surprised when Harry jumped up from his seat and walked over to the cart to inspect it. Astrid looked at Ron whose ears went red and then heard him mumble about bringing a sandwich. Astrid rolled her eyes and stood up. She didn’t pity people and she didn’t like it when people felt sorry for themselves.

“Ron, what do you want?” Astrid asked in a demanding tone as she began picking the things she wanted.

“Huh? Oh, nothing-“

“I didn’t ask if you wanted something or not. I asked what you wanted. Now answer. You’re wasting this lovely ladies time.” She smiled sweetly at the woman who smiled back.

“I, uh, erm, just a Pumpkin Pastie is fine.” Ron said timidly.

“Right. I’ll take these for me, and that, that, that, and that for my good friend.” Astrid took the sweets and paid the woman and sat back down and threw Ron his snacks that consisted more of just a Pumpkin Pastie.

Though Ron’s ear reddened even more, his eyes looked eager and thankful. “Thanks, Astrid.” Ron smiled and began to eat his sweets as did she and Harry.

“What are these?” Harry asked, holding up a pack of Chocolate Frogs. “They’re not really frogs, are they?”

Astrid laughed, “No, Harry. They’re just enchanted and impossible to catch.”

“But see what the card is.” Ron said. “I’m missing Agrippa.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“Oh, right. Chocolate Frogs have cards inside them, you know, to collect – famous witches and wizards. I’ve got about five hundred, but I haven’t got Agrippa or Ptolemy.”

Harry unwrapped his Chocolate Frog and as soon as it was completely unwrapped, the frog took one good leap out the window. “See? Impossible to catch.” Astrid nodded.

Harry looked down at the card, “So this is Dumbledore!” Harry turned the card over and began to read the description to himself. Once he was done and turned it back over, he exclaimed in surprise, “He’s gone!”

“Well, you can’t expect him to hang around all day,” Ron said. “He’ll be back.”

“But in, you know, the Muggle world, people just stay put in photos.”

“They do? They don’t move at all?8” Ron sounded amazed. “Weird!

They all continued to eat sweets as Ron and Astrid explained to Harry what exactly he was eating.

The countryside had changed into woods, rivers, and dark green hills as the time flew by.

“Are you positive he’s not dead?” Astrid asked, nodding her head at Scabbers who laid motionlessly on Ron’s lap.

Ron shrugged, “I tried to turn him yellow yesterday to make him more interesting.”

More interesting?” Astrid asked with a raised eyebrow and amused smiled.

“Or, you know, just interesting… but it didn’t work. I’ll show you, look…” Ron pulled out his wand from a pocket inside his jacket and cleared his throat.

Just as he opened his mouth to begin the compartment door swung open to reveal a familiar bushy-haired girl who Astrid immediately recognized from her vision.

You!” Astrid and the girl said in unison as they looked at each other.

“You were that rude girl who shoved into me at Diagon Alley!” The girl stated.

Astrid thought back but shrugged, “Possibly. I don’t usually keep track of random people I bump into.”

She rolled her brown eyes and then asked, “Have any of you seen a toad? A boy named Neville lost his.” Astrid raised an eyebrow at her bossy tone and begin to think that maybe her vision was wrong, seeing as she could never imagine herself being friends with the bushy-haired girl.

“No, we haven’t.” Astrid stated in a slightly cold tone.

The girl’s eyes landed at the wand in Ron’s hand, “Oh, are you doing magic? Let’s see then.”

She took a seat next to Astrid (who quickly scooted away from her) and sat across from Ron who looked taken aback.

“Er – all right.”

Once more, Ron cleared his throat and said:

“Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow.”


Ron waved his wand but nothing happened. Scabbers laid there motionlessly and again Astrid wanted to ask if he was dead but the other girl spoke first, “Are you sure that’s a real spell? Well, it’s not very good, is it? I’ve tried a few simple spells just for practice and it’s all worked for me.” Astrid was convinced her vision was wrong, but it would be the first time. “No one in my family’s magic at all, so naturally is was quite surprising when I received my letter, but I was ever so pleased. Hogwarts is the finest school for witchcraft there is. I’ve learned all our course books by, of course, I just hope-“

I just hope you stop talking soon.” Astrid mumbled making the boys smile and the girl give her a scolding look.

“I’m Hermione Granger, by the way, and you are?” Hermione asked turning to Astrid.

With a heavy sigh she mumbled, “Astrid Moody.”

"I'm Harry Potter," he introduced himself.

“Holy cricket! Are you really?” Hermione said, forgetting about Astrid, to look at the famous Harry Potter. “I know all about you, of course-“

Of course.” Astrid mumbled, rolling her eyes again.

“I got a few extra books for background reading and you’re in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century.

“Am I really?” Harry asked.

“Oh yes! I’d find out-“

“I’m Ron, by the way.” Ron stated, figuring Hermione had forgotten all about him, which she did.

Hermione looked at him with a dull expression, “Charmed.” She stood up, “Well, you three better change, I expect we’ll be arriving soon.” And with that she left their compartment.

“I’d thought she’s never leave. She was awful.” Astrid said honestly and Ron nodded in agreement.

“Whatever house I’m in, I hope she’s not in it,” Ron said and then threw his wand on the seat. “Stupid spell – George gave it to me, bet he knew it was a dud.”

“What house are your brothers in?” Harry asked.

“Gryffindor. Mom and dad were in it, too. I don’t know what they’ll say if I’m not. I don’t suppose Ravenclaw would be too bad, but imagine if they put me in Slytherin?”

Astrid shook her head, “Don’t worry. You’ll be in Gryffindor. I saw it.”

Harry and Ron exchanged looks, “What do you mean, you saw it?” asked Ron.

“I’m a Seer. You know, a psychic?” Ron and Harry’s eyes widened. “Yeah, it’s nothing crazy, like I’ve never had a prophecy or anything that extreme. But sometimes I can see in the not-too-distant future and for some reason, it’s never bad news. I always just see happy stuff happening. It’s a bit useless, unless you need some reassurance.”

“I still think that’s amazing.” Harry said in slight awe and Astrid smiled.

“Wait, so what exactly did you see?” Ron asked.

“I … well, I mean, I’ve never had a false vision before but now that I’ve met her there’s no way it can be real.” This seemed to discourage Ron.

“Why? What happened?” Harry asked.

“Well, I saw you, Ron and I, hanging out together and we were all wearing Gryffindor ties and I think we were in the Gryffindor common room,” Ron seemed to pick up, “but,” Ron’s shoulders fell. “That Hermione girl was also hanging out with us. And we were all laughing – together. As friends.”

Ron sighed, “You’re right. There’s no way that could be real.” Ron seemed to be depressed and Astrid turned to Harry for help, not really being one for comforting.

“Oh, so what do your oldest brothers do now that they’ve left, anyway?” Harry asked and she let out a sigh of relief.

That question seemed to take Ron’s mind off of the houses subject and he answered, “Charlie’s in Romania studying dragons, and Bill’s in Africa doing something for Gringotts. Did you hear about Gringotts? It’s been all over the Daily Prophet, but I don’t suppose you get that with Muggles…”

“Oh, right, someone tried to rob them! My mum told me about that. It was a high security vault too. It’s crazy how they haven’t caught the perp yet.” Astrid said.

“Yeah, mum said it must’ve been a powerful Dark wizard to get round Gringotts, but they don’t think they took anything, that’s what’s odd. ‘Course, everyone gets scared when something like this happens in case You-Know-Who’s behind it.” Ron said.

Harry seemed to fall into thought and Astrid noticed his eyebrows scrunch together and he seemed a bit worried. “Harry, I think Ron and I should explain to you about the greatest sport in the world.” Harry was pulled out of thought and Astrid turned to Ron, “Care to do the honors of explaining Quidditch, Mr. Weasley?” Ron’s eyes brightened and he turned to Harry and began explaining all about the four balls, posts, positions, and describing famous games and techniques and Harry seemed transfixed. Harry was just watching Astrid and Ron debate about what Quidditch position, Chaser or Beater, was more important when the compartment door slid open once more.

Three boys stood there, two looked similar to gorillas, and they were very large and looked very dumb. But Astrid knew who the middle boy was; slicked back platinum blond hair and a pale face that looked similar to a ferret.

Draco Malfoy.

“Is it true?” Draco said. “They’re saying all down the train that Harry Potter’s in this compartment. So it’s you, is it?”

Anger began to bubble in Astrid just from looking at Draco, and listening to him made her even angrier.

“Yes,” Harry said who then looked at the ape-like boys at Draco’s side.

“Oh, this is Crabbe and this is Goyle. And my name is Malfoy, Draco Malfoy.” Ron snickered and Draco turned to look down at him. “Think my name’s funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley. My father’s told me about you all. Red hair, freckles, and more kids than they can afford-“

Astrid suddenly shot up from her seat, hating that smug look of superiority on his face and all eyes turned to her, or, more importantly, to the wand that was in her hand pointed at Draco.

My name is Astrid Moody. Yeah, Moody, I’m sure your pathetic father has told you all about my family.” Draco’s pale eyes were a bit wide as he stared at Astrid and her wand.

“No, Astrid, don’t. You could get in trouble.” Harry pushed Astrid’s wand down but she didn’t sit down.

Draco relaxed a bit and turned to Harry, “You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there.” He held out his hand to shake Harry’s, but Harry didn’t take it.

“I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks.” He said coolly and Astrid smirked and felt a sense of pride for Harry.

Draco’s face went pink and he said slowly, “I’d be careful if I were you, Potter. Unless you’re a bit politer you’ll go the same way as your parents. They didn’t know what was good for them, either-“

THAT’S IT!” Astrid yelled, and roughly tackled Draco to the ground, landing in the hallway of the train.

“Arg! Get off me you wild-“ Draco let out a cry of pain when Astrid’s fist collided with his left eye and another in his ribs. Students from other compartments quickly heard the commotion and gathered into the hall to watch the fight, shouting in excitement.

Crabbe reached and grabbed a fistful of Astrid’s hair to pull her off Draco but both Ron and Harry jumped on him.

Goyle fumbled with his wand, but then managed to point it directly at Astrid’s back and he opened his mouth but the two red-headed boys, known as Fred and George, came through the crowd and each grabbed an arm of Goyle’s and held him to the ground.

“Move! Move! Get out of the way!” Some older students shoved through the crowd, one of them being Percy Weasley.

“Fred, George!” Percy looked ashamed of their behavior and he quickly ran to stop them. It took three older students to tear apart Ron, Harry, and Crabbe, four to break up Fred, George, and Goyle, five to get Astrid off Malfoy. One to pick her up off of Malfoy, two to keep her legs from kicking Malfoy any further, and another two to pry her hands out from his hair.

Malfoy groaned on the floor, “She’s mad! Just like her uncle!” he wiped the blood that was leaking from his nose and looked at it in fright.

“You better remember this every time you think of something cruel to say to my friends! You don’t know and never will know how great and brave Lily and James Potter truly were!” Astrid yelled furiously.

“Astrid?!” Athena pushed through the crowd and looked at the scene before her. “What’s going on?!”

“You’re sister’s amazing, that’s what’s going on.” George said, slightly out of breath to Athena who was next to him and Fred.

“Yeah, if she wasn’t a first year, I’d definitely think about asking her out.” Fred said honestly making Athena whip her head around to glare at him. “What? I said ‘think’ about it.”

“Alright, alright. The fight’s over, everyone back to your compartments. We should be arriving soon.” Percy demanded quickly. As the hallways began to clear and Crabbe and Goyle helped Draco up, Percy walked over to Ron with an outraged look. “Fighting on your first day, before we even reached Hogwarts none-the-less! Mum will not be pleased to hear about this!” And with that, Percy marched away.

Ron’s ears were once again pink and he looked completely discouraged. Fred and George patted him on the back, “It’s alright, mate.” George said.

“Yeah, cheer up, if you want, we can jinx Percy’s food at the feast to yell out an insult about him every time he chews.” Fred offered, nudging Ron who gave a weak smile and shook his head.

“Nah, it’s alright.” Ron said.

“What exactly happened anyways?” Athena demanded to know, placing her hands on her hips like their mother.

“That was Draco Malfoy.” Astrid stated bluntly. “Need I say more?”

Athena rolled her eyes, “You can’t just go around beating up people you don’t like, Astrid!”

Astrid mocked confusion, “I can’t?”

“I’m liking this girl more and more.” George said and Fred nodded in agreement.

“You two, be quiet.” Athena shot at Fred and George who averted their gazes. “Ug, that’s all I need, is for you two to influence her.”

“Look, you don’t even know what happened. Athena, they insulted Lily and James.” Harry was curious as to why they seemed angrier to this news than most people would be. They acted as if they knew his parents personally, which couldn’t be, because even if they ever did know the Potters, they would only be babies.

Athena looked angered, “I’ll kill him.” Athena looked up and down the hall for any sign of which way Draco went but didn’t see any.

“Relax, relax,” Fred said placing his hands on Athena’s shoulder who rolled her eyes and looked annoyed. “Let’s just go back to the compartment and we’ll all devise a plan to publicly humiliate Malfoy and his goons.”

Athena perked up and seemed to relax, “Yes, I like that idea.”

Fred and George led her away from the younger kids with a wink, and Fred began to tell Athena of all the different assortment of pranks that was popping up into his mind and Athena nodded with enthusiasm.

Astrid sighed and they went back into their compartment, closed the door and sat down.

“Why do I get the feeling you’re not telling me something important?” Harry asked Astrid.

Astrid gulped and leaned back in her seat, “About what?”

“About my parents.” Harry stated.

“Oh, them. Right, well, everyone knows who they are.” Astrid said averting her gaze.

“But you and your sister seem to know them a bit more than others.”

Astrid sighed, “Oh, fine. Just to let you know, I was planning on tell you sooner or later… I just didn’t think it would be sooner rather than later.” Harry sat patiently waiting. “Right… I don’t know your parents, Harry. I mean, my sister and I did meet them quite a lot when we were babies, and well, we met you too of course.”

“We met when we were babies?” Harry asked, leaning forward.

“Yeah. You see, our parents… they were all best friends.” Harry’s mouth was ajar and he looked dumbfounded.

“They were?”

Astrid nodded, “Yeah. They were sort of like brothers and sisters because of how close they all were… that’s how we were supposed to grow up… we were supposed to grow up as basically cousins. But because of… you know… that never happened. But my mum wanted you!” Astrid added quickly. “You were like a nephew or a son to my mum. She was supposed to have you but because of some stuff, -I don’t know what, she never told me-, she wasn’t allowed to keep you and she was told it would be best to not make any kind of contact with you.” Harry leaned back in his seat with a thoughtful look on his face. “But my mum couldn’t leave it like that. She still sent you Christmas and birthday presents every year anonymously. That’s why I said my mom would be furious when she finds out those Muggles never gave them to you. My mother told my sister and I amazing stories of your parents and their friendship and their days in Hogwarts. She told me how they all met, how they became friends, how she practically forced your parents to go out with each other.” Harry smiled lightly. “Harry, this might seem odd to you, but she loves you. So much. I know there isn’t a day that goes by where she doesn’t think about you or your parents… She was there, that day you and I met in Diagon Alley. I didn’t tell her then because she would go looking for you and my sister and I didn’t want her to overwhelm you, but, Harry,” he nodded slightly for her to continue, “it would mean so much to her if you met and talked to her when we get back for summer break.”

Astrid was surprised at how quickly Harry nodded in agreement. “Of course I want to meet her! I – I don’t know what to say…” he looked slightly flustered and said once again, “I don’t know what to say.”

“Blimey, Harry. It’s like you guys were destined to be with each other.” They both turned to Ron who quickly realized what he said, “I mean, as in best friends.”

Both Astrid and Harry’s face turned pink and they avoided making eye contact with each other.
Thankfully (or so Astrid thought before she saw just who it was), Hermione once again opened the compartment door and stepped in. “I heard you three got into a fight, already.”

“What’s it to you?” Ron asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, you shouldn’t be fighting, now should you? Honestly, getting into trouble before we even get there. This must be some kind of record.”

“Wow, you hear that, boys?” Astrid said with bright eyes and a smile, “Not even there yet and we already managed to set some kind of new record. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m feeling a sense of pride washing over me.”

Harry and Ron grinned happily as Hermione narrowed her brown eyes at Astrid, “Well, you better just hurry up and get changed into your robes, I’ve just been up to the front to ask the conductor, and he says we’re nearly there.” Hermione stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Fine then,” Ron said scowling at her, “Would you mind leaving while we change?”

“Alright,” Hermione turned to Astrid with a raised eyebrow, “Well, I don’t suppose you’ll be staying to change with them, are you?”

Ron’s ears turned red while Harry and Astrid’s faces turned pink and Astrid stood up. “No, I suppose not.” She turned and riffled through her trunk and pulled out her robes.

Hermione turned to look down at Ron, “You’ve got dirt on your nose, by the way, did you know?” She then turned and left the compartment and Astrid hunched over getting ready to go after her to get changed.

She looked at the boys, “If I’m not back in ten minutes, report my death to my sister.” Astrid sighed heavily and began to leave. “Death by annoyance. Didn’t think I’d go out that way…”

~~~

The compartment door slammed open and Ron and Harry jumped in their seats. They looked to see an annoyed Astrid stepping in and slamming the door shut behind her. “First of all, say anything about the skirt – and you’re dead.” Ron and Harry noted she was fully dressed in her Hogwarts robe, dress shirt (that was untucked) a vest, a skirt that touched just above her knees, white socks that reached mid-shin, and, unlike the shoes they were required to wear, Astrid wore classic black and white Chuck Taylors.

Secondly,” She continued, “Yeah, that vision is definitely false, there is no way I’d ever laugh and be friends with that over-achieving, know-it-all brat! She just kept going on and on about all these new spells she knows how to do and all these little facts about Hogwarts, acting as if I know nothing! Erg! She’s infuriating!” Astrid screeched and threw herself down the seat.

Harry and Ron exchanged looks and then a voice echoed through the train: “We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes’ time. Please leave your luggage on the train; it will be taken to the school separately.”

Astrid shot up with a small squeal, “You guys didn’t hear that.” She said sternly and they both nodded.

They all began to cram the left over sweets into their pockets and then joined the enlarging crowd in the corridor.

The train slowed and then came to a halt. People began pushing their way towards the door and out onto the dark platform. All three of them seemed to shiver simultaneously at the cool night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students and Astrid heard a booming voice: “Firs’ years! Firs’ years over here! All right there, Harry?”

The burly looking giant that Astrid saw outside Ollivander’s in Diagon Alley was standing, holding up a lantern, looking down over his large beard at Harry while beaming.

“C’mon, follow me – any more firs’ years? Mind yer step, now! Firs’ years follow me!”

All first years began shuffling and stumbling to follow Hagrid down the steep and narrow path. It was very dark and the only light was the swinging lantern Hagrid carried in front of the line. It was very quiet, except for the shuffling noise their feet made on the ground and the occasional sniff or cough.

“Yeh’ll get yer firs’ sight o’ Hogwarts in a sec,” Hagrid said over his shoulder, “jus’ round this bend here.”

Astrid grabbed Harry’s sleeve, “I’m so excited I think I might faint. If I faint, please catch me.”

Harry nearly tripped at that request but Astrid quickly grabbed him and laughed, “See? I catch you, you catch me. That’s what friends do, Harry.”

“Er, right.”

There was a loud, “Oooooh!”

The path widened up onto the edge of a large, dark lake that reflected the stars, making it look like the night sky itself. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side of the lake, was a vast castle with many turrets, towers, and sparkling windows.

Astrid gasped as a feeling of warmth and magic rushed through her, “It’s beautiful.” Then added, “and I don’t use that term lightly.”

“No more’n five to a boat!” Hagrid yelled, pointing a thick finger to a row of small boats that were sitting in the water by the shore.

“Come on!” Astrid grabbed Harry and Ron’s hand and quickly pulled them into the nearest boat with a grin. But that grin quickly slid from her face when Hermione and a round-faced boy with dark hair and a nervous look entered their boat. Astrid wasn’t bothered at all by the round-faced boy; it was Hermione that made her eyes narrow into a deadly glare.

“This is Neville,” Hermione said, introducing the nervous looking boy to them, “the one who lost his toad.”

“Oh, sorry about your toad, mate.” Ron said.

“This is Astrid Moody,” Hermione said gesturing to me.

Neville’s eyebrows raised, “Moody? As in…?”

Astrid rose an eyebrow, “Yeah, have a problem with that?”

Neville gulped and shook his head, “N-no!”

“As in what?” Harry finally asked.

“My uncle, he’s a bit… well known in the magical community as being very, um… dangerous.” Astrid answered.

“Yeah, and mental.” Ron whispered to Harry who pried no further.

“And this is Harry Potter.” Hermione said with a satisfied smile when she watched Neville’s eyes widen.

“H-Harry Potter?” Neville gaped.

Harry nodded and waved.

Ron cleared his throat and Hermione turned to him, “Ah yes, this is, ah, I’m sorry, what was it again?”

Ron glared at her, “Ron Weasley.”

“Oh, nice to meet you.” Neville said with a shy smile.

“Right then – FORWARD!” Hagrid said once everyone was in the boats.

The fleet of boats moved all at once, on their own, through the smooth, glass like waters.

Everyone was silent as they looked around and stared at the castle that they slowly got closer and closer to.

“Heads down!” Hagrid yelled once the first boats reached the cliff on the other side of the lake. They all bent their heads as they went through a curtain of ivy that hid the opening on the cliff side. The boats continued to move through what looked like an underground tunnel until they reached a small harbor, and everyone quickly clambered out onto the rocks and pebbles.

“Oy, you there! Is this yer toad?” asked Hagrid who began to walk over towards them, holding a toad in his giant hand.

“Trevor!” Neville cried happily as he held out his hand and Hagrid placed the slimy looking toad into Neville’s tiny hands.

“This way, firs’ years!” Hagrid began to lead once more up a flight of stone steps and then crowded around the large, oak front door.

Excitement bubbled in Astrid’s stomach and she once again took Ron and Harry’s hand unconsciously and squeezed them lightly and watched as Hagrid knocked on the door three times. “Finally.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so, updates with this story will be put up rather quickly because I've already got the whole story written because I already posted it up here once, but it got taken down for reasons I know not.
Anyways, read Cats and Dogs if you haven't already, and don't read the sequels to this story yet! x)